September 29th, 2003, 07:47 PM
This is a danish site intended for history students at the University of Southern Denmark, in Odense. The core is a php/mysql based news base with information posted by myself and the secretaries working at the centre for history at the faculty.
Please give me any comments you might have. The site is simple, and I aim to keep it simple, yet provide the relevant information in an efficient way. I consider several changes, to make the appearance a bit more clear and interesting.
Any ideas on how to improve the presentation, organize messages or other content?
October 1st, 2003, 04:09 AM
Get rid of the border in your main table. Further suggestions will follow after these thing are taken consideration of.
October 1st, 2003, 04:29 AM
actually it does look a bit lighter without the border...
-working offline... gonna wait to change the online appearance of the site, since I may want to do something different with the menu's and post-it's too, when I eventually do a facelift.
October 3rd, 2003, 10:29 PM
if i had any complaints it would be the length. you need to chunk your information, or archive old stuff. making a long page adds to the confusion of a web page.
October 5th, 2003, 07:13 AM
well. good luck in your future changes with your website.
October 5th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Cartmill, note taken. I have implemented a new menu system, which will make it much easier to break down into and view subdivisions of individual pages. This is much more userfriendly.
I think I'm gonna let the lengthy news page stay, though, rather than say a number of headlines/title links etc. (or until I find a better solution) -Mostly because of the nature of the information, which is posted on a daily basis by the secretaries. I wanted the info to be upfront, if one checks the page daily. It does have the disadvantage of news items being pushed down on the page, but I think the immediate access to the latest messages at the top is a priority.
October 6th, 2003, 11:35 AM
1. Try to get rid of that horizontal bar. I'm using a 800x600 resolution and IExplorer
2. You can convert your links in your top page to a drop down selection links.
3. You may also use a "customized" counter php script for your webpage.
i think that's all for now. further suggestions will follow after your update. good luck again. ^^
October 6th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Just uploaded the update of the site after a long nights work -pretty satisfied with the main navigation menu now. -also trimmed the code and disintegrated some heavy files into lesser functions, which was very satisfactory to get to work.
Unfortunately, the horizontal bar has to stay as a university design restriction, with the university's logo and blue colors. The green top menu is also a generalized SDU menu linking internally to other SDU ressources, although I have tried to convert it into something else - which didn't work very well, because something felt to be "missing" from the top right. - something needs to balance the logo on the left. -and it has the advantage that similar green imagemap menus exist on other SDU pages, so users know what it is.