1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What type of hosting

I am looking at building an Expedia affiliate website that will use their 9gb database. This database can host my static content and when required can get live data such as pricing from the API using xml.

There is a script that comes with it that you can execute and it updates all of the database keeping this all up to date. I can set a cron job to set it automatically.

My current hosting is only a basic shared so I am presuming to execute any scripts I need shell or command line access?

I am trying to configure all this just as a test on my windows local laptop but this is getting tricky with all of the linux script stuff (been using Cgwin). Ideally I would like to test the same deployment server setup.

Should I purchase a cloud site like on Rackspace, use this for testing and then hook it up as a main server?
    Or purchase a VPS plan using Godaddy which is my existing host.
  3. No Profile Picture

I would recommend to go for cloud, you can upgrade\downgrade it anytime if you need more\less resources
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for this. Primarily at this stage I am just testing. I have found Digital Ocean cloud service where you can deploy LAMP at a click of a button. Would you prefer to use this rather than trying to add VM on windows? I've just been trying to use IIS with phpmyadmin, mysql etc, for too long and need to learn the proper way in its correct deployment environment. What would you suggest a way forward of not having to build servers all the time, quick deployment of LAMP and using tools such as GUI's to interface with Ubuntu?
  7. No Profile Picture

row count is more important then database size.
    you may have small database but lots of rows.
    If you have lots of rows I suggest you own dedicated server with SSD.
  9. No Profile Picture

Seems like Cloud is a good solution. Quick deployment, scale your resources. When it comes to the server world if you move away from Windows the learning curve isn't bad and the benefits are big. A dedicated could serve you well but the upfront cost is going to rival the cloud where you can scale up as you need and don't have a dedicated waiting for you to need all of it capabilities.
  11. No Profile Picture

I would recommend Linux Cloud VPS too. You can start with the entry level Cloud and increase the resources when your website demands, without going through the migration process.
  13. Contributing User

Its too old to reply here, but I did recommend for a cheap VPS hosting would have catered to his needs.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo