1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Redoing a website- question about accessing files

I am redoing a website that is currently being hosted by some shady company that is completely unreachable. I have the ftp server info and password, and I am trying to get on using FileZilla, however there must be something incorrect because it is not letting me access the site.

Is there anyway I can host this website using the same current domain, even though it is already being hosted by this other horrible company? The person I am doing the site for has been trying to contact the company for months to cancel hosting, but they are not responding.

For example, if the company was company.com, and I have created a new site for them which I have on my own webserver, how do I access company.com so that the website I made will now be at that domain? Is this possible to do?
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Pwebdesigns
    I am redoing a website that is currently being hosted by some shady company that is completely unreachable. I have the ftp server info and password, and I am trying to get on using FileZilla, however there must be something incorrect because it is not letting me access the site.

Is there anyway I can host this website using the same current domain, even though it is already being hosted by this other horrible company? The person I am doing the site for has been trying to contact the company for months to cancel hosting, but they are not responding.

For example, if the company was company.com, and I have created a new site for them which I have on my own webserver, how do I access company.com so that the website I made will now be at that domain? Is this possible to do?
    To change hosting, you need to change nameservers at the domain registrar. Did you purchase your domain through the company that is currently hosting? If so, then you may still have problems, and I would suggest for you to try and transfer the domain to another domain registrar.

If the domain has been registered somewhere other than at your current webhost, then you need to log in to your domain registrar and change the nameservers to point to your webserver. You, of course, would need to have nameservers to put in there, which you would need to supply (and create)... or use a 3rd party DNS company such as dyndns.org to provide certain DNS for you.

Comments on this post

• brianbak agrees : Will have to get them to update the nameservers to your webserver.
  5. No Profile Picture

Rephrasing the question

Let me rephrase the question because I don't think it was worded right:

I am redoing a website that currently exists: we'll call it business.com, for example.

The website that is up and running now is on an ftp server: I have the username and password to the server and when I try to log on using filezilla, I get "530 User cannot login, Error: could not connect to server"

So I am thinking they either A- gave me the incorrect password, or B- do not allow outside access even with the password.

I have a server on my own computer (apache). so if someone puts myipaddres/business into a web browser the website is there. But I want to make it so that the website is accessible when going to "business.com"

However- the company who created "business.com" previously, and is currently hosting the site, is not returning my emails, and the phone number doesn't work- and the woman who owns "Business" is so fed up with them, She can't even get in contact with them...which is why she asked me to redo her website.

Is there anything I can do to make business.com become my own website, or do I need to find a way to contact these lowlifes that are hosting it?

PS I am new at this server technology stuff so can you also please explain it to me in the simplest elementary school terms I'm an artist- any left-brain functions do not come as easily to me as the right-brain functions... but I'm trying to learn!!!

Thanks so much for all your help!
  7. They're coming to take me away

To have the domain go through another host, you need to get in contact with the current host (or at least somehow log in). Now your FTP access may be different than your Control Panel log in for the host. FTP access may even be denied if they don't allow it. Some hosts only allow FTP access through their control panel.

But if you can't get a hold of them, I'm sure there may be some sort of legal way to get around all this... Maybe try doing a google search on this part.
  9. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What Hiker first said about transferring your domain is what you need to get that pointed to your new server. If you're thinking of hosting out of your home be sure your ISP allows this and that you have the bandwidth to support it. Do you really want your client's clients bogging down your connection speed while you're trying to stream a NetFlix on demand movie? Probably not ...

As far as accessing the content on the other site, if you can't get in there and you don't have a backup then be persistent with the current host. If that fails outright then you probably will need to recreate it, get as much content as you can from the existing site and pray you don't have a lot of server side scripting to do (you can likely recover all the HTML, CSS and images straight through accessing it http)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  11. No Profile Picture

Smile oh no! more questions!!!

Well I have already created the new site. The one that's up now is horrible- the guy has not updated it in years... it has said "Winter Sale" for the past 2 years! So the new site has new content and its all finished.

I am definitely going to move the website from the current server to another one- either my own or a different one- because I don't want him to be able to access it again. But if I guess I need to be able to access his server initially to be able to do that- which I am unable to do.

As far as the server thing- I have a Mac... I got it specifically for my new web design career (I am in school now- this is the 2nd website I have ever done so I am still learning) but I thought that you can use the mac as a server and not have any problems. We have a PC as well that my husband uses for his work- which is typically the computer we watch movies on etc...

However do you think it is unsafe to set up my Mac as a server? Does that basically give hackers access to my computer now? Do you think I am better off using a hosting company like GoDaddy instead?

I know this is now a completely different question- but I clearly am a newbie and you guys are clearly experts at this stuff- so I really value your advice!

Thanks!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You are better off using a web hosting company. Web hosting is literally dirt cheap and the quality of service you will get from a web host will far surpass anything you could hope to get using a residential internet connection. The problem is less the physical hardware and more a concern about your internet connection, which almost certainly is not intended or designed for hosting servers. Additionally, It doesn't sound like you have the experience you need at this point to be administrating a live web server.

You don't necessarily need access to the old server at all. What you need to do at this point is transfer control of the domain to a different registrar. Simply changing the domain nameservers or A records would work, but given your current experience with this company I definitely wouldn't want to keep them as a registrar.

Most web hosts don't have control panels for managing or transferring domains anyway, so you really need to actually get in contact with someone at the company. Simply having login details probably will not help you.

This is one of the reasons that I never register domains through my web host, I always use a third party registrar.

If I were you I would do the following:

First, get in contact with a dedicated third party registrar that you want to transfer your domain to. GoDaddy is one example. You don't need to worry about web hosting at this point, just getting your domain transfer. You can worry about setting up web hosting at a later time. The company you transfer your domain to does not need to be the same company that you purchase web hosting through, as long as the company you transfer the domain to is a dedicated domain registrar and not a web host that resells domains.

Talk to your new registrar and get all of the information you need from them in order to do the transfer. You might also ask them if they have any advice, as they probably deal with bad companies all the time.

Next, you need to get in contact with the old host and request that they transfer the domain. If the domain is registered in your client's name they have to transfer it by law.

At this point if you are unable to contact the company or they are unwilling to transfer it you either need to abandon the domain or take legal action. If the domain is unlocked your new registrar might be able to initiate the transfer from their end, but I am not certain about this and you would need to talk to them about it.

Comments on this post

• hiker agrees
    • brianbak agrees : Agreed

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo