1. Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which types of hosting is good for business directory?

Hello,

We are running business listing search engine where in future we get large amount of traffic. Will you please suggest me which types of web hosting is good for that with some advantages. VPS/Cloud/Dedicated Server etc..
    As I am new, please describe in details..
  3. No Profile Picture

Unless you just know for a fact that your directory is receiving too many hits for shared hosting, I would suggest that you start out in shared hosting.

Unless there is just some reason that you need more resources. I'd start out in shared hosting, it's the least expensive option, and just see how your website reacts. You may have to try different shared hosting providers because some will be more oversold than others.

A VPS can also be on an oversold node, so that doesn't necessarily mean that you will get more hosting resources in a VPS environment. But generally you do get more resources with a VPS than you do with a shared hosting service. A VPS can also be a great way to better isolate your account from other accounts on a shared hosting server.

A dedicated server is really going to be the only way you will know resources that you are getting, but it's going to be the most expensive option.

Keep in mind with a VPS or dedicated server solution, you will probably want a managed solution, unless you are well versed in the operating system and applications that are used in those environments.

Cloud hosting is more of a name than a solution. Cloud hosting should typically give you access to control resources at any one time. If you find your website receiving a lot of hits, then you may need to temporarily boost the CPU and memory limits on the server, this is what Cloud Hosting can provide. Although, typically you never do this and a one-size-fits-all model is used. You also see a ton of web hosting providers that just stick the name Cloud Hosting on everything, so it's impossible to know if it's true Cloud Hosting or just a VPS or some other resource restricting service.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

That's easy. Start small and move up as you need to. When you get to the point that you need to upgrade talk to your hosting company and see what they suggest. Anything more than that is wasting money.
  7. No Profile Picture

If you want to be able to scale as you go and don't want to invest more than you have to I suggest going for DigitalOcean or Heroku.
    Such saas services can spare you a lot of trouble with configs and maintenance.
  9. Registered User

Is there any benefit to choose hosting IP from home country...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

VPS hosting would be apt.
  13. No Profile Picture

Generally, you want to host the website on the same continent as to whom the visitors will be mostly affected.

For example, if your visitors are going to be mostly from Europe, then it makes sense to host in a Europe datacenter.

Although, you also want to take into account the Internet infrastructure of that area. We used to have servers set up in southeast Asia, but found the connectivity to those servers to be less than ideal. We could set up servers on the west coast of USA and get better performance. That doesn't necessarily mean that all connectivity in southeast Asia is lacking - perhaps we just chose a poor datacenter to partner with down there - but it something else to consider.

For South American markets we have always heard that hosting in Miami USA provided a solid connection.

But if your market is global, then where you host it probably isn't going to have as much bearing on the connection speed. A good server in the USA would probably be best in that situation.
  15. No Profile Picture

VPS hosting is good strategy for a business directory. It will help you in getting more traffic and better ROI. You can try to use VPS hosting from the site TheWebPole.com.

Benefits of VPS Hosting:
    Improved Security
    Monitoring
    Backups and Restores
    IP Address
  17. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Boity
    VPS hosting is good strategy for a business directory. It will help you in getting more traffic and better ROI.
    How does a VPS get more visitors than a standard shared host? Visitors and search engines don't know if a site is hosted on shared, VPS, dedicated, cloud, etc, so what is the difference that makes more visitors go to a VPS?

Originally Posted by Boity
    Benefits of VPS Hosting:
    Improved Security
    Monitoring
    Backups and Restores
    IP Address
    All of these are also available on standard shared hosting. How are any of these different on a VPS? For me, a shared hosting account is better because the hosting company is managing things like security, backups, etc, and you don't have to do it yourself.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    How does a VPS get more visitors than a standard shared host? Visitors and search engines don't know if a site is hosted on shared, VPS, dedicated, cloud, etc, so what is the difference that makes more visitors go to a VPS?

All of these are also available on standard shared hosting. How are any of these different on a VPS? For me, a shared hosting account is better because the hosting company is managing things like security, backups, etc, and you don't have to do it yourself.
    I mean that VPS can manage the more visitors in future. Yes i accept all the features are also featured in the shared hosting but if he took a VPS plan he can manage both large and less visitors.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Ramaner
    Hello,

We are running business listing search engine where in future we get large amount of traffic. Will you please suggest me which types of web hosting is good for that with some advantages. VPS/Cloud/Dedicated Server etc..
    As I am new, please describe in details..
    I would suggest you to go for a SSD VPS as it can handle better disk I/O compared to traditional storage. You can start with the basic SSD VPS plan and then upgrade as your traffic improves.
    If you are purchasing a VPS with cPanel/WHM as control panel then it will be the best as even in future if your website outgrows VPS resources and you require dedicated server then all the data and content can be migrated to a dedicated server by using inbuilt tool provided by cPanel for transfer.
  23. Contributing User

VPS from hostwinds.com and libertyvps.net can be suitable for your needs.
    Prices are low and servers work with no glitches.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo