1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Nubie Q: Web Construction Tools/Utilities

I'm researching creation of my first web site.
    I wanted to know what tools or utilities I should look for from the hosting service?

I'll be running my blog, selling software and technical notes,
    allowing the download of software and technical notes, registering visitors, allowing some 3rd party advertising. Not much, eh?

Things to watch out for are appreciated.

Regards,
    Lou.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

there are some hosting that have special offer/module that can make it easier to configure you site with both a blog and e-shop system.

What you should be looking for is the price, stability and support. Not all hosting site has the stability or support as it says.

But if you search around and find a few hosting which have what you need, i am sure other members at this forum can help you if you should run far away or not
  5. No Profile Picture

Hello Lou,

You can search for a host who provides enough bandwidth, storage space as your requirement includes providing downloading of softwares also. There are many hosts that provides plans suitable for your requirements. Just go for 24/7 live chat or other supports and verify that the hosting plans and your requirements match together and in your budget.

Thanking you,
    kvchosting
  7. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

Are you looking to get shared hosting or a dedicated server?

If your talking about just the website itself then heres some tips:
    All websites are based off of a "language" HTML and PHP are the most basic then there are java, C, ASP, whole bunch of other very complicated languages.

For a brand new person I would not expect you to code your own website, unless you have some kind of background in web coding. There are some free tools online that will help you make a basic html website but I have never seen a good profesional looking site come out of them.

From the look of your needs I think PHP-Nuke would work out pretty good for you, it has registration, downloads, forums, blogs, statistics, and even advertisement modules. Can take a look at it here: http://phpnuke.org/

Most webhosting companies that offer Fantastico has a whole lot of scripts that you can install with one simple click and no coding necessary. This will probably be the best for you.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Brian Kearney, CEO Stealthy Hosting Inc
    Shared/Reseller/Dedicated Hosting Http://StealthyHosting.com
    Please Contact us for VPS/Colo pricing.
    Email: sales@stealthyhosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    there are some hosting that have special offer/module that can make it easier to configure you site with both a blog and e-shop system.
    I think you came close to understanding my problem: trying to figure out how this "configuring" works.

Once I sign up, how do I actually construct/configure the web site. Are there templates that I change the colours, background and text of? I don't want to actually construct my own web pages. I just want to personalize some template and then let it operate. (And if I'm using some ambiguous terms, please correct me.)

Also, I wanted to know if hosting companies allow one to experiment with an "offline" web site; one that I can set up and play with (via a password or such) using their templates until I have a better idea what I want or what I can do in terms of presentation. Once that's done, I can cancel the whole idea or put what I have on line.

To answer some other comments:
    I am looking for a shared account, and I understand that bandwidth and disk space are the key requirements, but thanks for the reminder.
  11. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

Free website templates can be found all over the internet. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=html+website+templates&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g-e1g-s1g-sx8)

Some webhost companies use things like Fantastico or RVsitebuilder.

Fantastico makes it possible for someone with no website knoledge create a usable site including Databases and admin/user pages. You can find a list of all the software Fantastico can install here: http://www.netenberg.com/fantastico_scripts.php

RVsitebuilder is a simple pick and plug html site builder that takes the needing to know html out of the building process.

If youa re going to want a website with users and loggins you will need something with a database and stuff, thats why I recomended PHP-Nuke to you, installed it will manage your databases and you can controll the whole site easily from a newbie friendly admin controls.
    Brian Kearney, CEO Stealthy Hosting Inc
    Shared/Reseller/Dedicated Hosting Http://StealthyHosting.com
    Please Contact us for VPS/Colo pricing.
    Email: sales@stealthyhosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by brianbak
    Free website templates can be found all over the internet. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=html+website+templates&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g-e1g-s1g-sx8)

Some webhost companies use things like Fantastico or RVsitebuilder.

Fantastico makes it possible for someone with no website knoledge create a usable site including Databases and admin/user pages. You can find a list of all the software Fantastico can install here: http://www.netenberg.com/fantastico_scripts.php

RVsitebuilder is a simple pick and plug html site builder that takes the needing to know html out of the building process.

If youa re going to want a website with users and loggins you will need something with a database and stuff, thats why I recomended PHP-Nuke to you, installed it will manage your databases and you can controll the whole site easily from a newbie friendly admin controls.
    You've made these points before, but you haven't answered the question. But since I've changed the question in mid-thread, I will start a new one.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo