1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb Moving From Blogspot To Own Website --- Some Questions

Hi all,

I have a blog on blogger dot com's blogspot. I am now planning to shift it to my own website. Any first hand experience / ideas on which hosting company has the right blog-centric website facility?

Also, would love to hear from others who have gone through a similar exercise, what were your experiences?

TIA
  3. No Profile Picture
    Webhosting Troll

Basically any web host is ideal for blogging. You particularly need to look for a host with fantastico installed seeing how that makes it very easy for first time users. You can install different blogging cms's and give them a try. I honestly recommend Hostgator and Hostmonster. Their live support is on 24/7 and has helped me numerous times through the year with all of my problems.
    Next Generation Gaming - Online Gaming Community for San Andreas Multiplayer
  5. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb Question About Platform / Solution / Package

Hi,

Thank you for your input and suggestion, much appreciated. I will check out the two web hosts and take a call on them.

While support is definitely a factor, what I was focusing on was the features I was looking for in my new website, which my present host (blogspot) does not offer. Plus I would like certain of blogspot's features to be incorporated in my new site as well. So basically I am trying to also know the solutions / platforms will fit me best, and which hosting company offers them.

Here is what I have in mind. To begin with, I would like visitors to sign up and become members if they wish to read my articles in entirety. (Today anybody can navigate to my blogspot site and begin reading.) The articles must appear in search engine pages with their individual URLs (and not the site's umbrella URL). So if my site is let's say http://xyz.com and one of its articles is http://xyz.com/abc.html (or abc.php or whatever), then the article's own URL must appear in the search engine listing. A new visitor who is not a member can view the snippet containing the keywords typed in the search engine box, but they must sign-up to read the full article. In future, i would like to put a price to this signing-up / subscription aspect.

Whenever a new article is published, I would like to send out a mailer to the members informing them of the same.

Presently, my blog has x number of readers who receive mails whenever an article is published. This is possible thanks to a third-party widget planted in my blogspot. Can I move this list to my new website?

Also, there are y number of "followers" of the blog, which is a blogspot feature. Can I emulate this feature on my new site effortlessly?

In blogspot, an article appears in its full length on one page. After reading an article, if the reader does not click on some link on the page and simply leaves, my visitor-tracking softwares are unable to tell me how long the reader spent on the given page (it simply says 1 view, 0 seconds). In order to obviate this, I would want an article to be split across multiple pages, with arrows at the bottom to navigate to-and-fro within the article. Hopefully, clicking on the arrows will be captured by the visitor-tracking softwares?

Finally, I would like to incorporate a forum for people to discuss issues raised in the articles. And also they be able to comment on the articles.

Given the above requirements, any suggestions / advice on what platforms / solutions / packages I should go in for? Your inputs are highly appreciated!

TIA (and sorry for the size of the post!)
  7. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

Unfortunately what your asking for is pretty much a custom blogging script. You could easily hire someone to make it for you, but will be a good size investment. Without paying someone to make code for you, you are stuck with the basic free blogging softwares.
    b2evolution
    Nucleus
    WordPress
    are the ones Fantastico offers for one click installation. You will have to do your research and fine the one that best suits your needs but doubtfully will be the "dream" blog you want.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Brian Kearney, CEO Stealthy Hosting Inc
    Shared/Reseller/Dedicated Hosting Http://StealthyHosting.com
    Please Contact us for VPS/Colo pricing.
    Email: sales@stealthyhosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233
  9. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb Free / Inexpensive Solutions For Features; Privacy Of Website

Hello Brianbak,

Thank you for your insights; much appreciated.

I reckon I will have to pay for some of the features that I have in mind. However, given that my wishlist must not be any different from that of the other bloggers who are dreaming to shift to a site they can call their own, I thought quite a lot - if not all - of my wishes will have easy and inexpensive solutions, if not available totally for free. Is it possible for you to tick-mark the features that are available for free, and the names of the solutions / packages that can help me implement them?

Also, Brianbak, is it possible to install / publish the website on the host company's machines but prohibit any visitor from accessing the same until I am thoroughly satisfied that the site is fit for viewing? It should be private, so people who type the full URL also should not be able to come to the homepage. And it should also be inaccessible by the search engines until I say so. Can this be achieved?

Best,

11. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

Your best bet is probably going with Wordpress (Features: http://wordpress.org/about/features/. Many of my customers use it and are very happy with the usability and customization possibilities. It also can be installed with one click from a host with Fantastico.

To make a website private you can easily just put a password on the mail directory folder. You will be able to log in and view how your changes look but nobody else can.

We can easily help you get set up with this if you would like, our $6.95 packages gives you 1GB diskspace, 40GB Bandwidth, and a Free domain name, this will be great for you since you are freshly starting and need your own domain name too.

Let me know what you think, You can email me directly at Brian at StealthyHosting.com or our sales team at Sales at StealthyHosting.com.
  13. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb Moving From One Host To Another

Hi Brianbak,

Thanks once again; I desperately needed this hand-holding from an expert such as you at this point of venturing out in the wilderness of website jungle. I will PM you soon as I finish this preliminary investigation.

One more question: If I were to hitch my wagon with some hosting company say xyz, and later on either I am dissatisfied with their service, or I come across someone else on the horizon with a better deal, then how easy or messy it is to divorce from xyz? Is there anything they can do to prevent me from leaving? Some password here, or some clause there, that I need to be wary of, upfront?

Best,
  15. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

The bezt way to keep yourself from being screwed is to always keep a recent copy of your files and Database locally. That way if something happens your only an upload and quick config away from being back up and running.
  17. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb Thanks

Thanks, Brian... appreciated!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo