1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Problem uploading large files.

I have a client that wants to allow his customers to upload large files to his website. The web host has a file upload limit of 64 MB. What are my options for providing my client a way to upload large files?

Also, the current upload function is slow and only provides progress information for chrome. Improving on that would be a bonus.

Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You don't have a whole lot of options if you goal is to have a web based file upload.

With Flash or Java you could program a chunked file transfer and keep each chunk under 64MB. At this time, it's not possible to do that in all major browsers using only HTML/JS.

You could ask the web host to configure a higher limit or you could switch web hosts.

In some situations, you could have the customer upload the file using something like FTP instead of a web interface. You could also find a Flash or Java program that uploads over FTP instead of HTTP.

The upload being slow is more likely an issue with either your connection speed or the server's connection speed. The only way to improve it is to get a better connection. In the US, most residential broadband connections are capable of upload speeds of about 50 - 250 KB/s. If the server is on a 1Mb/s uplink it will max out at 125KB/s.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I think you cant overide php file upload function. You need another host, cheap VPS where you can increase it or allow people upload the files to somewhere else i think.
    Last edited by postcd; April 10th, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
    $0.5 Hosting on cPanel
    $4 VPS; $30 Dedi
    InstantcPanelHosting.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo