1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Starting a datacenter/webhosting

well first off I am new here and I would like to say hello to everyone! Hi!

My name is Jim, I am in the process of trying to start a web hosting business to run along with my technology services business. I am specifically looking to start a web hosting company with several servers maybe (3-5) and have a partner that is somewhat experienced in the web hosting business. I am a Microsoft Certified Systems engineer, so I am familiar with computers, hosting, etc, but I am unsure on how to go about starting a web hosting business, the required software, licenses, hardware, startup costs, colocations, dedicated servers, etc?

Additionally how do I go about finding a partner. I already have an established business "Dynixa Corporation" and I have been in business since 2000, but I have never offered web hosting services.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And I do apologize if this post is in the wrong area.

Thanks so much!

Jim
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Jim, your best bet would be to post this request on some of the more hosting specific forums - like web hosting talk. You are going to get a lot more feedback there, and there will be a lot more people interested in hosting partnerships.
    Free Web Hosting - Top rated free cPanel hosting
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

We never run Windows Hosting, except a few servers for partners. However it is a huge market and I'm sure you'd make it. My suggestion is to speak to local businesses and to figure out how much do they pay for exchange hosting, etc. and then to come up with a plan.
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  7. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by dynixa
    well first off I am new here and I would like to say hello to everyone! Hi!

My name is Jim, I am in the process of trying to start a web hosting business to run along with my technology services business. I am specifically looking to start a web hosting company with several servers maybe (3-5) and have a partner that is somewhat experienced in the web hosting business. I am a Microsoft Certified Systems engineer, so I am familiar with computers, hosting, etc, but I am unsure on how to go about starting a web hosting business, the required software, licenses, hardware, startup costs, colocations, dedicated servers, etc?

Additionally how do I go about finding a partner. I already have an established business "Dynixa Corporation" and I have been in business since 2000, but I have never offered web hosting services.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And I do apologize if this post is in the wrong area.

Thanks so much!

Jim
    Jim, as suggested before you should have a look at webhostingtalk.com where you cannot only find presumptive partners but also more specific discussions and tutorials about running a hosting business. Good luck.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try these two
    webhostingtalk.com
    datacentertalk.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo