1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

First, is there a web site that will give me a good idea of what kind of server hardware and software I will need and various demand levels(hits, bandwidth usage, ect)? In other words I need to know what hardware and software I will need to run a website that gets 1000 hits a month and 500 megs/month bandwidth usage, and what hardware and software I will need at 3 million+ hits a month and 50,000 gigs/month bandwidht usage.

Second, what do I need to run an oracle database? Is an oracle database just software installed on a server or an actual server? Or can it be both? How much does it cost to operate?

Third, does anyone know of a hosting company that hosts highend servers and oracle servers?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture

Thats a big gap between 500Mb per month and 50 Terabytes a month. I'd work it out yourself. Host the page on www.f2s.com, pretend you are a normal user and navigate the site as if you had never been before, then use the statistics functions provided to work out how many bytes were served. Multiply by 1000, and there is your bandwidth requirement.

------------------
    Stop slaggin off tuna
  5. No Profile Picture

Start off with a smaller server....
    Most decent low end servers these days can handle a million hits a month...just gotta watch out for the cpu load caused by high cgi/scripts usage. A dual 400mhz 256mb ram machine should be able to push 300-400gb of data a month no problem. Oracle is just a software progran installed on a regular server. It is available in both NT and Unix flavors.

Regards,
    Sean R.
    BurstNET™
    Online Rep

------------------
    To place an order, or for more info, contact;
    BurstNET Technologies, Inc.™
    1-877-BURSTNET - (570) 389-1100
    sales@burst.net --- <A HREF="http://www.burst.net
    " TARGET=_blank>http://www.burst.net
    </A> P.O. Box #400 Bloomsburg, Pa 17815-0400 USA
    The Best Value For Your Dollar On The Net!
  7. No Profile Picture

One small tip.

1. Any decent hosting server should do 1000 hits / 500 meg in day.

2. Any decent hosting server should do 3 million hits a month.

3. 50,000 gig is quite a bit of bandwidth. If I had one site that pulled 50 gig of bandwidth a month, I would set it up on a dual PIII, or spread the load over a cluster of smaller servers.

If this was my problem, I would be more worried about getting a reliable connection to the internet.

5. I can put you into a fairly high end server for between $300-$600/month, and we can worry about upgrading your server once you go over 10 million hits a month.

[This message has been edited by iqnection.com (edited December 26, 2000).]
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Servers.

I can setup you on a really good server for really cheap.

Email me at adam@mybizhosting.com

------------------
    Adam Kling
    President
    MyBizHosting
    http://www.mybizhosting.com

Everybody that signs up with us becomes a reseller. Get additional accounts at discount!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo