Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Paid Vps Host Users

People who have used VPS Hosting,

I was actually looking for a paid Vps Host.
    I have used free shared hosting before and always used paid shared hosts and so have experience with them. They always provide cPanel.
    Therefore, been searching for a VPS Host because shared hosts are forbidding me in running public web proxies.
    Now, I came across a VPS Host who says they are gonna charge an extra $15/month for cPanel. That surpised me very much! Why would they charge an extra $15/month for cPanel ? Shouldn't the cPanel come with the VPS hosting just like Shared Hosting ? If so, then why charge an extra ? Just what is going on around here with all this VPS Hosting ? Now wondering, maybe none of the VPS Hosts are providing cPanel atall and maybe they provide some other tools which I have no experiences with. In that case, I might not like what tools they are offering and it would be a waste of my money finding things out the hard way.
    And so, I figured it is best that, I try a VPS Host first to learn what I am getting into. If such are available.

Anyway, if you're a VPS Host yourself then, I want to see what tools you VPS Hosts provide! I need your tools' names so I can check in youtube what they look like and view instructions how to use them.

How can you help ?
    If you're not a Host then how can you aid my learning ?

Thanks a hand-ful!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am reading some vps host replies.
    One talks about charging $15/month for cPanel. Another talks about me have to get/buy license to the software. Not sure if they're talking about cPanel or Linux itself. Made a query. Waiting for reply.
    That brings me to the question:
    Does not any software come installed with the Vps Server ? I get a complete barebone and only get access to the desktop ? I have to install the OS aswell as all the required softwares ? Have to install Linux, Apache, Php Interpreter, cPanel etc. ?
    Can I install xampp ? Would remote visitors have access to my site if I install xampp ? I am a little confused now as I don't have experience hiring/running a vps.
    What do I have to lookout for when buying vps hosting over shared hosting ?
    Do we have to install Vmware and all by ourselves ?
    Also, vps hosts talk about charging for ip or extra ip. Why charge for ip ? Shared hosts never charge for ip!
    Don't have experience with vps.
    Getting confused even more now!
    I need to know ...
    So, what do I have to install apart from cPanel ? Linux ? Vmware ? Apache ? Php Interpreter ? xampp/wampp ? Smtp mail Server ? Pop Mail Server ? Dns Server ? Am I just getting a server with no software installed ? I have to install everything ?
    How do I access the server if no software is installed ? How do I connect remotely to the server ? In order to connect, I must have access to some kind of a software/tool.
    Do you have a video tutorial ? I want to see video instructions on how to do things.

I only want to pay for the hosting and nothing else (just like I do with Shared Hosting). Don't want to be paying Linux or Apache Webserver or Php Interpreter or cPanel. Must I pay for ip or is the charge for extra IPs ? Why would I need an extra ip ?
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; April 6th, 2018 at 05:18 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Folks,

Most vps I find are completely barebone. Meaning, I have to install os and all my required softwares.
    I read I have to pay around $15/month ontop of vps hosting and I don't like the sound of that as I always used cpanel for free on shared hosts.
    Therefore, looking for free alternatives to cpanel. Do you people have any experience with free alternatives ? If so, care to list them.

Also, I need to know which Linux to install that the cpanel alternative will work on.
    My requirements are php 7, php myadmin, php sendmail, mysql, apache webserver. Now, which linux do you recommend for me ? You know there are so many unix/linux that I am confused to which one to use. I have a feeling any Linux would do but I prefer you to recommend me one that is more like Windows (GUI stuff) as unix/linux are complicated to use and I don't use them.
    I need some advice from you wonderful people.
    Also, if I desire to upload files via ftp client then is it necessary for me to install an ftp server or is apache webserver enough ?
    As far as I remember, whenever I used an ftp server, I just gave the server login details and it managed to upload the files or download the files to/from the webserver. Don't remember dealing with ftp server at my shared host.
    So, what advice and tips can you throw this way ?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No ideas folks ?
    Have not used vps hosts before ?
  9. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

Most vps I find are completely barebone. Meaning, I have to install os and all my required softwares.
    Yes, that's the entire point of a VPS. You're not renting web hosting or whatever else, you're renting a server. What you do with that server is entirely up to you and as such, it's up to you to set it up and manage it. Some providers do offer managed VPS plans where they will install/maintain the software you want but they are typically very expensive compared to unmanaged plans. For example, I use Linode and have a $20/month vps. If I wanted to have them manage it for me, it would cost me an extra $100/month.

I read I have to pay around $15/month ontop of vps hosting and I don't like the sound of that as I always used cpanel for free on shared hosts
    cPanel is not free, if you want to use it you have to pay for it. The reason you don't get an extra cPanel charge on your shared hosting is because the host provider just bakes that cost into the overall monthly price. They are not buying a separate copy of cPanel for each person they are hosting, they buy a single copy to manage that server and then give each person a login to manage their specific site. Even if you bought your own cPanel to run on your vps, there would be move involved than what you're used to on shared hosts. You'd have to install cPanel and set it up with your server, then create your sites and users to manage them. I've never setup cPanel before so I don't know the exact process, but I know it'd be different than the cPanel you're used to dealing with.

ISPConfig is another alternative to cPanel you could use. I think it's free but not sure. Again, I've never personally used it, just heard about it.

Bottom line, if you want to use a VPS, you must learn how to manage a Linux server. There's really no getting around that. Install VirtualBox and create your own virtual machine to start practicing and learning how to setup your server. Ubuntu is probably the easiest distro to start with and probably available at any VPS provider.

Hell, to make it easy here's a VM you can download to get started. This is essentially how any VPS you rent would start out, with just the OS installed and SSH enabled. Import it into virtual box with File -> Import Appliance. Boot it up and SSH to it using ip 127.0.0.1 port 10022 and username root password vps.
    Last edited by kicken; April 15th, 2018 at 06:36 PM.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by kicken
    Yes, that's the entire point of a VPS. You're not renting web hosting or whatever else, you're renting a server. What you do with that server is entirely up to you and as such, it's up to you to set it up and manage it. Some providers do offer managed VPS plans where they will install/maintain the software you want but they are typically very expensive compared to unmanaged plans. For example, I use Linode and have a $20/month vps. If I wanted to have them manage it for me, it would cost me an extra $100/month.

cPanel is not free, if you want to use it you have to pay for it. The reason you don't get an extra cPanel charge on your shared hosting is because the host provider just bakes that cost into the overall monthly price. They are not buying a separate copy of cPanel for each person they are hosting, they buy a single copy to manage that server and then give each person a login to manage their specific site. Even if you bought your own cPanel to run on your vps, there would be move involved than what you're used to on shared hosts. You'd have to install cPanel and set it up with your server, then create your sites and users to manage them. I've never setup cPanel before so I don't know the exact process, but I know it'd be different than the cPanel you're used to dealing with.

ISPConfig is another alternative to cPanel you could use. I think it's free but not sure. Again, I've never personally used it, just heard about it.

Bottom line, if you want to use a VPS, you must learn how to manage a Linux server. There's really no getting around that. Install VirtualBox and create your own virtual machine to start practicing and learning how to setup your server. Ubuntu is probably the easiest distro to start with and probably available at any VPS provider.

Hell, to make it easy here's a VM you can download to get started. This is essentially how any VPS you rent would start out, with just the OS installed and SSH enabled. Import it into virtual box with File -> Import Appliance. Boot it up and SSH to it using ip 127.0.0.1 port 10022 and username root password vps.
    Thanks for chiming in and for all those links!
    Anyway, earlier I was checking a few youtube tutorial vids and came across:
    http://centos-webpanel.com/features
    What do you think ? Do you reckon it would be easy going for a guy like me with no experience of linux ? It seems they auto install LAMP. With LAMP, I should be able to get the apache and php and mysql and php myadmin and the like up and running in no time. What do you think ?
    I will have to experiment after I wakeup. And checkout your links too.

Thanks again!

Mmm. Virtual Box ? Never dealt with anything of the like. Don't know what it is unless it is like Vmware or something.
    Can't remember how to use VmWare either. Been nearly a dacade since I touched Vmware.
    I have tried Linux in the past but all those code writing to reboot and shut down etc. got to me so I quit and returned back to gui windows.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh I get it! It's a virtual os from the looks of this:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

I don't see any difference between it and the VmWare, if I remember what VmWare was.
    I have Windows 10 but that is irrelevant here.
    I believe you would recommend I use:
    VirtualBox 5.0 for Linux. Within VirtualBox Windows 7 is running.

Correct ?
  15. Wiser? Not exactly.

VirtualBox is for creating virtual machines. You download the version that is appropriate for the OS you are currently using (windows from the sounds of it) then you create a virtual machine and install the OS you want to try (linux) onto it (or download the one I created for you).
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

VirtualBox is for creating virtual machines.
    You download the version that is appropriate for the OS you are currently using (windows from the sounds of it) then you create a virtual machine and install the OS
    you want to try (linux) onto it (or download the one I created for you).
    The one you created for me ? Sorry, but i'm at a little loss here. Where's the one you created for me ? Very curious to see it now.
    Mmm. So now, I can install Virtual Box onto my barebone VPS and then sell accounts. Virtual accounts. Am I right that this is possible ?
    Again, curious. Do you sell virtual accounts after building them with Virtual Box ?
    Mmm. This might be a new leaf turn for me. Starting to smell money here. Anyway, all this virtual stuffs are new to me and so it'll take a while for me to get my head round all this.
    But I reckon, once I've familiarized myself with it then I might come-up with other unique ideas in this new field for me.
    (I have a feeling Sepodati's gonna read this and cry: "Oh No! Not again with the ideas!" Lol! ).

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: Now thinking of a new social network. Virtual SN. Haven't quite thoughtup how to virtualize it.
    If you haven't tried 2ndlife.com then by all means do check it out. Last time I was on it was back in 2010 or before.
    It's a virtual chat. You choose an animated character and you control it (like in video games) and chat with others. It's probably more adv now after 7-8yrs:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...secondlife.com
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; April 19th, 2018 at 05:54 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Folks,

The barebones (unmanaged vps companies I have found), I'm going with them.
    Do you think I should install this tool:
    Features | CentOS Web Panel

Do you think with it I would be able to connect to my new vps and install the LAMP and then use the server from then on without needing to install anything else ?
    So, how do I install this ? Using putty ? And afterwards, I logon to my vps using that software I install using putty ? Is that the steps to proceed for a beginner on a vps or I have to try other tools ?
    As for the virtual box and the like. As of now, they're intermediate stuffs for me to take on. Still a beginner with all this vps stuff.
  21. Wiser? Not exactly.

Originally Posted by UniqueIdeaMan
    The one you created for me ? Sorry, but i'm at a little loss here. Where's the one you created for me ?
    Read my post again.
    Hell, to make it easy here's a VM you can download ...
    Mmm. So now, I can install Virtual Box onto my barebone VPS and then sell accounts. Virtual accounts. Am I right that this is possible ?
    No, you do not install VirtualBox on a VPS.

VirtualBox is something you install on your desktop to let you test other OSs or program by creating a virtual machine.

I recommended it so you can get the experience of having a VPS without having to actually buy one somewhere. You can use that to learn how to setup what you need so that when you do eventually buy one you have a chance at knowing how to use it.
    Recycle your old CD's

23. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The barebones (unmanaged vps companies I have found), I'm going with them.
    Don't. Just don't. When you don't know what you're doing, you will not get it right. You really need a managed VPS. That way a lot of those things can be done for you. Sure it's a bit more money, but come on, you are the one that says that you're system will be making millions, so what's a couple more $ now?

Still a beginner with all this vps stuff.
    See above.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Read my post again.

No, you do not install VirtualBox on a VPS.

VirtualBox is something you install on your desktop to let you test other OSs or program by creating a virtual machine.

I recommended it so you can get the experience of having a VPS without having to actually buy one somewhere. You can use that to learn how to setup what you need so that when you do eventually buy one you have a chance at knowing how to use it.
    Ah! I get it now. It is like VmWare! i install it on my own computer at home and see how each OS feels like. Installing other Operating Systems ontop of my Win10. I understand now.
    Thanks for the links! They will become handy.
    But unfortunately, I'm rushing into buying a vps as I waited more than a wk over this fussing and got to get over this anxiety to get things rolling. I was told that the Support Team would help me in the installations. I don't see them advertising both managed and unmanaged vps. i believe they are all unmanaged but the support team would help a little like install OS and they say they will install free cpanel unless I select $14 for the paid one. Doesn't say if it's $14/mnth but I guess it is.
    Let's see how I fair with their vps. If I choke then I seriously need to download the tools you recommended onto my own computer at home and practice and familiarise. I am rushing now because I make deadline and never meet it. Evrytime the deadline is to finish everything from thur night to fri sunset but I miss the deadline. Today, I want to see if i can meet it. Otherwise, I'll be going in circles. Because, when I fail the deadline, I then get lazy and take a rest for a few days and then when I see another fri approaching I start pressuring myself again. Going in a loop for 2-3mnths now. Fedup.
    First, I spent time panicing abusers would signup and spent mnths trying to figure-out how to ward them off and like I said I keep making fridays the deadline but never could come-up with a solution to ward off the creeps. When finally, I came with a solution and was about to meet one of the friday deadlines then another issue arrises. Latest issue is this vps issue. Inexperience issue. Still got to checkout other SN TOSs and makeup my own. Then, my 14.5mnths of waiting comes to an end and hopefully I'll see some smiling faces when people get out of poverty.

Cheers.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Don't. Just don't. When you don't know what you're doing, you will not get it right. You really need a managed VPS. That way a lot of those things can be done for you. Sure it's a bit more money, but come on, you are the one that says that you're system will be making millions, so what's a couple more $ now?

See above.
    Well, you know how it is. There is a slight nervousness in me that others might immediately copy my ideas and make improvements that I fail to make and then they will snatch the market and I will be left stranded with a pack full of big fat zeros.
    Plus, I need to learn to maintain the vps. Remember, I don't want to hire others to manage my business ? I want to do all things by myself so I can claim I did it all by myself and helped a mass number of people get out of poverty with php ? I might get in the Guiness Book of World Records as the person who did it (startup the revolution) all by him/herself. You guess or figure it out whether I am male or female. Black or white. African or Caucasian or Aborigini.
    You guys would be known as the ones you did the teaching here and there like a senior student helps a junior.
    If I hire a managing group to manage the vps then it won't sound like I did everything all by myself. Now would it ?
    I want to be an example to the majority of the world (majority of the world live below the poverty level) so they can copy my footsteps or should I say fingersteps ? They won't be able to afford managed vps and I don't want them getting put-off to follow me. Plus, I don't want money to get any credit. If I buy managed vps then the money gets the credit as the muscle behind my venture. No, I want to get this thing rolling with as much low cost as possible (stingily low cost as possible) so others with hardly any money get influenced and feel couraged to jump into my fingersteps. It's a KICK (fun) I'm gonna get. The less the money muscle I use the more pleasure I will get.

Here's a windup ...

If I get suck, I'll just influence you to create a youtube vid how to set things up on the unmanaged vps. Hopefully, you will attract a lot of viewers and sales to your vps reselling packs.

The real thing is, it's fri and I got under 2hrs to release this to meet the deadline. That is why rushing. Else, would take the whole weekend practicing with the tools Kicken recommended and then start on my unmanaged vps. As of now, it can't wait!
    Saying all this. I have a feeling, I will fail tpo meet the deadline and be stuck with an unmanaged vps. That is the worst case scenario.
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; April 20th, 2018 at 04:55 AM.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You know what. I'm quitting this deadline.
    I thought this tool would be the easiest but seems like I'll have to play around with it:
    http://demo1.centos-webpanel.com:203...ce_start=httpd

Once I get the hang of it then I'll see if it is enough to run my vps. Else, I'm looking into Kicken's recommendations throughout the weekend.
    I reckon best not rush and jump into something I regret later. And waste my money. That is the big issue, here.
    But, I am feeling disappointed that another friday is going by (lost count now how many fridays passed) and I'm still at square 9 (out of 10) that I have been for the past 2-3wks over this vps issue.
    I don't think I will be able to learn how to setup the vps, install LAMP and configure dns and build the TOS and register a domian name all within an hr. It's the dns records issue which has brought me to my senses that it will take time for me to figure how to do things. It's been over a dacade since I dealt with dns records.
    Drat! (I'm imagining now Sepodati's laughing with a big rolling laugh).

First of all, I can't even find the Bit Coin official website! According to Wikipedia, it is bitcoin.org. But, it points to a dead link.
    I don't think bitcoin.com is official. Else, it would be listed in wikipedia.org.
    Not a good start today for me to meet my deadline. I need to pay the vps host with Bit coins as I don't trust them with my credit card details since they are new to me. And, I hate paypal. I will be building something to annihilate these crooks too! And their bought company Ebay. Watch how them 2 take a dive in traffic and customers. Lol!
    Feeling drained as I been rushing things lately.
    I might put things to rest now.
    At the back of my head, I will be pondering what other viral traffic & viral income generating method I can come-up with that does not require a web proxy or revolves around mlm or pyramid scheme or forced matrix. As that way, I can just use my current shared hosting. And slowly, without rushing, learn how to setup a vps and run one since my current shared host won't allow me to run a web proxy on shared hosting.
    Even if it takes another fortnight to learn everything about the vps and get things rolling, atleast I will feel satisfied that, even if it's getting delayed then atleast my other new venture is helping the masses out of poverty.
    Anyway, I will be packing things for the day and going out for a stroll (breath of fresh air) and ponder what NEW and NOW to THINKUP that won't require a web proxy.
    In the meanwhile, Catacaustic and Kicken take care and thanks for helping me out.
    Feeling gloomy now. When am I gonna finish this project! Been waiting since feb 2017. Never thought it would take that long. I told people it would take max 3mnths and now it's 14.5mnths!
    Sooner or later, even you guys would stop believing in me and think I'm just another conn who's trying to get you guys to write a script for me so I can sell it. I know some of you guys think that way and that is why you never really try helping when I ask for code samples for my learning or our newbies learning purposes.
    Ah well! Atleast, I'm glad you guys believed me when I said I built .exes and now trying to build .php versions. I can always forward the .exes for you to checkout but that would then reveal all my ideas out in the open and spoil all the fun for you guys. I want you guys to stay in the unknown so you all stay excited to download my Android app. I will get a KICK when I see php seniors downloading a junior's creation(s).
    You know, I built the Android app about 4wks ago. It points to some links. These links are supposed to point to my vps. Because the vps is not ready, I haven't promoted the Android app. People would see "Under Construction" notice for too long and uninstall it.
    So it all boils down to me failing to meet today's deadline on my 1st project (SN/Web proxy/browser) project due to not knowing how to setup and run a vps.
    My current webhost (shared hosting) told me that, even though they won't allow me to run a web proxy, they will allow me to run cURL and build my own meta engine like dogpile.com. This is my 2nd project which I started probably a month or 2 ago and wrked on it probably a wk only.
    So, all I now have to do is add my unique viral traffic and viral income generating features that I have been hinting you guys about that will annihilate all the current major searchengines and start this venture first on my current shared hosting. That way, no need to wait to learn how to setup and run a vps.
    But, I'm a beginner with cURL. That's the problem. And google and the like foil cURL. I wonder how mamma.com manages to query Google and the like without their cURL getting foiled or captchas getting triggered.
    Anyway, tonight I might aswell be busy learning more on cURL.
    Got to revise on what Requinix told me to look into.
    I'll pester Requinix tonight, if I can.

Wish me luck!

Good day (but a bad day for me!)!

EDIT: Even bitcoin.com point to a dead link. I'm able to post in this forum and that is proof my internet connection is ok.
    Have to learn from these vids:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...n+CentOs+7+VPS
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; April 20th, 2018 at 06:11 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo