Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

everything is nicely laid out. My only critiques would be the same as some others have said here. Monitors and resolutions are getting bigger and bigger every day. The norm used to be having sites 800px wide. but now I would be looking in the 1000-1100px wide range. But this is not a must. Something that might help it look no so small is to add a little border on the left and right side of the entire page. Maybe with a little drop shadow. This would draw the eye to the middle of the screen instead of the big gaps on the left and the right on monitors with a high resolution.

Also i think the navigation needs a little bit of fixing. Dropdowns should really only be used if there is more than one page in the category. Sort of like when in school English teachers always said when making an outline if you have an A you must have a B if you have a 1 you must have a 2. Basically if you only have one page for the category then the main nav button should be the link to the page.

One other tiny thing I have is that at the bottom where it says follow in Twitter and Facebook, that should probably be changed to follow us on. Just seems to be the norm.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by drumn4life0789
    everything is nicely laid out. My only critiques would be the same as some others have said here. Monitors and resolutions are getting bigger and bigger every day. The norm used to be having sites 800px wide. but now I would be looking in the 1000-1100px wide range. But this is not a must. Something that might help it look no so small is to add a little border on the left and right side of the entire page. Maybe with a little drop shadow. This would draw the eye to the middle of the screen instead of the big gaps on the left and the right on monitors with a high resolution.

Also i think the navigation needs a little bit of fixing. Dropdowns should really only be used if there is more than one page in the category. Sort of like when in school English teachers always said when making an outline if you have an A you must have a B if you have a 1 you must have a 2. Basically if you only have one page for the category then the main nav button should be the link to the page.

One other tiny thing I have is that at the bottom where it says follow in Twitter and Facebook, that should probably be changed to follow us on. Just seems to be the norm.
    Thanks,

1st, Its true there are many big resolutions, however at the same time there are so many with small resolutions, such as small laptops and tablets etc.
    So the solution I think might be to serve one page for resolutions bigger than xxxxx and the 800 page for rest.
    And doing a border, I did once but my cooperator did not like says is looks like a paper.... I will have a look at this however have more urgent things as making the menu work on smartphones and tablets.

2. There are diferent opinions on having dropdownmenu when only having one page in a category. I read its confusing for the user to mix them as they dont know when they should do a clik and when expect something to hover up, and my opinion is that I agree with that.

3. The follow us in, thanks will change that, could be due to be swedish lol.
    Last edited by helenp; February 18th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

The site looks nice. There are only two things I would recommend changing:

#1:
    Your navigation needs replaced/fixed because it doesn't work on smartphones or tablets. I would use CCS3 and not Javascript for this. Here is a link to some Tutorials and Techniques.

#2:
    I would add a slightly transparent white background to your container div to improve the legibility of your text. Here is some example code you can use:

Code:
    #container { margin: 0; padding: 0; position: relative; width: 766px; background: rgba(255,255,255,0.6); }
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Ceilingwalker
    The site looks nice. There are only two things I would recommend changing:

#1:
    Your navigation needs replaced/fixed because it doesn't work on smartphones or tablets. I would use CCS3 and not Javascript for this. Here is a link to some Tutorials and Techniques.

#2:
    I would add a slightly transparent white background to your container div to improve the legibility of your text. Here is some example code you can use:

Code:
    #container { margin: 0; padding: 0; position: relative; width: 766px; background: rgba(255,255,255,0.6); }
    Thanks, the link can only be viewed when I click on reply, anyway this is the link http://speckyboy.com/2010/03/15/15-css3-navigation-and-menu-tutorials-and-techniques/
    Anyway, I am a bit doubthing, as far as I heard, css3 is not 100% supported in all browsers included smarthphones.....is this not so?
    If so, not sure that is much better, the menu is my most urgent thing I have to do and its driving me mad, as dont know what to do or wich to choose, I cant test them on any tablet or smartphones.
    Will test the white transparent background.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Had a look on those css3 menus, they all use hover, same as my menu however I use #menu li:hover {position:relative; z-index: 500;} and those menus uses the hover on li a:hover.
    Dont know, as far as I heard what is not supported is the hover itself....please correct me if Im wrong.
    And nowhere it says that the menu works in smartphones......
    This will drive me mad, I feel so frustrated.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by helenp
    Had a look on those css3 menus, they all use hover, same as my menu however I use #menu li:hover {position:relative; z-index: 500;} and those menus uses the hover on li a:hover.
    Dont know, as far as I heard what is not supported is the hover itself....please correct me if Im wrong.
    And nowhere it says that the menu works in smartphones......
    This will drive me mad, I feel so frustrated.
    I tested this menu and it works on my iPad, plus there is a work around for older IE browsers that don't support :hover

www.gethifi (dot com) /blog/nicer-navigation-with-css-transitions

Let me know if you need help after going through the tutorial.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Ceilingwalker
    I tested this menu and it works on my iPad, plus there is a work around for older IE browsers that don't support :hover

www.gethifi (dot com) /blog/nicer-navigation-with-css-transitions

Let me know if you need help after going through the tutorial.
    Thanks,
    I know Ipad and Ipod supports hover partially, dont know when and when not.
    Went to apple store and tested my menu, sometimes it opened and sometimes it did not, looked like depending on how you touched the screen.
    However I know for sure blackberry does not support my menu at all. Its a question about testing....but its still hover that is not 100% supported, If I do a touchscreen dropdownmenu search I keep reading hover is not supported, as so much old information comes up in google its hard to research.

Also I need a 2 level menu.
  15. No Profile Picture

site looks very good pages are takeing a bit to load for me though
  17. No Profile Picture

It is simple, but it gets the job done. Nicely done!
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo