Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Whats the difference between Linux web hosting and Windows web hosting?

Heya Please tell em what the difference is between linux web hosting and windows web hosting. I made my site by dreamweaver does that affect either of the 2 i should choose please tell me thanx!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello,

If you would like to host ASP/ASP.NET with MS SQL then you should get Windows Hosting. Otherwise if you would like to host PHP with MySQL then go for Linux hosting.
    You could host html pages on both platforms, so choose the hosting provider based on other factors as price, location, customer support, ad-ons etc...

Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Free ASP.NET Web hosting resources and information.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Anna Hussie
    Heya Please tell em what the difference is between linux web hosting and windows web hosting. I made my site by dreamweaver does that affect either of the 2 i should choose please tell me thanx!
    linux hosting
    Linux is an open source system and is therefore more cost-effective to operate and maintain than Windows, meaning that Linux hosting will cost you less than Windows hosting. Linux also has a reputation for stability and speed which means that Linux web servers will crash less often than Windows web servers and Linux runs most processes faster than Windows.

windows hosting
    The main "advantage" or distinction of Windows servers is that they can run Microsoft software such as Access and MS SQL databases. Windows servers also offer web developers the use of Microsoft's programming environments such as Active Server Pages (ASP), Visual Basic Scripts, MS Index Server.
  7. No Profile Picture

Linux

Linux web hosting is considered to be more secure than windows and it is an open source system and it is more stable and reliable.

Windows web hosting allow you install Microsoft applications software.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Let's say they are as much different as Windows OS and Linux OS. Most of the things you can use on these are different including applications which run on them.
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  11. No Profile Picture

Linux is good I prefer it to windows but it depends on you
  13. No Profile Picture

The difference is nothing but these are 2 different platforms which supports different applications. It fully depends upon you on which platform to choose. Select that platform with which you are comfortable.
  15. No Profile Picture

hosting

Linux is open source considered to be more secure than Windows and people who want to use Microsoft product need Windows based hosting servers.
  17. No Profile Picture

One of the biggest differences between the Linux and Windows servers is security. Linux is built much more secure than Windows servers. From the offset, the root level is not available to most programs without permission.
    Also, it is much easier to control URL structure in Linux which is important for search engine rankings.
  19. Contributing User

The only difference is the operating system. Otherwise in terms of efficiency and performance both the web hosting platforms are equally efficient.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Linux hosting

simply refers to a web host running the Linux operating system on their server along with the database and other software. The functionality and flexibility of Linux has made it a viable alternative to Windows and even other Unix-based systems, the platform it is designed after. Linux is world renown for its capability as a reliable system built for the network server environment. Linux web hosting is often referred to as a LAMP, a server model based on the Linux operating system, the Apache server software, a MySQL database and the PHP programming language. Over the years, Linux has consistently been the preferred choice for serving web pages and powering web-based applications. Currently, nearly 50 million websites are being hosted on this platform worldwide.

Windows Hosting
    We have already covered the basics of web hosting and what you need to be aware of when selecting a service on an overall scale. We have also detailed the Linux operating system and its capable platform as a web host. On the surface, Linux may appear to be the more capable web hosting server when compared to Windows. With all itís great features and inexpensive cost, Linux has to be the best choice, right? Donít be so quick to make that final judgment. You should first make yourself familiar with Windows Web Hosting in order to come up with the best solution.

Since its initial release back in 1993, the Windows NT (new technology) server is highly regarded to be the very first operating system to stress easy usage for its customers. The server was introduced as a component of Windows version 3.1, the default operating system supplied to most PC users at the time. The NT setup was an easy process which made it rather attractive to typical users and large corporations alike. The inclusion of this server allowed users to excel to higher levels and ultimately provided a more robust and capable operating system. Users view the interface of Windows Hosting as one that is much easier to administer than Linux or Unix. Webmasters in training generally have an easier time building a site as little expertise is required. On the other hand, Windows has recently attempted to mold itself in the light of Unix like servers, making the system more complex than originally and somewhat more difficult to control.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by mrkallen
    Linux is an open source OS and people prefer it because of its solid security whereas if you are interested in using Microsoft product than you need Windows based hosting server.

I concur ....It comes down to security/compatibility.
  25. No Profile Picture

Hello Friends.........

Windows usually uses IIS for the server, MS Sql Server for a database, and ASP / ASP.net for scripting

Linux usually uses Apache for the server, PHP and PERL for scripting and PostGres or mySQL for database servers.

Thank
  27. No Profile Picture

wow i didn't know that there is difference in hosting between linux and windows. i thought that as they were only OS and anything on the internet has nothing to do with it. Awesome i get to learn more and more as i look into different forums.
  29. No Profile Picture

Post Re:

As of me Linux supports a wide range of software, applications, languages, and databases such as PHP, Perl, PostGre, MySQL, PostgreSQL and many others making it very scalable. On the downside, Linux is not fully compatible with some Microsoft technologies so if you are using Access, ASP, MS SQL, or VB development tools then Windows would be a better bet.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo