1. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by Civ247
    Ive had a very good experience with nexcess.net. Extremely good help files on he webpage & good responsive support.

Only slight issue is that the web admin panel you get runs through a high port that is blocked by most firewalls. Though that wouldnt concern everyone.
    if it's cpanel, the default is 2073, and via SSL. You won't get that through most firewalls, but all a host can do is put it on 443 on another computer
  3. ID10T
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    if it's cpanel, the default is 2073, and via SSL. You won't get that through most firewalls, but all a host can do is put it on 443 on another computer
    2443 They have a custom one they created themselves.

My other hoster uses hsphere which works just fine.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have been using dreamhost.com for everything for years now. no problems yet.
  7. fork while true;

The problem with dreamhost is the cost... Until you refer enough people to cover you, that is.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The cost isn't too bad, but I do highly recommend them regardless. They are reliable, fast, and provide a lot of 'built-in' tools to setup environments such as WordPress. Plus, if you can find referrer codes you can minimize the cost up to $100.00, and saving money is always a good thing.
  11. fork while true;

Anyone who has fantastico has those tools...

Most hosts also offer referrer incentives, but they just don't publicise them
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    Anyone who has fantastico has those tools...

Most hosts also offer referrer incentives, but they just don't publicise them
    Not everyone can easily afford both hosting and the Fantastico tools (+ licenses), so a host that can provide those tools or at least a limited similiar set and be reliable is a positive aspect.
  15. fork while true;

That's rubbish.

Our smallest package is $1.50 per month, including cpanel and fantastico. I hardly think cost is anything to do with it. I've seen companies charging near $1000 who don't even offer a control panel, so cost has nothing to do with it.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I've been very pleased with the service and support from Monster Hosting, Canda (almost two years, so far). Their servers are reliable, the people running them are very knowledgeable, and the support is fast and polite.
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  19. Puppy Kicker

HostingX has been great to me for the past six months. I've recommended all my friends/partners an they've all been satisfied with their services. Response times are great & uptime is unmatched so far with my experience with other hosts.
    If I had a dollar for every time I've said something stupid, I might be able to afford an education.
  21. fork while true;

Originally Posted by e-rased
    HostingX has been great to me for the past six months. I've recommended all my friends/partners an they've all been satisfied with their services. Response times are great & uptime is unmatched so far with my experience with other hosts.
    Unmatched? We haven't had any downtime in a looooong time. Most decent hosts keep uptime at 99.9% or even greater (we've been 100% for many months now)
  23. No Profile Picture

I got the hosting and the Fantastico tools (+ licenses), with my JJTEK-Hosting Enterprise package. Gives me all the bandwidth and Webspace I need and more as well as 99.9% uptime! They may be worth looking at if you want to find a "Complete" package.
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jmweb
    And are very biased. I too would suggest netcraft.
    I believe and hope "very biased" is a bit harsh. I don't claim to be a robot with a perfect algorithm, so some bias may very well exist, both in favor of some hosts and against others, but "very"... now that word hurts!

In the end, you're of course entitled to your opinion.

As for netcraft and their uptime report, it is unfair to say a host is good or better than another simply based on the uptime of the company's website. Hosts have lots of servers with different uptime and performance levels. Knowing how one server fares, says virtually nothing about the other 100, 1000 or more. Just my opinion.
  27. No Profile Picture

Most web sites and directories are commercial and that's OK. Nothing wrong. It is a good idea to read web hosting news. This way you'll see how to cmpanies improve their services and where is the focus of their business.

cheers
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've used Real-Marketing (www.real-marketing.com) for Unix (they use FreeBSD) and Crystaltech (www.crystaltech.com) for Windows based hosting and have nothing but positive feedback for both. Prices are competitive and more importantly, customer service is amazing with both companies. Dave (Real-Marketing's owner) even went so far as to get custom-made MySQL web admin panel for me years ago at no extra cost. During 3 years with RM, total downtime was approximately 3 hours, of which only 15 minutes due technical error (HD failure). Crystaltech was same.

If you're after low prices and don't mind too much about not-so-competent customer support, 1&1 (www.1and1.co.uk - don't know about the U.S. branch) are good.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo