Thread: T1 Capabilities

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

We currently sell hosting to approximately 30 companies right now, and are presently out-sourcing the hosting.

We are thinking of bringing it in-house and getting an additional T1 line to host these websites, in which I would manage.

We estimate that, in the near future, we will be hosting approximately 1,000 sites with 20,000 users/day activity.

Do you think the T1 line can handle this kind of traffic, and if so, what is the maximum it can handle?

I know this is a broad question, but I have to propose this solution to my boss ;-)

Thank you for your help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Resident Moron
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The Users/Day aspect is going to be more of a server strength issue. The only thing the T1 will be concerned with is ACTUAL bandwidth. This can vary wildly between sites. An average user's session on one website (a webmail site, for example) could be relatively small compared to that of a CNN/Portal type site that serves a lot of content. (On the other hand, someone with a lot of mail could do some bandwidth damage to a Webmail site )

So, in other words, you'll need to know a little more about the bandwidth requirements of the sites that you'll be hosting and then maybe someone who knows a little more about T1 bandwidth can answer the question a little more specifically.

You'll also want to look at your PEAK traffic. If your line, for example can handle 100KB/sec (This isn't a T1, just an example) and you average 1GB/day (~11KB/Sec) this seems like it would work... but if you're doing 750MB of that in one particular hour (~200KB/sec) then you'll overload your connection. This is a fairly extreme example, but it should serve as a decent illustration.

-Pete

[Edited by pholiday on 02-23-2001 at 12:20 PM]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo