1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Critique Client Splash Page

I had a client pay a designer to develop a "Splash" page for his website. The designer came up with a design that I would REALLY appreciate some feedback from this community on. Here is a link -

Splash Page Design

Please be as honest and candid as possible. I am aware there are those who will suggest a splash page is a bad idea all together so please refrain from any such comment(s).

THANK YOU.
    Today the world, tomorrow the universe...
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I think it looks good.

Just make sure there's some good content, keywords, alt tags, and such so it doesn't hurt the SEO.

I usually don't like splash pages, but this one might work out.

- and I think the navigation is important.
  5. |<.+#f@#+.&.|
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Splash screen is a terrible idea

I know you don't want such reply but it is the truth.
    You could make an intro page which both have more graphics than the sub pages but still incorporate information about or purpose of the page/firm.
    Splash screen just is just a waste of time for the viewers.

The font used isn't very good for readability.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As I wrote in my post, the issue is not with the usage of a homepage, rather the design the one presented.

Originally Posted by Akh
    Splash screen is a terrible idea
  9. |<.+#f@#+.&.|
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Well, one part of the job is to help clients from making bad decisions. Splash pages aren't a wise choice.

As I said the font isn't very readable, that isn't a good start to meet a site.
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

First of all I agree that splash screens are a very bad idea since visitors are not confronted immediately with useful stuff that is generally part of the "rest" of the site.

As for the splash screen design I have a couple of issues with it since I do have about 2 years of experience working on web design (sure it was perhaps a long time ago but I still remember some nifty stuff )

First of all splash screens are supposed to give a very good "all shiny" first impression of the site but this one fails on that because it looks more like something having to do with funeral services than real estate (just look at the amount of black color and the "grass" texture) It just weeps something like "Hello, did someone die? Good, here is an offer " The font is awful and unreadable too. On resolutions higher than 1440px (which are not so uncommon now too) you wont be able to read anything because of that "artistic" font. Sure the contrast is good (white letters on black background) but the font is simply unreadable.

Secondly this might be something that is already decided and perhaps there is nothing more to do about it but the two lower pictures on the left simply have a weird focus. In other words very badly chosen since the left most one is simply focusing on someones house backdoor and the one in the middle is showing some weird planes etc. I don't know. Splash screens if used are supposed to give a stunning first impression. This one doesn't, sorry

Comments on this post

• Skipt disagrees
    • ran_dizolph agrees : balance rep
    • ryon420 agrees
    • Akh agrees
    • zer0efx agrees : Our jobs as a Designer/Developer is to help clients make the right decisions! Well said!
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    abstract class Ignorance extends Stupidity implements Unavoidable 
         public static 
    $humiliation

private function 
    __construct(){

parent::__destruct();
         }; 

?>
  13. from the lab...

Frankly, the design looks reminiscent of a template site from 1996. It needs to be freshened up a bit and brought into 2009. Kill the over-widened black border, add some rounded edges, and perhaps reconsider the use of the pattern again inside what appears to be a content area.

Sidenote:
    Although I won't get into why splash pages aren't cool as you seem to already know this, I must ask: Why is there going to be a splash page?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ran_dizolph
    Frankly, the design looks reminiscent of a template site from 1996. It needs to be freshened up a bit and brought into 2009. Kill the over-widened black border, add some rounded edges, and perhaps reconsider the use of the pattern again inside what appears to be a content area.

Sidenote:
    Although I won't get into why splash pages aren't cool as you seem to already know this, I must ask: Why is there going to be a splash page?
    Thanks for the feedback, the short answer is because the client wants a splash page. I agree they are not a good idea but if the client wants it the client gets it. The new site is up - www dougswansonre dot com I think it came out ok, not great, but not bad. Tom

Comments on this post

• Skipt agrees
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Splash Pages are so 1998. Have you explained this to your client? Have you explained the serve NO purpose and might actually result in LOST traffic? As a Web professional, this is your job, not just to say "yes" to whatever foolish BS the client comes up with... Why don't you prepare some supporting documentation? You ARE a professional, right? Earn your $$ by setting the client straight.
  19. wizard

This is just a mock-up, right? You don't really intend to have the menu at the top appear as it does, do you? You intend to change it to the user's prefer font and size, right?

Although most people do not change the default font and size, two types do: web designers and people who can't see very well. Both get very upset when you don't use their chosen preferences.

BTW, how does it look when you set your minimum font size to 48pt?
  21. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I believe that the OP already said that his job has been concluded leaving the customer satisfied
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    abstract class Ignorance extends Stupidity implements Unavoidable 
         public static 
    $humiliation

private function 
    __construct(){

parent::__destruct();
         }; 

?>
  23. No Profile Picture

i think it's too classy....
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Arty Ziff has the right idea. Flash pages are lame.

wat?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo