1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Web hosting; is cloud suggested?

Hi,

I have a couple of websites, and they are all hosted on Bluehost. However I recently read many articles about cloud hosting such as Amazon S3 and Google App Engine.

Would it be recommended to start hosting on the cloud?
    I did a quick research and it seemed relatively complicated compared to bluehost. Especially for Google App Engine, where I found out that I could not have my own domain.

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello,

It depends on your needs, if you have just small websites maybe it will be good to stay with your recent host. If you looking for more scalable solution (if your websites become bigger) then you could move to cloud hosting.

Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Free ASP.NET Web hosting resources and information.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The primary advantage of cloud hosting is rapid scalability. For example, if you're running a website that has massive traffic spikes are specific times of day you could do something like run 10 servers from 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM and then scale back to 2 servers from 10:00 PM - 4:00 PM. With cloud hosting you could do this sort of scaling every single day; with other types of hosting you could not. Cloud hosting is also useful if you are frequently adding and removing servers - for example if you run a hosted SaaS application and each of your customers needs their own server instance.

Theoretically cloud hosting should help you sites with very high reliability as well, by allowing you to host the site from multiple datacenters and rapidly scale up a secondary datacenter should the first fail. However, in practice this has not worked out very well for a lot of people. Amazon in particular has really struggled with the reliability of their cloud.

If your websites are not of the size where you are actually dealing with multiple servers, then cloud hosting has very few advantages for you. Unless you take advantage of the rapid scalability on a frequent basis, you will find yourself paying more for cloud hosting than you would for equivalent traditional hosting.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cloud hosting and virtual server have many similarities, and I'd like you recommended VPS solution, and if you are interested in more on this topic, read this article: http://www.vpswebserver.com/windows-...-cloud-hosting in this site: vpswebserver.com
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

There is nothing special with blue host, besides their "unlimited" hosting offering which alongside with other overseller's offerings are shame for the hosting industry. If you are fine with this web host, than stay with them, however. Cloud is just a buzzword which does not refer to any specific service. Generally speaking it is a hosting service provided from any kind of clustered infrastructure. For example the storage might reside on a SAN, not on one physical server.... do not go for any Cloud offering, just because it sounds catchy.
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  11. No Profile Picture

It depends upon the size of your website.It provides hig reliability to a site.So should be aware about cloud hosting properly.I suugest you to take services of ihsystem,they provides too good hosting services.
  13. No Profile Picture

I prefer shared web hosting. You can continue with blue host or hostgator or dreamhost. Shared web hosting is enough for most small businesses or personal websites. If your websites getting every month more than $5000 net profit you can go for dedicated.
  15. No Profile Picture

Hosting with DARTUHOST:1 domain name FREE, Unlimited databases, MySQL, PostgreSQL,FTP

Web Hosting : Full Support, Investment Opportunity in Cloud, 1 domain name FREE, Unlimited number of parked domains, databases, MySQL, PostgreSQL, FTP and email accounts. All necessary tools and software. 3 days FREE Trial Period. For 8 USD per month
    Visit our site: en.dartuhost.com/hosting-linux.html
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There are both hosting has some advantage and disadvantage but it is also true cloud is a future of hosting industry.
  19. No Profile Picture

Hello,

Firstly, I would not recommend using an EIG host such as BlueHost. Generally, they cause too many problems and are slow in my experience.

I wouldn't say that you actually require cloud. I would recommend using a service such as CloudFlare to host the DNS of your website - and possibly looking into multiple VPS's in different locations.

Regards,
    PremiumVM
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by TiKaYL
    Hi,

I have a couple of websites, and they are all hosted on Bluehost. However I recently read many articles about cloud hosting such as Amazon S3 and Google App Engine.

Would it be recommended to start hosting on the cloud?
    I did a quick research and it seemed relatively complicated compared to bluehost. Especially for Google App Engine, where I found out that I could not have my own domain.

Thanks!
    If you have shared web hosting from Bluehost getting a cloud server is going to be much more complicated.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo