Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Starting Game Hosting

Hi,

I want to know how to start a Game Hosting Business?
    I appreiciate any details like game (ex. Counter Strike) license?
    Hardware requiremnts? Bandwidth usage?...

thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Game hosting is a pretty cut throat business and the margins can be kind of slim.

Most games don't require a license to run a server, in fact, most don't even require that you own a copy of the game. You would need to research each game that you want to host individually though. Counterstrike falls under the category of not even needing a copy of the game.

Hardware requirements and bandwidth usage will both be high, but it depends more on the particular game than anything else. You can research each game individually to determine this.

There are a ton of things to consider when starting a business, but from a technical perspective basically to get started you need to rent a few dedicated servers or co-locate a few servers at a datacenter. Renting servers will probably cost $100-$300 / mo / server, co-locating a server will probably cost a little less per month (especially if you have a lot of servers) but you'll have to buy the server which will cost $1000-$2000.

There are game hosting control panels you can buy that will handle game management to some degree, but I'm not too familiar with these. Otherwise, you'll need to manually install the game servers on your servers.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yeah basicle the same price as him.. Inless you know people..
  7. No Profile Picture

Everything regarding hardware is there.
    I was googling about this, can some one tell me what they mean by "Slot"?
    like 1$/slot !!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unlike other traditional table games such as blackjack or poker, slots don't require any gambling knowledge. No skills required to play the slot machine.
  11. No Profile Picture

webhostingdir, i didn't get it, what they mean by $/slot??

Also, how calculate how many number of users each single server can handle? is it related to the game instances or hardware?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It depends on server capabilities to handle number of users. Actually I do not have much experience with Gaming servers. But I think slot concept is not related to Hardware.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by webhostingdir
    Unlike other traditional table games such as blackjack or poker, slots don't require any gambling knowledge. No skills required to play the slot machine.
    @webhostingdir -- still no idea why you put that thing about slot machines

but anyways @alans7 what they mean by $1/slot is a slot is basically a player. So depending upon the game it is the number of players that could be playing at once / game NOT / server (because some servers could have more than one, and usually do, games at once running).

So picture it as a 24 slot server for Counter-Strike will allow you to have 24 players playing that ONE game of Counter-Strike.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

@AvsH thanks for the clarification about slots. Actually, I was referring to the server capabilities.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by webhostingdir
    @AvsH thanks for the clarification about slots. Actually, I was referring to the server capabilities.
    Well it all depends upon both the game and hardware. Some major things you want to look into is HIGH CPU and RAM (memory)
  21. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

To be perfectly honest and without trying to be mean, if you didn't know what was meant by "cost per slot" you probably shouldn't be entering the game hosting market. Alternatively, you should hire a system administrator with game hosting experience to run your servers.

You can't make an accurate correlation between slots and hardware requirements without knowing which game you are running. Hosting 10 quake 4 slots is going to require significantly more and better hardware than hosting 10 quake 3 slots.

Actually in terms of managing the number of slots per server the number of game instances matters less than the number of people playing on the server at any given time. You can host a lot of game instances if they are not used very often, but only a few if they are used heavily.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    To be perfectly honest and without trying to be mean, if you didn't know what was meant by "cost per slot" you probably shouldn't be entering the game hosting market. Alternatively, you should hire a system administrator with game hosting experience to run your servers.
    Thanks E-Oreo.
    As for entering game server business without former knowledge, that is how first one started the business, right?
    I mean, if first one who done this job had same idea about not doing it without former knowledge then he wouldn' started it!

Unlike all other subjects like Networking, OSs, Programming, WebDesign...etc.. asking questions about game servers is the one that their pros won't reply in a way that makes you keep going..

I don't mean you, you did replied my questions and i do appreciate that but some are not replying and they just telling to stop doing that.

Without sharing knowledge no one learned anything.

Cheers
  25. ~ѕυяяєη∂єя~

My suggestion if you would like to get into gameservers would be to just get into a gameserver reseller program such as the one offered by my company. This allows you to get your foot in the door so to speak with out just jumping completely into the world.
    track3r.net My Personal Blog | Twitter
    TheModShop Tech Blog
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

some hosts, like serverpoint.com for instance, are offering special plans for game servers on request. Try asking them about it.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Check out this one http://www.serverpoint.com/english/d...d-server.phtml
    Not sure if they offer that now but I remember some time ago they offered pretty good and very intersting web hosting solutions for game industry
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo