1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Http://thebetterfestivalgroup.co.uk/

The Better Festival Group

General opinions please...
  3. "That Guy"

Wouldn't you like to know? (To come beat me up maybee)
    Not bad at all, easy on the eyes.

At first glance I liked the menu. Not just the fade effect, but the colors. The menu options, however, looked to flicker. It took me a few glances to figure out it was because the font-color suddenly changed from black to white. It just looks a little weird to the eye, but I liked the fade-in and fade-out effects. The font being bold and italic didn't really look that great to me, though.

I really like the search bar background, and how it fits in with the banner. The font needs a little work though, maybe the padding or margin isn't even - but something looks off.

The content area and notes on the right look great as well. Really easy on the eyes, and nicely divided.

I didn't notice this at first but the text on the banner is a little odd. The title and slogan really need something to distinguish them from each other.

One CSS error came up, with the 'first' element.

Also, when I re-sized to 800x600, it didn't adjust as fluidly as expected - there was a horizontal scroller. Below Home on the menu, 2 vertical blue bars appeared out of nowhere, as well.

Overall looks great, I like it.
  5. guru

Nice looking site... simple and smooth

looks a little templatey.. if that makes sense!

Love the background of the search as well.. looks very cool!

A few suggestions:

1) Drop down menus - Get rid of the italic and bold. Looks out of place with the whole design

2) Do not have it change from Black to white or have those LI fade in. I like the fade in affect on the menu bar but not on the DD items. It gave me a headache!

3) Not sure about the Social networking links at the bottom. When I first saw them i thought the page had stopped loading some of the image (probably just me lol). its not that clear you have to hover over them to see what they are.. would it not be easier making it clearer for users to see them straight away?

4) Pictures... definitely needs some images to liven up the content.

Other then that good work :-)

Ed
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The site is very easy on the eyes. The color scheme is great and it doesn't seem like a burden to view the site.

However, I feel edfollett is correct about the italicized menu items. They do not flow correctly with the rest of the site.

Nic Raboy
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Fails in IE6 (Surprise...)

Any ideas why?
  11. guru

i'm on a mac so can't really help but do you use png images???? i know ie6 is lame and cant handle transparnet pngs.
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  13. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You have a nice eye for design, I like the colors, and layout. One tiny thing I might nitpick is the white boxes on teh right that have the fold-over top corner may look better if the edge where the corner starts to fold over is where the white begins, instead of like 20px to the left of that. I guess, just make it pop out a little more from the background.
  15. Autodidact

Semantic and nearly standards-compliant for the specified DOCTYPE--e.g., target="_blank" is not valid XHTML. Odds are having the link open in a new window is not as important as you think. I'm being pedantic, though. Generally, good job on both those points!

You've made strides to make sure the site is fluid. It's not perfect, but it's more than most sites offer.

Those are the three points I take note of when gauging a developer's attention to detail and dedication to compatibility and usability, which I consider the most important.

Minor points:

1) The navigation dropdown text on hover is no good. Use a contrast color.
    2) The dropdown to the far right is rendered offpage on a regular 1024 wide monitor. I'd modify it to dropdown and render to the left.
    Soldiers, from the height of these pyramids forty centuries look down upon you.
    ▪ Napoleon, on the eve of the Battle of the Pyramids

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo