Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking for web hosting

I've got a plan to build a local business directory. I have a php script with a backend that allows the admin to enter the business name, address etc.

The idea is to sell ad space to local businesses for a low fee.
    There would be a few options such as just a text ad, banner ad, full page ad along with a coupon option.

I thinking I would need a host that allows a good size data base, it would be nice to have unlimited space and bandwidth.

My question is, which hosting company would you recommend?
  3. Permanently Banned

There are no good web hosts which give away unlimited space and bandwidth. That is marketing gimmick.
    If you need good shared web hosting I can recommend you: hostgator.com or dayanahost.com. Be aware they do not provide unlimited web hosting at all.
    You may want to have a look at VPS providers. I think quillhost.com (very cheap VPS) or knownhost could be good choice for you.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by ad_on; March 12th, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the info. If I may ask, what do you mean by "That is marketing gimmick"?
    is there hidden charges or something?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

is there hidden charges or something?
    In fact nothing can be unlimited, and hosts, that offer unlimited space and bandwidth, are less trusted. However some of them are real, offering unreachably large amount of space and bw.

I think the purpose you are aiming to is possible to be realized at accounts of webhostgiant.com, which I do recommend as the stable and inexpensive hosting provider.

I am not sure they fit all the named requrements, but their plans would definitely suit you by the specification offered. You may have more accurate knowledge from their site or support.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks.. I'll check them out
  11. Contributing User

Try hosting services from such companies as just199, site5 and webhostgiant, they offers resourceful services at competitive prices.
    Support works around the clock and there are no downtime on their servers.
  13. Contributing User

You're going to have to find a plan with real, defined, limits. Typically, hosts that offer you an unlimited amount of something must find something else that they can limit. This is why they enforce very rigid limitations to your account - in terms of what it can or can't be used for. The idea is to remove all possible website niches which may be a threat to the "unlimited" ploy they're pulling. For example, most of the "oversellers" (a term coined to describe some "unlimited" hosts) do not allow file sharing websites. This is because such an account would actually utilize a large amount of web space/ transfer. Naturally, they wouldn't be able to accommodate it.

Here's an article directly from our blog on the matter:
    Overselling refers to the selling of resources that surpass the assets allocated to the server itself. This is widely used in the Hosting Industry to appeal to the public. It is used to lure unsuspecting customers into thinking that they’re getting “more for their money”. In reality, they are falling into a marketing ploy, and essentially get the exact opposite.

To take a closer look at this matter, let’s go through an example. Let’s say we-are-the-best-hosting.net has one server (because they’re just starting out). In order to compete, they adapt the overselling technique and sell 50GB web space for just $5.00 monthly. To a customer this may seem normal – “everyone’s doing that”. He would essentially be correct, “everyone” IS doing it; however it sure isn’t normal! Let’s go further in assuming that this server only has 150GB of disk space, and that it costs $90.00 to uphold. Well, if each of we-are-the-best-hosting.net’s customers receives 50GB of web space, ideally, they would only be able to store 3 accounts – and make $15.00 monthly. However, with overselling, they can simply sell 20 accounts – and make $100.00 monthly (leaving them with a profit of $10.00).

Overselling is very useful in the Hosting Industry; however it can have a very large impact on clients. By overselling, this particular web host has promised 20 clients 50GB of web space. Essentially, they have sold 1TB of web space, but can only provide 150GB. In order to ensure that things don’t go haywire, they begin to limit what you can do with your hosting in their ToS. When things get bad, they terminate a few clients and get right back to overselling.
    Again, if you want to stay clear of all this - simply choose a web host that provides definite limits. No worrying about breaking absurd ToS restrictions, and probably a faster, cleaner experience.

Comments on this post

• brianbak agrees : Great Post
    Last edited by andrei155; March 18th, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
    No Overselling Guarantee
    Now Includes a Free Domain
    BLD Hosting - Web Hosting | Web Hosting Blog | Web Hosting Forum
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

wow.. thanks for the info. What a rip on the overselling. Wish the world would just be honest and quit thinking about the almighty buck and nothing else.

Very good info.. thanks a million
  17. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You might get a good service from web hosts that claim to provide unlimited, but make sure that "unlimited" is not the only "advantage" of them they underline. Many shared hosts were forced announce "unlimited" only to be able to compete with oversellers. The truth is that market likes "unlimited". I think that you should speak to a few providers and to find out who's paying attention on your product. And of course do not go cheap.
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What does everyone think about GoDaddy?
  21. No Profile Picture

What does everyone think about GoDaddy?
    First, I think the only reason is because lots of people bought domains through Go Daddy and 110mb's name servers kept failing. Therefore, people started using Go Daddy's NS. In addition, you get more control because you can set up email and stuff like that.

Second, the guide isn't that bad. You might want to add that they can also put in ns3.110mb.com and ns4.110mb.com just for redundancy.

Not only did it get moved but admin actually took the time to move it. I think this might be a first (at least in recent history).
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Nor_Cal
    I've got a plan to build a local business directory. I have a php script with a backend that allows the admin to enter the business name, address etc.

The idea is to sell ad space to local businesses for a low fee.
    There would be a few options such as just a text ad, banner ad, full page ad along with a coupon option.

I thinking I would need a host that allows a good size data base, it would be nice to have unlimited space and bandwidth.

My question is, which hosting company would you recommend?
    in my opinion the content that you're trying to host you don't need unlimited anything. In your case it's better for you to stay away from unlimited space/bw providers and look for something more reasonable. Believe me in the long run you would have less headaches. If you do go with an unlimited provider look for something in the terms of service called resource limit restrictions. Without some sort of resource limits in place you are only asking for trouble and stress.

Besides hostgator which someone already mentioned give hostingzoom, fluidhosting, rochen, geekstorage a look. Im sure one of them would more than suit your needs.
  25. Registered User

Originally Posted by ad_on
    There are no good web hosts which give away unlimited space and bandwidth. That is marketing gimmick.
    If you need good shared web hosting I can recommend you: hostgator.com or dayanahost.com. Be aware they do not provide unlimited web hosting at all.
    You may want to have a look at VPS providers. I think quillhost.com (very cheap VPS) or knownhost could be good choice for you.
    Good luck.
    Thank you
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try hostgator, I've been with them for a while and have had no complaints
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Soniqhost.com
    Try hostgator, I've been with them for a while and have had no complaints
    Agreed. Host Gator is a great choice.However, as HostColor said try to avoid "Unlimited Hosts".
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo