1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Our new design Vs our old one

(NEW)
    http://clickorderprint.com/dev

(OLD)
    http://www.clickorderprint.com

I wrote the old one a few months ago and we decided it didn't fit the industry (its ugly). So I remade it this week and this is where I'm at so far.

Anyone see any browser issues? I tested it on everything I had access to. (IE 5 6 7 8) (FF 3 3.5) (Safari 4) It works fine on all of them

My whole goal here was to avoid writing conditional css and for it to work on all legitimate browsers. I'm supporting IE 5 because I have a decent amount of visitors that still use it, not sure why.

The only thing I know of is that safari screws up my arial font as usual, but o well.

Anyone have any thoughts?

NOTE: I haven't compressed any images yet, and ignore typos and lorem ipsum paragraphs (obviously)
    Last edited by brandon1; August 26th, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture

New site looks alot better and would like to see it when it is done to comment more on the various pages of the site. I did see something though that I have to comment on. Your W3C seal. Why have it? Do your customers care if the site validates or not? Does this seal help your visitors in anyway? I can understand having one if you're a designer or SEO provider but you're not.

BTW
    you also have 6 errors and it does not validate but that is beside the point as I would remove it for one and the site is not done for two

Viewing the site in Firefox everything looked good, but I did see a very small flaw. If the visitor zooms in using Firefox you get a white box in the lower right corner. This is a small flaw and the only one I saw.

Lastly do not forget about SEO and accessibility.

Comments on this post

• brandon1 agrees : brought my attention to the validation errors, thanks
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm weird about the w3 seals. I leave them up while developing so I don't have to do much to make sure it validates. I just click it and see the validation. I'll pull it off when I move it from dev to production.

The box thing is weird, something to do with the image, I'll have to look at it when I get to work tomorrow.

The validation is a new one, I made the flash thing today (well part of it anyway) and just dropped it in, all of the validation errors are dealing with the embed code. Thanks for pointing it out, I didn't look for some reason, I wanted to go home haha.

Thanks for replying!
  7. Person
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I only am viewing it ff3. I noticed a small thing also. On your navmenu you have a blue label on the selected page, home, products, faq,etc. The blue home label doesn't overlap the base menu entirely.

It looks pretty official, brandon1, but another suggestion I can offer is changing the "our products" menu titles where it has Most Popular, General Printing. I think it will look sharper of placing them to the left, instead of centering the titles.

Hope that helps some, cheers.

Comments on this post

• brandon1 agrees : align left, good call
    Give Opera some love. Use it and you'll see why.

Oh, those monkeys.::What's wrong with the world today?::The lion king in 5 seconds.

My body is so sexy.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok,

I aligned the text left on the "our products" section. Good call there. It looks alot better.

I got rid of all of the new validation errors.

The nav menu was intentional. I added more space to make it seem like less of an accident.

The white box at the bottom is caused by the footer, although it's set to 100% width, the floating right logo there is the only thing that actually stretches when you zoom in. FF kills alot of things when you zoom so I'm not too concerned. (very observant catch though)

By the way, ignore my flash thing in the middle for a while. It's very ugly while I'm developing it.
  11. Person
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Also, you may wanted to consider on your search bar clearing the default text "Site search" when the user focuses the box.
    Give Opera some love. Use it and you'll see why.

Oh, those monkeys.::What's wrong with the world today?::The lion king in 5 seconds.

My body is so sexy.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Will do, I haven't started any of the jquery yet for this one.

Lots of layout stuff to do before I start on the javascripting.

I've been working on that flash thing in the middle of the page. Hard to get it right.
  15. Contributing User

I must say, I'm impressed by the look & feel of the site. I couldn't really get a grasp on what the site was for, until I read a few paragraphs. It looks good, the images and everything have good effect. I like how the entire site is centered around the three step process. Though clarity of what the process is for should be top priority. Apparently, we send you files, you print "x" copies of them on correct paper with exquisite quality, and ship them to us, or our customers?

I even like the Flash, I imagine you're done with it now..? Well except for the text-labels at least. You put "Blag" instead of "Blah", lol.. (I'm kidding, btw, I know you'll change that anyway).. It functions very nicely. I like the side-panels and their headers. Also, the main body area is better open than enclosed; like the original is enclosed in little panel things.

All of your buttons and image choices; Pristine.

Just one thing. You should contribute web design to WysGui CMS
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It could be copied from someone else, I didn't design it.

I just cut it up the jpg they sent and made it a website with css. (I thought I did a good job keeping to their design )

I did however come up with the flash thing. Still a long way off from it being done. It is integrated into the site, so if you hover your mouse on some of the links on the left, it interacts with the flash.

It will eventually do that for a lot of different aspects of the site. So if you are looking at something there is an image in the top middle with a name and description under it (thats the blag haha)

I'm definitely a coder and not a designer unfortunately. the original design was the best I could do.
  19. No Profile Picture

I favor the new site more over the old one. I really like the layout, colors, and style.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks, yea we've moved it from being in development to production. The old version is no longer online.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo