1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Domain redirection

I'm not sure where this question fits, but I'll take my chances here.

I've got a forum up and running and am just about to start a cooperation with another group. We want to mark a togetherness as well as give the forum a bump in page ranking, so they've created a subdomain on their server of the form "mypage"."theirpage".com and directed it to my server. However, as far as I've understood, I need to accept this redirection by adding the domain to my own web host account so that it'll be accepted at the DNS-level, but I'm hitting a snag:
    Exactly how should I define the domain on my own server? The control panel I'm provided with gives several options; using the subdomain on their server as an alias and so on. A vague question, sorry for that, but I'm still learning and lately all my time have been spent learning code and admin-tools, so if there's anyone here who just might help me get this connection right it'd be great!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't see any reason why you need to create any domain on your account to accept their forward...?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You don't need to do any DNS changes if I am understanding this correctly. Basically, just have them create an index.php file in the directory for "yourpage.theirhost.com". Fill the file with this code:

PHP Code:
    <?php header'Location: http:// ') ; ?>
    You can also use an htaccess redirect by creating a file .htaccess in that directory with this code:

Redirect 301 / Your site here
  7. No Profile Picture

if you don't know all the technical details... I think you can ask your webhost to do it for you.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo