1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CentOS or Debian OS VPS?

Hi. I'm trying to sign up a vps plan to give it a try. I don't have much linux experience. I want to give it a try even though I'm not experience in installing things but there're two OS that I can choose from and want some opinion?

I'm creating a dating site in php & mysql. If there're lots of traffic, multi-user, then which one is better? I think once I've things install then I won't update or upgrade software much. So maybe centOS is better in my case and it's a prominent enterprise OS? But also I need to know which one is easier to install those open source software or framework as well?

CentOS LAMP Developer VPS
    CentOS, or Community Enterprise Operating System, is derived from a prominent Enterprise Linux operating system and aims to be 100% compatible with it.

Debian LAMP Developer VPS
    Debian is a popular multipurpose operating system that is both free and open source. It allows for incremental and rolling upgrades, making it easier to keep your server updated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you're not familiar with either then it doesn't really matter which you choose. There are significant differences between them, but one isn't better than the other. There also aren't really particular areas where one is better then the other, again they are just different.

I would choose centos because that's what I'm more familiar with.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

i think centos is better than the other it depends
  7. No Profile Picture

I would agree that Centos is the best option because it is more supported by different scripts and I personally find the SSH to be easier on Centos. When it comes to linux it really comes down to personal preference.
  9. Contributing User

CentOS is better and more reliable from my viewpoint.
  11. Contributing User

I will also suggest Cent OS as its the most used and stable distros of Linux. One of the important features of Cent OS is that its compatible with cPanel whereas Debain does not support cPanel. So its not easy for a Non-Technical guy to manage his server via SSH.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Centos is most widely used linux OS and best suits for most of the hosting control panel environments( Supports cpanel hosting panel)

Debian is light weight than the centos but lacking some inbuilt features of centos

In my point , i prefer and recommend to go for centos
  15. No Profile Picture

CentOS is better. Free apps don't have good support,so I would go with provider that gives you all the newest OS's in the industry,not just CentOS.
  17. No Profile Picture

CentOS is mostly preferred and recommended, as it supports control panel. And as you say you have not much Linux experience, having a control panel will make the management easy for you.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo