Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

http://www.2mellow.com

Hey guys!

Here's a little background on the site.. I'm a professional programmer that is completely self taught; using the web as my resource. So basically this is my way to give back to what has given me so much. I also figured I could post some examples of my work to give my users a feel for my experience.

http://www.2mellow.com

please let me know what I can do to better impress my users, as my design skills have dwindled over time.

Cheers,
    Brandon
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

The design is great but it looks unfinished. You need to add rollover images on the tabs, make sure the bottom of the menu bar is there (with the rest of the RSS logo) and maybe make sure that the white content area is clearly defined from the lightly off-white background - add a drop shadow perhaps?

Other than that it looks great, best of luck

Watters
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Wattersisere
    Hi,

The design is great but it looks unfinished. You need to add rollover images on the tabs, make sure the bottom of the menu bar is there (with the rest of the RSS logo) and maybe make sure that the white content area is clearly defined from the lightly off-white background - add a drop shadow perhaps?

Other than that it looks great, best of luck

Watters
    Thanks for you advice,
    Ive added a rollover to my menu, and Im not really sure what you mean about the rss icon? Are you refering the fact that its cut off by the content? because that was intentional
    2Mellow.com Web development blog and scripts.
  7. Contributing User

The top "paper strips" area looks a little too random for my tastes. Also the clean look of the design below the menu doesn't really mesh with the more artistic look you appear to be going for at the top. In chrome part of the RSS feed is cut off, I'm not sure if this was by design or not.

I really like the look of the footer, although the dropshadow below it is a little to strong.

Thanks,
    Minnow
    http://www.minnowwebdesign.com - Web Design for the small business and non-profits.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah it seems as though my header is hit or miss. Some people really like it but some dont. Im thinking ill tweak that tonight, Ill take out some of the tape, and see how that goes.
  11. No Profile Picture

Your homepage is a too long page.

Comments on this post

• Markisdee agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Nice site!

I agree with other comments.

I find there is too much content on one page, footer is a very far scroll down.

The header and content areas do not mesh well for me.
    I like the look of the header but find it to be too wide, would
    like to see some white space to the left and right.

Good job!

Judy
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for the input!
    the home page only contains 1 article now, should be alot less on the home page
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Site Review

Originally Posted by brandon509
    thanks for the input!
    the home page only contains 1 article now, should be alot less on the home page
    Hi

I like your site. I personally think that the header looks quite good however on my computer I can see where the header image ends and the brown background colour continues. Maybe take a look at web friendly "brown" colours for the header.

The rest of the site has a professional feel and I like the footer.

You also might like to know that going into portfolio > web development > displays this:

-removed now

(By the looks of thinks some unfinished php )

Overall though nice site with a solid and reliable feel.
    Last edited by macattack100; March 26th, 2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Removed exposed backend code snip
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thank you that problem is solved. im going to look into a better brown that's strange how its like that.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I quite like the design especially the footer and header.
    Website Design services at competitive prices. Free domain name and hosting for a year, unlimited revisions and SEO included.

Web Design | Logo Design | Banner Design | SEO | Website Maintenance | Ecommerce
  23. No Profile Picture

you did a really good job. The only thing for me was the header image looked cluttered and unfinished with the paper strips and the color scheme kinda made me squint. I think it's because of the light purple? not exacly sure what color that's supposed to be lol.
  25. No Profile Picture

Well I liked the header... it appeals to my design taste.

But perhaps to continue with the theme, have a similar idea runing down the background of the page...

My only issue is with the menu bar, and that the whole button for the page you're currently on turns white. I think it might do better if it were to stay brown, except for a small white triangle at the bottom of the button to act as a sort of arrow...

If that makes any sense at all, lol...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Footer is great ;-) Don't change it. Or have u allready ;-)
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I like the site but it could/should be much better.

When people hit a site, you have some fraction of second to tell them what the site is about and to appeal to them. If they don't find a reason to stay, or get confused, they leave.

I'd like to focus on the messaging of your site. Right up top, you need a sort of: "About Me" or "About this site" .

You successfully perked my interest with:
    As a programmer I work with databases as much as I sleep.
    It says who you are, it suggests sleep deprivation, it's an original comparison, it's funny. You are on track.

But, the next sentence, descends too quickly into details.
    When working with a list or large result set it can be very beneficial to alternate row color and or CSS style.

Instead, I'd suggest having another sentence or so about the site or yourself. To quote you from this thread, why not this as a paragraph up top that is called: "About me and this site"

As a professional programmer I work with databases as much as I sleep.I'm also completely self taught and very grateful to the web as my resource. So this is my form of "pass it on".

Then, elsewhere, you have the content.

Here is a post about the importance of a "tagline" - but in the context of a blog....I'm leaving off the http://www. since I don't think they allow them here. If they do, some moderator should connect the link for everyone's convenience...

/blogwritingcourse.com/learn_to_blog/blog-taglines/

Every blog deserves a good tagline . . . you know, that great line of text that seems to sum up what your blog is about in approximately ten words or less. Often, a tagline is the first thing you really notice when you visit a blog for the first time. Sometimes, it helps us make the choice of whether to stick around and read more, or move on.
    Last edited by johnedelson; June 7th, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
    John, founder:

SpellingCity.com - Best Spelling Website in History
    Time4Learning.com - Online homeschooling
    Time4Writing.com - Writing Tutorials & Courses
    LearningGamesforKids.com - Educational Games
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo