http://www.usdphidelts.com

Web page for my fraternity.

http://www.usdphidelts.com

Let me know what you think... still a work in progress
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

browser firebird 0.6.01

big white space between the bottom column and the footer - it looks wrong.. =)

In our chapter you have the mailing list box twice, also the size doesn't line up with the poll which makes it look a bit odd

same with alumni, resources and rush =)

the big white space is blue in the forums, other than that, fantastic job integrating them...

big big blue space when you click on a date in the calender.. also the jump from the calender to the entry for that date was very surprising, I don't know why.. maybe I expected a pop up, it just shocked me

i like the ability to play music without it starting when you get there, or being forced on you. excellent implementation of an otherwise really annoying feature...

the body/footer alignment appears as i would expect it on the album list page, except for a light blue along each side of the body (up and down) and that the footer is a different color in the center, from the sides (sides are grey, center is black) also the footer in the center is a pixel or two higher than the sides...

on the chapter page, is the shield meant to overlap the photo? it does for me and seems a bit off...

now that i've told you whats wrong in firebird *grins*

i love the site, the layout is extremely easy to navigate, it's easy to get around and you've done an amazing job integrating the various aspects into the same look and feel.

the color scheme is easy to read and it sticks to the main goal of the site; very well done. =)

if you need ss's of the weirdness, let me know.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

browser firebird 0.6.01

big white space between the bottom column and the footer - it looks wrong.. =)

In our chapter you have the mailing list box twice, also the size doesn't line up with the poll which makes it look a bit odd

same with alumni, resources and rush =)
    I have never heard of Firebird.... I realized that my table height size was not set to 100% like the rest... I will need to change that.

the big white space is blue in the forums, other than that, fantastic job integrating them...

big big blue space when you click on a date in the calender.. also the jump from the calender to the entry for that date was very surprising, I don't know why.. maybe I expected a pop up, it just shocked me
    Table height was fixed in there, and I was planning on putting some other info on the dates.

i like the ability to play music without it starting when you get there, or being forced on you. excellent implementation of an otherwise really annoying feature...
    Did the music load for you? It was my first attempt at a Flash/XML combo.

the body/footer alignment appears as i would expect it on the album list page, except for a light blue along each side of the body (up and down) and that the footer is a different color in the center, from the sides (sides are grey, center is black) also the footer in the center is a pixel or two higher than the sides...
    I don't understand this? Can you take a screen shot for me?

on the chapter page, is the shield meant to overlap the photo? it does for me and seems a bit off...
    That was my meger attempt at being creative

now that i've told you whats wrong in firebird *grins*

i love the site, the layout is extremely easy to navigate, it's easy to get around and you've done an amazing job integrating the various aspects into the same look and feel.

the color scheme is easy to read and it sticks to the main goal of the site; very well done. =)

if you need ss's of the weirdness, let me know.
    Thanks, its appreciated. I designed the site to work mainly with IE. What resolution is your screen set as well?

My idea was to have the center table one 800px wide with artsy color matching boxes that are a variable length on each side.

All in all, one of my first major sites I have done from scratch, and it is still a work in progress (not done).

Thanks for your feedback!
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Firebird is the streamlined version of Mozilla.... but then 94% of the market is IE, and most people haven't heard of Mozilla let alone Firebird.

The site is a bit gray, but that's personal choice. The radio and checkbox inputs shouldn't have border:1px black solid; or whatever on them, nor the background color. It doesn't look tidy. Also, if you can, try and get rid of the underlining of the calendar numbers.

Finally, the dark blue rollover on black for the menu options aren't a good idea. Remember that 8% (mostly males too) of the population have vision problems when it comes to color.... now remember that only 6% of people use other than IE... which group are more important...

Other than that... very nice.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Mozilla and its offshoots, Opera and non-windows browsers (safari, konquerer) or growing in popularity. I don't know where you get the 94% from but I think that is getting less; however regardless, you should still code browser independently - imo.

I've attached a screenshot of the chapter page, as it exemplifies most of the layout issues... as you can see the borders don't flow quite correctly and theres gaps between many of the boxes.

you can download firebird - its just an exe, it doesn't even 'install' traditionally, if you want to see yourself.

my resolution is 1280x1024 but the browser window is probably about half that, I rarely run at full screen. =)
    Attached Images
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Lisa!

Yea, I think my problem is just not having the height on one of the tables set to be 100%.

I am trying to think of some other boxes I can use at the bottom of the pages so I can keep the whole.... three box theme.

I noticed that in Mozilla/Netscape/ and now Firebird, that my white table border doesn't show up around each table... odd???

Anything I should remember for coding for cross-browser compatibility?

Thanks for everyones help. Keep the critiques comin.
  13. sardonyx quinx

The presentation of your website looks very nice in Internet Explorer 5.5 and I think you have a keen sense of imagination and skill. ^_^

Since some members already discussed your website in other browsers, I think I'll stop here.

BTW, your source code is kinda clean too. Keep it up.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by sardonyx
    The presentation of your website looks very nice in Internet Explorer 5.5 and I think you have a keen sense of imagination and skill. ^_^

Since some members already discussed your website in other browsers, I think I'll stop here.

BTW, your source code is kinda clean too. Keep it up.
    Thanx...

I am constantly trying to teach myself new things with web design and programming. I'd like to do web development full time when I am done with school.
  17. sardonyx quinx

Good luck! At least you know what you're doing. ^_^

Just keep in touch with this forum and don't leave us behind when you became successful.

Devshed.com forever!
  19. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

94% browser usage is based in the UK. In the US Internet Explorer hasn't got as much of a stranglehold as in the UK, but hell... if over 90% of your target audience inistsed on drinking one type of coffee and you ran a coffee shop, it wouldn't make sense breaking your neck to cater for the obstinate 10%.

Before you ask, I have Firebird, Opera and IE installed, and regularly use all, so I'm contributing to that 10%.
  21. sardonyx quinx

May I know what's the strongpoint of using Firebird - Mozilla? And what's Firebird? Is this right...........

Firebird -- Product of Mozilla
    Mozilla -- Company

Is this right?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

www.mozilla.org

there's mozilla up to 1.5 and firebird which is still in its infancy, really.1

both of these browsers are MUCH faster, and allow for tabbed browsing. they're under public development. with firebird there's no 'routine' install, and no extensions so its not bloatware. you can download extensions that you want, but none are packaged with it. i haven't had any problems with this.

it also conforms to the standards better than ie, atleats from what I read, I don't have a souce to back that up at the moment, but can find one if you want.

and to answer your question - if i ran a coffee shop and wanted it to be successful, yes, i'd cater to that 10%.

if you want the largest possible audience to think your site is well done and professional, which by the way, reflects on your business (or frat in this case) very directly, then you'll make sure that it doesn't look terrible to anyone that can enter. it doesn't have to look perfect; but this is jsut good business practice.

anyway; i do not wish to have an argument with binky about this - if you are so lazy that you do not wish to include every possible visitor, and would rather have your site look like crap to some; then go ahead and code that way. me? i prefer that people visiting get the best look of the site, as I intended - it's so easy, why project a bad image to even 10%?

i'd love to see your back up your statistics with proof, by the way; but i don't expect it.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by lisajill

if you want the largest possible audience to think your site is well done and professional, which by the way, reflects on your business (or frat in this case) very directly, then you'll make sure that it doesn't look terrible to anyone that can enter. it doesn't have to look perfect; but this is jsut good business practice.
    This is exactly what I am trying to strive for, I want the site to work flawlessly regardless of browser and connection speed.

It is a reflection on the sites owner and operator when a visitor comes to the site to see it unfinished or not formatted properly, that is why I posted here before going "public" so I could get different perspectives on the site outside of my IE based world.

Thanks for your feedback.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

*nods* Bwed, I wasn't targetting you in my post -my apologies for being a pain in your post - i should know better by now =/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo