#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    10

    Http://www.ramblingonabout****.com/


    I am trying to start a blog and have build the site up from scratch. Any advice on design, usability, accessibility, etc are appreciated.

    And yes, I know W3c Validator produces many errors. They are all ampersand and repeated div errors, which I am not at all worried about.

    Thanks in advance,
    Richard Carson

    edit: the url is partially bleeped out. the url is
    ramblingongaboutshi t.com
    (ignore all spaces)
    Last edited by rscarson; July 17th, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    230
    Originally Posted by rscarson
    I am trying to start a blog and have build the site up from scratch. Any advice on design, usability, accessibility, etc are appreciated.

    And yes, I know W3c Validator produces many errors. They are all ampersand and repeated div errors, which I am not at all worried about.

    Thanks in advance,
    Richard Carson

    edit: the url is partially bleeped out. the url is
    ramblingongaboutshi t.com
    (ignore all spaces)
    If you are going to ask for help. Please provide a link to your work so people can see what you have been doing.
    i tried to find the site but.... :| just post a link.

    Comments on this post

    • rscarson disagrees : the url is already there
    • Arty Ziff agrees
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    10
    I posted the url. I cant put a link because it stars out part of the url.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    230
    My apologies. i may have been a bit drunk when i posted that!

    i suppose the site is an OK idea but what is going to make it stand out in the crowd? I mean no offence but the design is a bit 'basic'. this sort of thing has been done before..

    In my opinion, for something like this to work you would need to start off with lots of content to get people engaged. As it stands the site is a bit underwhelming to a first time visitor like myself.

    HTH.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    10
    ya, I am adding more and more content on a daily basis, I am more looking for information about the design and coding
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    230
    Originally Posted by rscarson
    ya, I am adding more and more content on a daily basis, I am more looking for information about the design and coding
    OK well there is nothing wrong with having a basic design etc IF you can make up for it with content. I like the format of having the full post and comments displayed on the front page. i think for a site like this you would have to put a lot of effort in before you start to see a return.

    What do you mean by looking for information?
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    10
    this is really my first serious attempt at a full site design form scratch, and I would like some advice from people who are experienced at it
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    230
    Originally Posted by rscarson
    this is really my first serious attempt at a full site design form scratch, and I would like some advice from people who are experienced at it
    OK well thumbs up for effort. Did you code it from scratch too? My advice if you are just starting out would be to use some sort of existing free template. This will give you a chance to have a play around and see how everything works as opposed to trying to do something from scratch. There are some good css/xhtml templates available for free here: free css templates

    Let me know what you think.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    10
    yes, I did code it from scratch, but code is what I'm good at
    I have been using css, php and xhtml for a while, but this is my first time with the design portion of a site. Instead of using a template, I decided to build my own, and am simply looking for comments and advice regarding that template.

    Thanks in advance,
    Richard Carson
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    230
    Originally Posted by rscarson
    yes, I did code it from scratch, but code is what I'm good at
    I have been using css, php and xhtml for a while, but this is my first time with the design portion of a site. Instead of using a template, I decided to build my own, and am simply looking for comments and advice regarding that template.

    Thanks in advance,
    Richard Carson
    OK well i am no expert, i generally just use templates and like yourself, concentrate on coding. I wouldn't count myself as qualified to give you advice about designing from scratch. Just have a look around and borrow ideas and elements from other designs.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    230
    Originally Posted by eddie21leeds
    OK well i am no expert, i generally just use templates and like yourself, concentrate on coding. I wouldn't count myself as qualified to give you advice about designing from scratch. Just have a look around and borrow ideas and elements from other designs.
    Thanks.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    230
    ^ sorry ignore that last one.
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Wordpress


    Wordpress is the best CMS if you want develop a new blog.

    Comments on this post

    • rscarson disagrees : read the thread first.
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    10
    Once again, I am NOT looking for suggestions on a CMS. I am looking for comments about the website I linked to.
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    230
    Originally Posted by rscarson
    Once again, I am NOT looking for suggestions on a CMS. I am looking for comments about the website I linked to.
    To be honest you need a lot more content for a start. as i said, going with a basic design is fine but there is nothing there. You need to put a load of content on then analyze the traffic in analytics. If people are staying on the site for a long time then that shows they are finding your content engaging and it tells you that the site is worth pursuing. On the other hand if you put a load of content on and people just come and leave then you need to change something. You could then try tarting the design up or broadening the type of content you post. If that doesnt work then move on.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo