Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Starting youtube clone need some advice please

Hi all,

First of all - thank you in advance for any feedback you could give me. I'm starting a youtube clone / streaming video site and I need some info on hosting and bandwidth.

1.) Does anyone have any information, or can provide me with a link to information, about the costs required?

2.) I know bandwidth is the biggest cost. Does anyone know what kind of prices I will be paying per gigabyte? I heard its 5 - 15 cents per gigabyte (and dropping) - is this accurate, and where can i get the best rate while still having a reliable host that can handle a lot of traffic? Is there any kind of a list out there?

3.) Besides bandwith, what other costs are involved - for example, is storage space expensive? Will I need a dedicated server, and how much does this run? Other costs?

Thank you all again so much for any help with these issues!!!

Andrew
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

1)
    Credit Suisse estimates that YouTube has a gross income of $240 million a year, but that its expenses far exceed that, totalling an astonishing $711 million.
    source

2) Bandwidth is discussed in the above link also. But if you don't pump money into the PR machine, no matter how much bandwidth you have, you won't attract any users

3) GOTO 2
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Will I need a dedicated server
    In a word yes...

for the most part the rest of your questions can be answered by whoever you lease the server from...
  7. No Profile Picture

follow up

thank you very much for this - but I'm specifically wondering if anyone has any recommendations for dedicated servers - good deals and reliable hosts? I'd like to get an idea of bandwidth charges out there from good servers, but its hard to tell what's an actual review and what's an advertisement put out by a hosting company - thank you again!!
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Paying per gigabyte is not an option if you have hight traffic website. You'd better negotiate your fee with the hosting provider. I would recommend you a nice software that will save you a lot of money on building a video sharing community.
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  11. No Profile Picture

plan specifics?

Thank you all for the excellent advice! Does anyone have any specific plans they can suggest where I get the cheapest cost of bandwidth per gigabyte but still have a dedicated server that's reliable, and can be grown? Also, if you could tell me the tiered pricing schedule as I go up in bandwidth, or provide a link to this information, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Andrew
  13. Type Cast Exception

Have you really thought about your business model at all? How are you going to promote this site? How are you going to ensure you are legally protected against litigation for potential copyright infringement? Do you know that you might also be liable for things beyond copyright, such as defamation or using a person's likeness without permission? That's right if someone posts a video of their friend being drunk and acting like an idiot, the drunk idiot has a right not to have that video made public. How do you plan to cope with this dude when his lawyer calls you up?

You have a lot more to consider than the cost of your server and bandwidth, you really do.

Viacom sued youtube for over a billion dollars

You sure you just want to set up a "youtube clone"?
    Last edited by medialint; August 5th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you are getting started with such heavy content I believe you need to have a start with VPS server.
    Checkhttp://www.serverpoint.com/english/vps-hosting.phtml

These guys will be able to help you with the script choice and settings

Hope that helps and good luck with your search
  17. Contributing User

If you're expecting considerable amount of traffic from the very beginning I would suggest to go for managed VPS.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

GearHost Dynamic Dedicated Server Solution

Per your interest in additional information about dedicated solutions, please find your answer .....Lately there’s been a greater efficiency, dedicated servers are being replaced by virtual solutions to provide better reliability, scalability and performance that your company needs. Our virtual environment allows customers a comprehensive solution that offers significantly better availability, plus it’s more affordable than traditional dedicated hosting. We have a special currently that is saving local Denver companies with Dedicated server needs hundreds of dollars per month. We are currently running a special on a 2GB, fully managed Dynamic Dedicated Server solution including the following features:

1 Intel Xeon Quad-Core 3.00GHz Processor ($149.99)
    2GB RAM
    100GB EMC SAN Disk Storage
    500GB Monthly Bandwidth (provided by Level 3, AT&T, Xo & Savvis)
    Fully Managed Server Bundle (Optional $99.99)
    - Daily Backup
    - Enterprise level AntiVirus
    - Disk Defragmentation
    - Tested OS Patches and Software Updates

Your Dynamic Dedicated Server solution ensures a 99.999% uptime SLA, full redundancy and automatic failover which is why a number of large companies trust GearHost to host their website hosting needs, including the New York Times, Home Depot, the Wall Street Journal, among others of equivalent caliber. This special also offers Free setup for your solution and, if you need, our talented and experienced support team can assist with your migration.

Hope this helps!

Contact me if you would like more details or find us on Twitter at @GearHost!
  21. Sarcky

This is definitely a bad idea. Youtube doesn't make any money. Google video didn't make any money. Even GodTube, which had private funding from churches and charitable organizations, ended up going under. This will not succeed.

Also, 500GB a month is not enough for a video website anyway, you'd need a dedicated host with terabytes of transfer per month, multiple servers in multiple cities, content delivery systems, backups, blah blah.

Don't do this, think of a new idea.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree that it's not a good idea for a personal venture. The costs and risks are too much.
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Universal90
    I agree that it's not a good idea for a personal venture. The costs and risks are too much.
    I agree with you.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It'll be difficult to compete with YouTube and other video sharing websites. There are just too many.
  29. No Profile Picture

I would agree with previous posters in here. I'm certain that is specific kind of the web hosting and you need to use it. Let's say dontownhost, serverpoint are on the top of the list. I can with them you will be able to get started on their project with shared web hosting
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo