1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Adoption Information and Support site

I recently completed this website. The top is supposed to be reminecent of the Alamo for the Texas theme of the website. Please let me know your overall thoughts.

The only change we've considered so far is to make the top mirror the Alamo even more. Along with that to maybe add a stone look to just the top white area, and maybe even change the background to sky. We also may leave it as is, any input is appreciated.

http://www.threeyellowroses.com

Thanks,
    Minnow
    http://www.minnowwebdesign.com - Web Design for the small business and non-profits.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hmmm...I like the site but I think the top part is very pixelated. It needs to be much smoother.

As far as putting brick in there, I think it would look awkward unless you cut it off nicely with the content area of the site. You would either have to fade it in or put a little border separating the top "alamo" part from the content.

I whipped up three different styles for you to check out. One uses the brick, one is just plain white, and one has white with a drop shadow.

Brick
    White
    White with drop shadow

Comments on this post

• Minnow agrees
    I'll learn this stuff someday.
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Shiner_Man
    Hmmm...I like the site but I think the top part is very pixelated. It needs to be much smoother.

As far as putting brick in there, I think it would look awkward unless you cut it off nicely with the content area of the site. You would either have to fade it in or put a little border separating the top "alamo" part from the content.

I whipped up three different styles for you to check out. One uses the brick, one is just plain white, and one has white with a drop shadow.

Brick
    White
    White with drop shadow
    Yes I agree it is a little pixilated, didn't want to take too much time fixing it if I just redo it, it will be fixed for sure though.

For brick, I guess I really meant more of a white stone look, and yes faded in to the content area.

I'm pretty new to photoshop which is what I created the top Alamo look in, how would I add a dropshadow to the image? If it matters the lines/curves are a vector.

Thanks,
    Minnow
    http://www.minnowwebdesign.com - Web Design for the small business and non-profits.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Minnow
    Yes I agree it is a little pixilated, didn't want to take too much time fixing it if I just redo it, it will be fixed for sure though.

For brick, I guess I really meant more of a white stone look, and yes faded in to the content area.

I'm pretty new to photoshop which is what I created the top Alamo look in, how would I add a dropshadow to the image? If it matters the lines/curves are a vector.

Thanks,
    Minnow
    Photoshop Drop Shadows

I use Gimp but I think that is how it's done.

Comments on this post

• Minnow agrees : Thanks for the tutorial link.
    I'll learn this stuff someday.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Make two versions of the top.
    One PNG that is smoothed.
    One GIF (like it is now).

Make that top part a div tag with a set height and assign it a class of "top".
    In your stylesheet, make .top have the PNG as a background.
    Create an IE6 only stylesheet and make .top have the GIF as a background.

Link your normal stylesheet first on the page. Underneath it, in an IE 6 conditional comment, link your IE6 only stylesheet.
    Code:
    <!--[if IE 6]>
    <link href="/assets/style-ie6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <![endif]-->
    This way, you can have a smooth image for the top part in every browser except IE6.
    Alternatively, you can use the PNG fix. lol

Anyway, other than the top, I like the design. It's simple and doesn't make me think about where I need to look for stuff.

One change I might suggest is to reduce the space between each short-article and the "Read the rest of the entry" link.

Comments on this post

• Minnow agrees : Thanks for the stylesheet info, I wish IE6 didn't exist though.
    Last edited by simshaun; January 30th, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
  11. Contributing User

I have updated the top to look much more like the Alamo, and added a drop shadow. It should look much nicer now. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Minnow
  13. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I have updated the top to look much more like the Alamo, and added a drop shadow. It should look much nicer now. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Minnow
    I like the site layout. Looks very nice but I think it would look better if the image was a little bigger and floated to the left. Also it might make the search better if you aligned it up with the subscription option
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Thanks,
    Minnow
    To me, if they want "the alamo", maybe try altering the colors or even going for something that looks like the texture of the buildings back then.

But, it's not like it's a feed store or western shop now is it :-)

Other comments:

Are the other pages not really emphasized? It took me some specific looking to track down that "menu".

Is there a reason the about and other pages are so tall with all that white space? Use a height atribute somewhere??

Also, there is no main menu on those pages.

It's ok for a personal page, but just.
    Suddenly nothing happened.
  17. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Are the other pages not really emphasized? It took me some specific looking to track down that "menu".
    Just adding on. I had to really search for the..search bar. It just seems to blend in with the subscribe option. Try setting it apart from the subscription maybe.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo