August 24th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Ok.. first the new rules...
Now the compliance to the new rules...
1. Done did dat!
2. Meant to entertain, generate a few laughs, and provide links to many intensely cool sites
3. Done did dat (on every page)!
4. Generally everything
OK... whew! Tough rules
Now... go for it! Review my website. Trash it. Tell me it sucks. Point out all the flaws.. all the mistakes. I can take it. Besides, I'm in the mood for a good trashing right now.
August 24th, 2003, 10:18 AM
1. The 'preload images' intro screen would be a little obnoxious if I were still on a dial-up connection. Is it really necessary?
2. Overall, the layout isn't bad - the top navbar and side navbar work well together; the color choices are minimalist, and help to keep the user's focus on the content (images, jukebox, copy) instead of the site's framework itself. Nice.
4. The 'Random Thought' at the top is easy to gloss over; you should consider changing the background color or text color slightly to draw attention to it (think: light blue background, for instance).
5. Some kind of Welcome message on the side - perhaps at the top of the main content, perhaps somewhere off to the side, perhaps following a link that says 'about this site' - would help to give users a clue as to what your site is for.
6. OK - I found your 'about' page in the 'navigate this site'. Rule #1 whenever you include music on your site: Don't have it 'auto-play', ever. If I were viewing this site at work, now my boss knows I'm surfing, and I'll never visit this site again. Or, if I happened to be listening to a CD on my PC at the time, now I have to listen to your music over Jon Scofield, and nobody messes w/ Sco. Keep the 'music player' bar at the top, sure, but let the user decide if they want to listen to the stuff or not. Besides that, the music that *is* playing is just awful.
There is probably more, but thats a good start.
August 25th, 2003, 09:18 AM
that extra scroll bar on the right that follows the screen; it's a cool idea if you got rid of all the scrollbars (which i'm not sure is even possible) except for the fact that its very jumpy... you mouse over it and it bounces up and down rapidly; it may only be this browser (i'm at work on a 14" monitor in 640x480 *bleh*) but you shouldn't have anything that does that as it can trigger bad things in sensitive people
other than that it looks good; kinda hard to tell on this monitor so i'll have a look later =)
i concur on the side menu, it is constantly blocking information on the site =/