1. 300lb Bench!
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Looking for advice:Dedicated or shared host

Right now, I have a dedicated server with godaddy and I'm paying $79 a month. I don't make that much money via ads on my chess website and was looking for a cheaper deal. I've done shared servers in the past and I've had bad results. Load times were terrible and customer service left something to be desired.

At the moment, I don't get that much traffic. Maybe 2K page views a day. I don't think that really should require a dedicated host at $79 a month (looking to cut expenses). What do you guys recommend? Again, I'm looking to cut costs but don't want a site that's so slow people start leaving. If I start building traffic, then I can always move to a more robust dedicated solution. Thanks in advance.
    Correspondence chess
    nothingbutchess.com
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Going back to Shared Hosting account would not work for you. Try either a VPS or any kind of Cloud solution. check for something that would save you money on system management.
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  5. 300lb Bench!
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ok, never heard of VPSes before. Clearly I haven't been paying attention to what's out there. I even considered getting a dedicated IP address and just host my site myself, but didn't think it was worth the hassle. Plus, I get way too many power outages where I live.

Ok, I see the link at the end of your post to one vps. Anybody have any recommendations? Which VPS do guys around here use?
    Correspondence chess
    nothingbutchess.com
  7. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If you're looking into VPS you can try Knownhost, ServInt or WiredTree at the top end for reliability and support or for Burstnet for a budget unmanaged solution.
  9. Autodidact
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

If you're comfortable with installing an entire hosting environment from scratch (Apache, MySQL, FTP, and SSH daemons, etc) then you should also check out rackspace's cloud servers.
    Soldiers, from the height of these pyramids forty centuries look down upon you.
    ▪ Napoleon, on the eve of the Battle of the Pyramids
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Going back to Shared Hosting account would not work for you
    Why?

I've used Shared hosting for years and never had issues with load time, customer service or anything else (on the one or two times in the last three years that I've contacted customer service).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

VPS or cloud hosting will do the trick.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Shared hosting is more than enough for a site getting 2k page loads a day. That is nothing. I have sites that get 20k page loads a day on shared hosting accounts.
    Free Web Hosting - Top rated free cPanel hosting
  17. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

I suggest you try a shared hosting virtual machine from Amazon EC2 or Slicehost. Start with the smallest instance, observe the performance, and upgrade to a larger instance if necessary. The VM model gives great flexibility without locking in to renting a dedicated server.
  19. No Profile Picture

i am looking for a good hosting too

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo