1. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

But my employers won't be using IE6, and it works fine right now actually. Scalable, resizable, works in ie7, 8, chrome, safari, opera, and firefox

Comments on this post

• ChiefWigs1982 disagrees : You really do have a lot to learn... :/
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  3. Cunning Linguist
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I used to live at home, now I stay at the house
    EricReese disagrees: No I don't have a lot to learn. By the time I will go into this field, ie6 wont be used in a
    corporate environment
    Are you taking the piss? IE6 still has about a 20% share of the
    market.

Just because you think your potential employers won't be looking
    at your site in IE6 doesn't mean they won't want or expect your
    code to work in it.

Anyway, who's talking about IE6 specifically - I'm talking about
    attention to detail in general.

And yes, you really do have a lot to learn. It's incredibly naiive
    of you to be thinking otherwise at such a young age.

Comments on this post

• holodoc agrees : IE6 is still an important factor... Unforunatelly :(
    • Richard H agrees : I wish IE6 would crawl away and die, but its not about to. Like the man says about 17% of users according to WC3. A coder worth his salt will debug for it... again, again and again! After all the helpful advice this guy gave I think ur ungrateful.
    • aitken325i agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by EricReese
    But my employers won't be using IE6,...
    A good site should be accessible for all people, browsers and whatever visit your site. This is the recommendation of W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.

Ok, bring IE 6 to work is hard, but you should make it possbile.
  7. Eager to learn

IE6 is steadily losing market share and I won't be going into web development/design for another 4 years or 5 years. I'm only 17 and I still need to do college.
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  9. Eager to learn

Great news guys. I updated my code, and restructed my HTML and did a lot of crossing out on my css. Check it out

www.devwebsites.com

(No search bar on the site yet. Still deciding where to put it)
    (Also, my image at the top is still a different color. Contacting my friend to fix it later)

I took your advice and took great attention to detail down to the pixel. My code does not yet work in IE6 and there is only a few pixels out of place in IE7. I'm starting to really appreciate IE8's improved css2 support. Its starting to display the same as Firefox. At least on my layout, I am sure on more complex layouts then the site won't display the same..
    Last edited by EricReese; March 30th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.

- marnixR
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well that is always good that you are taking the chance to really get in depth with your coding and are somewhat considering the viewers. Though, even if, like you have mentioned before, IE6 will be "obsolete" by the time you are "done with college" does that not mean for the time being you should ignore them? No.

I too am also 17, though like I am typing right now and always do when dealing with my business you would not even think I was of that age. It is always great to learn now, both coding and consideration, before thinking about it 4-5 years down the road when life will be harder.
  13. Cunning Linguist
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I used to live at home, now I stay at the house
    I took your advice and took great attention to detail down to the pixel.
    My code does not yet work in IE6
    a few pixels out of place in IE7

Your menu text jumps down when you hover over it. :/

You should also have some way of showing what the currently
    active tab is - i.e. where in the site the user is.
  15. Eager to learn

Originally Posted by ChiefWigs1982
    Your menu text jumps down when you hover over it. :/

You should also have some way of showing what the currently
    active tab is - i.e. where in the site the user is.
    Yea thats a good idea!

I wanted it to jump down actually lol. Does it look bad?

- marnixR
  17. Eager to learn

Also, does anyone have suggestions on if my tag cloud/search/right container looks fine?

http://www.devwebsites.com

I am having trouble thinking of what to put for main content. Maybe the most recently discovered/uploaded bugs? This site will be a lot like P.I.E except more user friendly, and they can email me their bug from the page instead of opening their email client.

- marnixR
  19. No Profile Picture

Personally, I like the site. Its easy to navigate and nicely layed out.

Some minor fixes I think would be for the right hand nav box. I'd personally go with a round edged nav box with a background color similar to that of your nav gradient. Also, when you click on css articles you lose the nav images.

The right hand nav box also "over crowds" the top nav. you can see what I mean when you hover your mouse over the last two images. So there should be more marginal space between the top nav menu and the RH nav box.

Good job though.
  21. Eager to learn

The folders are there merely so they don't throw a 404 error for search bots. It is because I have yet to edit the index pages to include the images as ../ instead of the regular /images path. I took out the tag cloud, and am taking more css and html out for obvious reasons. This code is at http://www.devwebsites.com/newcode/

I'm not really sure what you mean by overcrowd. Can you post a paint-shopped image of it?

<edit>I also took out the footer because there was no real purpose to it. Only things there was basically the sitemap and I have a different idea in mind for where to put it. Also, I took out tag cloud, but am replacing it with a random bug uploaded on my site
    Last edited by EricReese; April 25th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.

- marnixR
  23. No Profile Picture

No problem. I took a screen capture for you with my mouse hovering over the image so you can see the link border and how the box over-crowds but it wont let me post it. PM your email address and I'll email the image to you.

Also, the height of the page doesnt auto-fit to the screen. When viewing in a higher resolution (higher than 1024) there's alot of dead space there.
  25. Eager to learn

Just upload it to imageshack, then get the URL and do [img]http://whateverimage.com/myimage.gif[ /img] and it will display it here. There is a lot of dead space there because I have yet to design/put in any content Don't worry, I'll get to it. I still have to write down and design how I am going to set things up.

- marnixR
  27. No Profile Picture

Hi Eric,

I just uploaded the image to my site and linked it from there.

http://www.chatxplanet.com/webimage.html

You can see where the image overcrowds by the bluish border on your nav button.

Hope this helps!
  29. Eager to learn

Ok thanks, I'll work on it and update you tonight.

- marnixR

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo