1. No Profile Picture
    http://stealthwd.ca
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Http://saskatoon-web-design.ca/

Hey guys, this is my companies new website. I'm not the designer, but the programmer. Comments on the design are welcome too. Its running on our in house cms. Runs a lot of ajax. Take a look at the JS too and let me know if you see any problems. The cms as a whole has a few kinks to iron out but is coming along nicely.

Doh, seems the name servers for http://saskatoon-web-design.ca/ haven't fully propagated yet so in the mean time you can try http://stealthwd.ca

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees
    Last edited by Dameon51; April 3rd, 2010 at 01:33 AM.
  3. Known to taste like chicken
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

the word portfolio sits a bit too far to the right (css issue probably), other than that it all looks good to me.
    "Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door" - Homer J Simpson / Edgar Allan Poe

Looking for a project Idea?
  5. No Profile Picture

Thats a very nice site, shows what you can do etc.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi,

I found your site quite attractive. A few things I would like to point out, though: your navigation bar is very far down your page, as is where your content starts. Be sure to be aware of browsers operating in a lower screen resolution - make sure all of your most important stuff is "above the fold". Also, have you tied experimenting with a less saturated shade of blue? I found it a bit too bright reading white text on such a background.

A very nice site overall, though. The AJAX page navigation is a nice touch.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I like the rotation of the Earth very nice.
    I also looked at some of your portfolio, very nice indeed.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

I like the Earth animation. But I think the site, while slick, is too much like a "game" site. Generalize the design more.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the feedback everyone, its appreciated. We've been toying with some ideas for changing the design.

While I love the globe, having a persistent flash element like that running all the time combined with ajax can make IE run very slowly. Can't wait for IE 9...... Other browsers seem to be ok.

Our site has actually undergone tons of backend work since I posted it here. Thanks to the page speed option in firebug I've leared tons about bottle necks in web dev.
  15. Contributing User

Just a couple of quick comments before I get back to work.

1. The dominant blue color is nice but I personally don't like the black background. Its somewhat too depressing and doesn't give a cheerful and pleasant look to a web site that actually deals with creating art such as web design.

2. The header is way to big in my opinion. It takes almost half the size of a 768px viewport (I guess because I am using a fullHD resolution )

3. Have you tried using the site with JavaScript disabled? None of the links are working and that is one of the more critical problems that needs to be fixed.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    abstract class Ignorance extends Stupidity implements Unavoidable 
         public static 
    $humiliation

private function 
    __construct(){

parent::__destruct();
         }; 

?>
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by holodoc
    Just a couple of quick comments before I get back to work.

1. The dominant blue color is nice but I personally don't like the black background. Its somewhat too depressing and doesn't give a cheerful and pleasant look to a web site that actually deals with creating art such as web design.

2. The header is way to big in my opinion. It takes almost half the size of a 768px viewport (I guess because I am using a fullHD resolution )

3. Have you tried using the site with JavaScript disabled? None of the links are working and that is one of the more critical problems that needs to be fixed.
    The header i've mentioned to the designers, they aren't going to budge on that. As for the javascript, our cms is well beyond the point of no return to make it work without js. 99% of the population has js these days, and people who don't know they don't.
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Dameon51
    The header i've mentioned to the designers, they aren't going to budge on that. As for the javascript, our cms is well beyond the point of no return to make it work without js. 99% of the population has js these days, and people who don't know they don't.
    Well I don't mean to push it but whats the point of a Content Management System if it can't deliver its content to a fair amount of users using non-standard screen readers etc.? The fact that they "know that they don't have JS" doesn't change anything about their willingness to access the content. In my opinion creating a CMS with no accessibility alternatives is not a good way to go, especially not in case of a CMS

Additionally you do realize that your CMS content is not going to be indexed by search engines because they can't see it, which once again beats the whole point of a CMS.
    Last edited by holodoc; September 2nd, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    abstract class Ignorance extends Stupidity implements Unavoidable 
         public static 
    $humiliation

private function 
    __construct(){

parent::__destruct();
         }; 

?>
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by holodoc
    Well I don't mean to push it but whats the point of a Content Management System if it can't deliver its content to a fair amount of users using non-standard screen readers etc.? The fact that they "know that they don't have JS" doesn't change anything about their willingness to access the content. In my opinion creating a CMS with no accessibility alternatives is not a good way to go, especially not in case of a CMS

Additionally you do realize that your CMS content is not going to be indexed by search engines because they can't see it, which once again beats the whole point of a CMS.
    Actually it is index. There are links in there for google to crawl....

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=h...5a6734ff76adb4

As you can see from this google search, our blog is showing up.
  23. Autodidact

Hi, Dameon51
    1. I have to admit, the generous use of gradients, shadows, and glowing stuff tends to make a site look older than it is, due to the fact that those were very popular conventions a few years back. They're still used today, but not to that degree.

2. I would take out the inline JavaScript and CSS you have peppered throughout.

3. Most people nowadays instinctively click on a Web site's logo to return to the main page. Your site should do that, too.

4. Bug: the highlighted page link does not change focus after clicking the back or forward button. The content changes, but, for example, say I click on Contact, then click on About, then click the back button, the content will display the Contact information, but the highlight in the menu will remain on About. This also happens if you refresh the page; the selected page will render the relevant content, but the link will not be highlighted. [Tested on Firefox 3.6.8]

5. You could make better use of the HTML tags available so that the page is represented more semantically. For example, use lists for menus, use header tags more, like for the headlines, "News," "Twitter," "Blog," etc, on the home page. With CSS disabled the page does not do your content justice; describe the content semantically so it can be better understood by people and computers alike!

6. The site is not search engine friendly. A content management system usually creates friendly links, and should moreover, as holodoc pointed out, not depend on JavaScript to follow links, which is a huge no-no. Without links the Web as we know it could not exist. The anchor tag is the most important tag on the Web. Don't depend on search engines like Google to get smarter about reading JavaScript URLs; it's a big part of a developer's job to make sure their content can be easily accessed, and not something you should delegate in faith to a search engine. By the way, if your site was indexed properly there would be many more pages, which means a higher chance of being found by more general search terms. Here is a small rant of mine from a couple weeks back.

7. Points 5 and 6 form part of the basis for the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), which is a largely neglected set of ideas for Web design:
      Web accessibility means that people with disabilities can use the Web. More specifically, Web accessibility means that people with disabilities can perceive, understand, navigate, and interact with the Web, and that they can contribute to the Web. Web accessibility also benefits others, including older people with changing abilities due to aging.
      Source: http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/accessibility.php

8. Optimization tip: when I'm already on a page, say Portfolio, I can click on the Portfolio link incessantly and an Ajax call will be made for each click. If the page is already loaded, you should cancel the request.

9. Good job making the page valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    Last edited by f_nietzsche; September 3rd, 2010 at 01:41 AM.
    Soldiers, from the height of these pyramids forty centuries look down upon you.
    ▪ Napoleon, on the eve of the Battle of the Pyramids

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo