Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The Articles?

You finished the entire site?

What about the articles..?

The first one says blah, and all of the other ones, I get a white screen of death

Comments on this post

• Skipt disagrees
    • ryon420 agrees : [size=24]Eric is a moron.[/size]
  3. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

...did you even bother to read this thread?

Originally Posted by Skipt
    I finished my entire site, except for writing articles, can someone please critique?
    I am very confused as to your logic here

Comments on this post

• Weekend Coder agrees
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

That logic was stored under Constructive Criticism.

Those article links appear to hold the main content & important details about your site. I clicked them expecting to see engaging content to satisfy a viewer, but it goes to absolutely nowhere.

I think it's better to leave a link out than to put a broken one. That said, it brings down your image as a developer.

The logic being, your site isn't finished if the articles aren't.

Do you disagree with that logic?

Comments on this post

• holodoc agrees : I agree that he will disagree about your logic ;)
    • fangore agrees : Watching at how fast your reputation grows makes me happy
  7. Eager to learn

Thanks for that. I had not thought of that. I will rectify (heh, funny word...) that situation asap.
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  9. The Signal:: It's everywhere!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

It is A LOT better than your old site...

That being said, I think you should take out any references to "Web Designer" until you get a better footing on design implementations and practices and keep yourself as a "Developer". Once you start doing more designs and putting those to code, then you can think about adding in the designer element to your resume and about sections.

On the home page, why do your headings have indentations and your paragraphs don't? Looks tacky that way. Get rid of the serif typeface and use a more modern one, no "serifs" aka "Sans-Serif".

The text above your nav, it says "Check out my..." and then the logo which reads "Design Portfolio" and that links to the home page, which isn't even your portfolio. It's misleading.

Articles, get rid of them all until you have something to say. Otherwise, if a user happens to visit your site, then goes back x amount of days/weeks later and its still static, all that shows them is your inability to complete projects.

Give some space between your white content box and the footer, make your footer smaller in height.

More to say but gotta take off
    Check out my Blog site if you want a good laugh, Google travelingwebguy or..
    The Official TravelingWebGuy
    Business site => New Blog Site
  11. Meatball Surgeon

1) remove the hyperlink underline from your Menu options:

2) don't show your your site as you current project. It just looks like i'm staring into two mirrors (and not in a good way)

And as someone who is billing himself as a "web designer", your not doing a single thing on this site that would make me want to hire you for that purpose. Don't get me wrong, its a good, simple web site. But if you are going to go for that title, you should have a lot more flash in the pan.
    Three gigs for the secretaries fair
    Seven gigs for the system source
    Nine gigs for the coders in smoky lairs
    One disk to rule them all, one disk to bind them
    One disk to hold the files, and in the darkness grind'em
    ---------------------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of Java, that my thoughts acquire speed.
    The hand acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning.
    It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.
  13. Eager to learn

Oh don't worry about the flashiness. I am right now coding a really nice design, with some JavaScript and Chrome functionality (you'll see what I am talking about later )

I should have the site done by the end of the day.

- marnixR
  15. The Signal:: It's everywhere!

When we talk about Design dude, we mean the look and feel of the site. Anyone can code given enough time, but designing takes practice, patience, understanding of colors, element implementation, and layout.

At least, that's what I mean when I mentioned you should take out all references to "Web Design".

Comments on this post

• Ebot agrees
  17. Eager to learn

I know. I was talking about design. i truly feel this is the best design I have ever done or seen.

- marnixR
  19. The Signal:: It's everywhere!

Originally Posted by Skipt
    I know. I was talking about design. i truly feel this is the best design I have ever done or seen.
    WOW! You really can't be serious? Best design you have ever seen? Of all the sites on the web?

No offense, but you have a far way to go before you can be considered a designer and all you are doing is discrediting your services if you pass yourself off as such.

Comments on this post

• Skipt disagrees
  21. Eager to learn

It was an exaggeration, and I think you have stepped across the line. Critiquing is one thing, but you are flat out saying I am worthless now.

Comments on this post

• zer0efx disagrees : i can neg rep too
    • Ebot disagrees

- marnixR
  23. The Signal:: It's everywhere!

No.. I'm said exactly what ebot had said, take all references of web designer out..

But as you have shown in the past, your ego is one of the biggest I have seen and you often pass yourself off as something you are not...

I can cross the line because I am a designer and have been for years. If you can't take negative input, get out of the business.

Comments on this post

• holodoc agrees : Better to give you "green" points and show how right you are than giving him "red" points and showing how wrong he is.
    • ChiefWigs1982 agrees : Haha! You're not a "real designer" :D
  25. Eager to learn

How is my ego huge? I have never claimed to be the best in anything. I think you are confusing terms. I think I have more then enough useful feedback from other real designers on here.

I can take negative input, only when the person isn't trying to be an *** about it. You, ma'am, are.

I am closing this thread before any more insults come out of it.

Comments on this post

• ChiefWigs1982 disagrees : Grow up Eric.

- marnixR
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo