Thread: web server

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Want to set up a linux server for my own domain and
    provide virtual web hosting service in future. I intend to run my own dns service. I
    probably will be able to configure bind(I have done it for my intranet).My question is how would someone find my dns server, do i need an static ip address from an ISP?
    What kind of connection would you recommend? Please give me a price and bandwidth comparision.
  3. SwollenMember

Static IP--YES.
    Connection--If you plan on having a lot of customers...T1, or frac T1.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"how do they find my sever?"

what exactly do you mean?

i took it one of two ways:
    - delegation. you have to have a domain pointed at your nameservers, designated as authoritive by the parent nameserver
    - you must have an ip address (or two!) (preferably static, most domain managers would frown upon delegating to a dynamic addressed host, not to mention the hassle of making sure that the parent nameserver keeps up to date with your current IP).

you might want to read up a bit on what you are getting yourself in for before you commit yourself to anything...
  7. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supine:
    "how do they find my sever?"

what exactly do you mean?

i took it one of two ways:
    - delegation. you have to have a domain pointed at your nameservers, designated as authoritive by the parent nameserver
    - you must have an ip address (or two!) (preferably static, most domain managers would frown upon delegating to a dynamic addressed host, not to mention the hassle of making sure that the parent nameserver keeps up to date with your current IP).

you might want to read up a bit on what you are getting yourself in for before you commit yourself to anything...
    [/quote]

I intend to run an authoritive name server. who will be my parent nameserver-does ISP's
    provide this service? On a second thought-is there any advantage(cost, etc.) in running
    my own nameserver.

Could you please give me some references/howto's on this(i.e. running
    authoritive nameserver)?

Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo