1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Want a .org for high traffic site - any good deals?

The site is a non-profit, though popular, and I'm sure with ads could generate revenue. That's not the goal, it's basically just a reference site. How should I do this? I read somewhere a .org is free for non-profits? If ads in the future could make our site money, does that rule us out? We're not selling anything, just providing a reference.

Any help on this is appreciated. I know it's just $9.99 at GoDaddy, but if I can save $10 and just pay for hosting somewhere...all the better!

Also I'm curious - the .com and .net version of the domain I want the .org to are totally different from what I have in mind. Yet if I see popularity, what is to prevent them from either taking my idea and using it themselves or saying that they have the rights to the name first?

They are not relevant sites in the field I am wishing to explore, how can I protect what I do moving forward? And if I can do it cheaply at least...both sites appear to be overseas, not in the US, they are in a foreign language and do not relate to the subject matter I will be providing a reference for.

Thanks!

Caitlyn
  3. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

With Stealthy Hosting we offer a free .com, .net, .org, .biz, or .info domain name with all our hosting packages starting from $6.95.

On your other question, nothing stops anyone from buying a different cctdl (.com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, etc) of a domain, except in a few very rare copyright lawsuits(google, microsoft, etc) and even in those cases it is usually when someone buys a different extension or a typo to try to sell to the company for profit.

Also nothing stops them from stealing your "concept". They can't steal your site, but if they want to start a website on the same subject matter, they can.
    Last edited by brianbak; December 11th, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Brian Kearney, CEO Stealthy Hosting Inc
    Shared/Reseller/Dedicated Hosting Http://StealthyHosting.com
    Please Contact us for VPS/Colo pricing.
    Email: sales@stealthyhosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well, search for objective reviews and avoid self-promoters and overselling web hosts. That's it. Org is a good domain and if there is no available com or net you can use it.
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo