1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question

I am planning to make a site like http://asl.to . And i am now looking for a good host. My question is how much bandwidth per month and how much disk space would i need for a site like http://asl.to . If somebody could give me some figures that would eb great.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

can't calculate

There are so many variables involved with something like that, that you can't even begin to calculate what it would take. How many people are going to sign up? I mean if 100 people sign up than it would take next to nothing but if 10,000 sign up you might need some decent bandwidth. Though the pages are pretty simple and wouldnt be much more than 20k if you let them upload there own images than you could restrict them on how big they could be, or even make them link to the iamges from a different server/hompage, In that case you wouldnt need hardly any bandwidth. If I were you I'd start out with a vurtual server something cheap....then if your site takes off you can always upgrade. You dotn want to start off with soemthign too big and end up paying for space and bandwidth your not using. ya know?
  5. No Profile Picture

Question

If I would have about 10000 people, pictures with max 60kb. How much do you think i need?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

still

But it still depends are these people giving out this url 20 times a day, 100 times? do the math a page might be 80kb with pics x how ever many page views per day x 30 days in a month = total bandwidth. Liek I said start out on a small server and wait until they tell you your using to much andwidth then just move to a dedicated ;-)
  9. No Profile Picture

Yes, but dont think its easy to move the database or am i wrong here?? I am gonne use an mysql database. That is what worry's me, is it easy to move the site?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hmm

That I don't know but if its like any other database I'm not sure whats so hard about it. I don't think diskspace is going to be an issue just get a good amount to start....and make sure your on a server that has upgradeable bandwidth or over and above bandwidth packaging.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    MySQL DBs are easy to move.

mysqldump -u User -pPassword -dDatabasename > /path/to/some/file.sql

FTP file.sql to the new server and:

mysql -u User -pPassword -dDatabasename < /path/to/where/file/isnow/file.sql

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo