1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Critique a kids learning game site

Hi, I thought I'd take the plunge and put up my site for critique. There are a few goals of the site (I'd appreciate it if you critiqued it along these lines. Or not):

1. Giving back by providing a solid educational experience
    2. Make money by properly integrating advertisements
    3. Attract traffic and links by having the best resources of a few types.
    For instance:

Games about Teeth
    keyboarding games
    Geography Games

The site is called:

Learning Games for Kids

thanks
    Last edited by johnegood; December 8th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
    John, founder:

SpellingCity.com - Best Spelling Website in History
    Time4Learning.com - Online homeschooling
    Time4Writing.com - Writing Tutorials & Courses
    LearningGamesforKids.com - Educational Games
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cool Site,

It looks really good, my only critique would be on your choice of ads, I know that the majority of ads these days are for games, but you might be advised to chose ads for something else, as your current choice would mean every clickthrough is also a loss of traffic.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

im not sure about the graphics but the site ranks #1 for its keyword -> learning games for kids.

future ref get the site coded using xhtml instead of html and divs instead of tables o and it should really w3c validate.

Do you get much cash through those adsense ads because i know you need a high level of traffic to get a good return on those.

See what i would do is call up the adsense companies your displaying and ask them if they want a banner - if they have adsense ads about then the spend money online.

Comments on this post

• eddie21leeds agrees : Great tip about the adsense... I would never have thought of that!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No offense but the design looks a bit 'dated'. I think it's the blue background... i wonder what it would look like with a plain white background. The way i see it is - how many of the big sites can you think of that do not have a white background??
    I think the other graphics are ok and may look better on a white bacground.
    Also, i would loose the text ads down the right side they are misleading and irreleavant, they look like your links. e.g. i clicked on 'Animal Games' and was taken to to the Mitsubishi motors homepage!! I would get rid of them and have your banners there... Like i said, I think a white background and a bit of messing around with the fonts etc will bring the look up to date a bit...
    HTH
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

your right Eddie about the ad links on the right being misleading and irreleavant, as you prob already know the adsense guys get a % of the adwords pay per click - so the adsense guys want as many clicks as possible therefore if you make ads look like they are part of the website navigation then your going to get more clicks - i think its naughty but thats just me
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For me, its just too covered in ads. In particular the links on the right which to me stand out as ads (though I agree some people will click them thinking it is navigation)

For your first goal "Giving something back", I'd give it "null points". On the aim of making some money you might do better.
  13. No Profile Picture

looks good but background is not looking good

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo