1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Some questions about hosting (domain name, emails, etc)

Hello,

At the moment I am trying to find a place where to host my website. I found some that are as cheap as 3.95/month. I will not say the names so that I do not break any of these forum rules.

However, being this my first time, I am unsure if I am entering in some trap or if all is good and easy. Mainly I have three questions;

1) If the hosting company offers a free domain (forever) does that mean that I get the domain registered under my name or under the hosting company? In other words, if my domain makes a hit who really owns that domain? if I want to change the hosting can I just move or I have to buy the domain from the hosting company?

2) The hosting company I found offers unlimited email account @mydomain.com. Now, if I already have a domain, then do I need to move that domain to this hosting company (such as when moving a domain from one registrar to another). My current domain registrar offers me 1 email account. Having multiple accounts would be nice, however I do not wish to move my domain name from my current registrar.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by sim085
    1) If the hosting company offers a free domain (forever) does that mean that I get the domain registered under my name or under the hosting company? In other words, if my domain makes a hit who really owns that domain? if I want to change the hosting can I just move or I have to buy the domain from the hosting company?
    The free domain for life is for as long as you have the domain with that host. If you transfer it, you'll be paying for the domain each year, unless the new host offers some incentive or promotion that says otherwise. You would own the domain.

2) The hosting company I found offers unlimited email account @mydomain.com. Now, if I already have a domain, then do I need to move that domain to this hosting company (such as when moving a domain from one registrar to another). My current domain registrar offers me 1 email account. Having multiple accounts would be nice, however I do not wish to move my domain name from my current registrar.
    To take advantage of the unlimited email accounts, you would need to use the hosting account that is offering it. It shouldn't matter who the domain registrar is. You can register your domain with a registrar, and then host with the host of your choice. (The exception to this is if you register through a webhost during the hosting process).

Comments on this post

• sim085 agrees : Thanks
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by hiker
    The free domain for life is for as long as you have the domain with that host. If you transfer it, you'll be paying for the domain each year, unless the new host offers some incentive or promotion that says otherwise. You would own the domain.
    So the norm is that the domain is mine (registered under my name) and they pay for it yearly for as long as I keep my hosting with them. I am asking this question because I know of a case where a web design company bought a domain name under their name rather then that of their clients (they had username and passwords as well). When the client no longer wanted this company to be responsible for the website they asked for the domain details however they entered in lots of trouble because the domain was not really registered under their name. I never read the ending. I just don't want to be in that situation and want to be free to take the domain wherever I want if so I decide.

Originally Posted by hiker
    To take advantage of the unlimited email accounts, you would need to use the hosting account that is offering it. It shouldn't matter who the domain registrar is. You can register your domain with a registrar, and then host with the host of your choice. (The exception to this is if you register through a webhost during the hosting process).
    So I have my domain abc.com registered with registrar X. This domain is pointed to the servers of hosting company Y. The hosting company Y gives me unlimited email accounts. If I understand you correctly I can have unlimited email accounts with hosting company Y that are in the form <name>@abc.com?
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by sim085
    So the norm is that the domain is mine (registered under my name) and they pay for it yearly for as long as I keep my hosting with them. I am asking this question because I know of a case where a web design company bought a domain name under their name rather then that of their clients (they had username and passwords as well). When the client no longer wanted this company to be responsible for the website they asked for the domain details however they entered in lots of trouble because the domain was not really registered under their name. I never read the ending. I just don't want to be in that situation and want to be free to take the domain wherever I want if so I decide.
    Whoever buys the domains owns it. If a web designer purchases it for a client, then the client should own it unless otherwise specified by the designer. Generally speaking though, I don't know any designers that would purchase on behalf of a client and keep it unless there are certain circumstances such as client not paying, or designer just being vindictive for whatever reason. The web host is just that... a web host. Before purchasing from any company though, I would:
    1) Check reviews of the web host you're considering;
    2) Read through the fine print of the "free for life domain";
    3) Read the Terms and Services in full.

So I have my domain abc.com registered with registrar X. This domain is pointed to the servers of hosting company Y. The hosting company Y gives me unlimited email accounts. If I understand you correctly I can have unlimited email accounts with hosting company Y that are in the form <name>@abc.com?
    Yes, if the web host offers unlimited email addresses, then that's what you will have. Again, make sure the unlimited email addresses doesn't include any fine print either. Some may say "Unlimited email addresses*" ... where the * says "with purchase of Platinum package which is $10.00 / month" ....

Bottom line is read everything... reviews, terms and services, fine print, exclusions, limitations, etc...
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Basically you will get the domain name filled under your name and also you can change the web host as you want. As far as the free hosting is concerned then the provider may give it for the first few months and will charge it after words.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo