1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Just started building sites and I was wondering if it were possible to setup some kind of an umbrella where I buy chunks of web space and use it to develop multiple sites. Each with a unique .com name.
    Is so how do find it and what are they labeled under. Point being is that it seems to be a waste to develop a site that is under 5mg's and have to pay for 10etc..

Can anyone enlighten me as to how this works

thanx
    krr
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, you could get free URL redirection to a main site with a ton of space.
  5. No Profile Picture

Forgive my ignorence but I have even started in this area. What are you saying in beginner terms.

thanx
    krr
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If the the sites will all be under your name/company name, I suggest that you get one big hosting package on one domain, and have all the other sites get redirected (point the browser to another site) to a folder on that first server. How many and how big are the sites?

------------------
    Jerome Gagner
  9. No Profile Picture

This is just theory as I am just starting out in web design. It seems to me to make a go of it I would need to find a way to give good reliable web service and a web server. To make any money I would need to setup some way to handle all the accounts "figuratively" speaking so that I could buy chuncks of web space and then host the sites with there own .com In one large package. Does sound like a feasible plan??

Would be able to suggest a plan were a webmaster just entering the field could develop his own company as time progresses??

The site would need there own .coms for this to work.

Ideas would be welcome
    thanx
    krr
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We'll you could get a dedicated host (kinda expensive.) You'll be hard pressed to find a dedicated server that is under $100 a month. Windows dedicated servers start at about $300 (the ones I've seen). For my web development jobs, I just use my own reseller account on linux web host and get them 1/2 price.
  13. No Profile Picture

Where can I read about what your talking about so that I can get a better feel for what is going on. Don't like the idea of throwing money into something so that I can learn how it works.
    When you say reseller your talking about buying space from someone else and then setting your own.coms per website that you build??

Any suggestions on how to get my feet wet without breaking the bank??

thanx
    krr
  15. No Profile Picture

I found this article on DevShed very useful as an introduction to domain name registration and web hosting. Perhaps it will answer some of your questions:

The Search For The Perfect Web Host http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/A...n/PerfectHost/

Regards,

------------------
    Jos Schuurmans
    Journalism & Interactive Publishing
    schuur@newsbank.net
  17. No Profile Picture

I thought this thread dead and gone.
    Thanx for posting the thread as I still haven't zero'd in on a way to narrow down the type of information I need to make the decisions neccesary.

thanx
    krr
  19. No Profile Picture

We are soon going to be releasing a reseller account, our customers have been asking for this since the beginning so we are now in the process of setting up more dedicated servers for the purpose, multiple accounts, ftp, php, mysql etc..
    http://www.php4hosting.com/reseller.htm

Regards
    Darren
  21. No Profile Picture

How would this work for someone that is just starting out and with only a handful of accounts

thanx
    krr
  23. No Profile Picture

We allow customers to have multiple domains on most of our hosting accounts, but this doesn't allow for customers to give their customers their own e-mail etc... its just a catchall@domain.com

So most of out customers have several hosting accounts and bill their customers our rates + their bit on top

So we are setting up the reseller package allowing people so have unlimited accounts for their customers in a once a month payment

It will depend on how much you charge for the hosting

Darren http://www.php4hosting.com
  25. No Profile Picture

I appreciate the feed back

thanx
    krr
  27. No Profile Picture

Hello krr,

a week ago I posted following to three other forums, so I post it here too:

My company has rented an Alabanza server for purposes other than reselling or hosting. We have chosen Alabanza for its superb Support and it great online Tools. But since the space is a lot for us, we are interested in sub-leasing in 1 GB partitions.

If you are a reseller who is interested in having some space to make his own plans, then this is ideal for you:

You get 1 GB of USED space (this means, you are not limited to 20 x 50 MB accounts, you might reach the limit when you have sold 100 50MB accounts), 50 IPs and 8 GB of traffic monthly. You get everything that is included with an Alabanza server, like the controlpanel and all included extensions and capabilities. We will not charge for anything that we get for free (like e-mail accounts, nameservers etc.)

You have your own nameservers. Customizable controlpanel to online add your new domains. You can design your own plans (like MB, traffic, mailinglists, mail accounts, features included). We create the plans you need and you can offer them immediately. Your added domains are activated within 10 minutes.

Since we have only two limitations (IP addresses and traffic), we have to charge you if you exceed your limits: For every IP more than the 50 included 2$/month. For every GIG more than the 8 included, 7$/month. This is a little more than what Alabanza charges us but we will have to do the controlling.

IP addresses: You need one per domain/parked domain and 2 per nameserver. This means, you can create 48 domains with no further charge even if you setup your own nameserver. There is no setup fee or monthly fee for any of your domains, so why not just create and delete as many as you wish.

The cost: We charge 100$/month per 1 GIG partition. No setup fees. No technical support. There is a huge knowledge base which you can use. But if you are seriously helpless, of course we will make what we can. The Alabanza staff takes care of the systems 24/7 and we are very pleased.

Since our main business isn't hosting, we have no site offering this service and the offer is limited: until our harddisk is full. If you are interested, please email kosmo@kosmopolis.net for further details.
  29. No Profile Picture

I currently am researching this type of endeavour as it something I will seriously looking into in the next year or so.

thanx for your time and for explaining how things work

krr

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo