#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    17

    Do not use Hostway!


    I wanted to put out a warning about an experience I am having with Hostway (a web hosting company). I set up a site a few years ago, and have paid them for hosting ever since (Hostway isn't a great company, but it's inconvenient to switch.)

    Yesterday morning (Friday) they had a server outage, resulting in a number of customers' MySQL databases being deleted, including my own. They claim they are working on restoring from backup, but so far it's been about 36 hours. No ETA on when they will, and nobody at their customer service seems to know anything.

    Things happen, but the worst part is they didn't tell any of the affected customers, and didn't even post a notice about it on their website. It looks like they're hoping that most customers won't notice and won't ask for refunds or get mad.

    I have my own backups so my exposure is limited, but I wanted to put the word out. There's no excuse for not telling your customers when their databases go down for 36 hours.
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0
    It really boils down to how much data was lost and it's not an easy /fast process to recover it all. Granted them not telling people what was going on isn't good, but I wouldn't trash a company over it taking them a long time to restore your databases, you have to put in perspective what else was broken on their end
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally Posted by 1UP
    It really boils down to how much data was lost and it's not an easy /fast process to recover it all. Granted them not telling people what was going on isn't good, but I wouldn't trash a company over it taking them a long time to restore your databases, you have to put in perspective what else was broken on their end
    I stand by my criticism. People can make their own choices -- don't you think potential customers have the right to know about a company's record? How is somebody supposed to evaluate a host's reliability?

    If they had been transparent about it, I wouldn't feel the need to let others know. But since they're not even telling the affected customers, I think I'm being helpful by posting this information.

    And let's be honest, 36 hours of unacknowledged outage (if they will ever get the data back, which is unclear) is not something most people would tolerate. It is actually a big deal.
    Last edited by psychoxl99; November 13th, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by psychoxl99
    I stand by my criticism. People can make their own choices -- don't you think potential customers have the right to know about a company's record? How is somebody supposed to evaluate a host's reliability?

    If they had been transparent about it, I wouldn't feel the need to let others know. But since they're not even telling the affected customers, I think I'm being helpful by posting this information.

    And let's be honest, 36 hours of unacknowledged outage (if they will ever get the data back, which is unclear) is not something most people would tolerate. It is actually a big deal.
    I'm simply explaining circumstances that people don't tend to understand when it comes to data recovery it's not instant and depending what all they lost it could take days to recover. And not once did I say anything about you posting this.

    I understand that you are upset over the lack of communication but once again my post wasnt geared towards that
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally Posted by 1UP
    I'm simply explaining circumstances that people don't tend to understand when it comes to data recovery it's not instant and depending what all they lost it could take days to recover. And not once did I say anything about you posting this.

    I understand that you are upset over the lack of communication but once again my post wasnt geared towards that

    Fair enough
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    166
    Rep Power
    6
    Hello,

    If it's true you should ask them for compensation. 36 hours are too much.

    Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Free ASP.NET Web hosting resources and information.
  12. #7
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by psychoxl99
    I wanted to put out a warning about an experience I am having with Hostway (a web hosting company). I set up a site a few years ago, and have paid them for hosting ever since (Hostway isn't a great company, but it's inconvenient to switch.)

    Yesterday morning (Friday) they had a server outage, resulting in a number of customers' MySQL databases being deleted, including my own. They claim they are working on restoring from backup, but so far it's been about 36 hours. No ETA on when they will, and nobody at their customer service seems to know anything.

    Things happen, but the worst part is they didn't tell any of the affected customers, and didn't even post a notice about it on their website. It looks like they're hoping that most customers won't notice and won't ask for refunds or get mad.

    I have my own backups so my exposure is limited, but I wanted to put the word out. There's no excuse for not telling your customers when their databases go down for 36 hours.
    Hope you can find another good hosting provider in the future.


    ------------------------------------------
    Regards



    ASPHostPortal
    "Do good things, and good things will come to you”
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    17
    Originally Posted by Portal88
    Hope you can find another good hosting provider in the future.


    ------------------------------------------
    Regards



    ASPHostPortal
    "Do good things, and good things will come to you”

    Thanks. For my high-load site I am going with Rackspace Cloud Sites in the future. For my low-load site, I am going to move it from Hostway to Blue Host or GoDaddy probably.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    4
    Originally Posted by psychoxl99
    Thanks. For my high-load site I am going with Rackspace Cloud Sites in the future. For my low-load site, I am going to move it from Hostway to Blue Host or GoDaddy probably.
    I hope that Godaddy was a joke
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    8
    Sorry to hear about your troubles with them. It's really irritating if you are not getting any reply nor aware of what's going on. You have your backups, so I don't think you'll have any problem moving with another host, if your current host is not helpful.

    And I do agree that GoDaddy is a great registrar, but I have read quite a lot of bad reviews about them. I don't have any experience with them, so really can't comment.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    40
    Originally Posted by psychoxl99
    I stand by my criticism. People can make their own choices -- don't you think potential customers have the right to know about a company's record? How is somebody supposed to evaluate a host's reliability?

    If they had been transparent about it, I wouldn't feel the need to let others know. But since they're not even telling the affected customers, I think I'm being helpful by posting this information.

    And let's be honest, 36 hours of unacknowledged outage (if they will ever get the data back, which is unclear) is not something most people would tolerate. It is actually a big deal.
    I have to agree with you that not informing customers of an outage that has lasted 36 hours is way too long especially when considering the possibility of lost data.

    If you do move to the rackspace cloud do let us know how it goes. Thanks for the review.
    Web Hosting 911
    In-depth Unbiased Hosting Reviews & Rankings

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo