Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wysgui.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0 those are some errors. This doesn't look good for a cms, since a cms has to be coded well (imo). now these are just html errors, so these can be fixed easily if you follow the steps w3c provides you. The cms text was placed ok , but the background just gets too much attention. I simply love the menu. If you want to promote your product, people shouldn't digress to the background. I would go for a softer, less crowdy background. Also, in the login, I would take away the brown rectangles surrounding username & password. Hope this was useful The html errors are something you need to fix. At second: your cms is quite impressive, nice work.
    Thanks, I checked into those errors and evidently it's the jQuery that's the problem. They all occur in that compacted JavaScript. So I made the jQuery module admin-only, so I can benefit from it in the admin panel { nobody else uses it }, and it's valid again! Sorry about that, usually it's valid.

I didn't bother checking all the other pages for content+module errors, but at least the template is all good

Originally Posted by eddie21leeds
    there is some sense in this but the background is a vast improvement. Maybe make the content boxes bigger and space the patterns out a bit. Incidentally, in my browser the centre column is attached to the left nav box but not the right login box, which looks untidy.
    Browsershots.org
    eddie.
    Wow! I should've used BrowserShots a long time ago! There are some terrible examples of "Failing Well" on there. I actually made the request before I took out the JS errors, so I should reload the thing and see if any "WSOD's" went away. I know from experience that JavaScript errors are common culprits for the "White Screen of Death".. It works consistently in IE down until version 4.4!

As for the problem with different browser sizes and screen resolutions, I just went in and fixed the space inconsistency issue. The Nav Bar wasn't adjusting right with the percentages in the CSS, so I reduced the right margin on the links to fix the problem.

One problem remains: When the browser is shrunk to a certain size, the right sidebar gets jammed down under the left sidebar. I use float in CSS to position the sidebars & body together. I use margin for spacing- they're all positioned with percentages. What's making it break off? Or Where's it breaking now?
    Hmm..

I'm going to work on merging in some free templates too, so there will be more to choose from. (<- Thanks to a resource from fangore.) I'm also going to write some documentation and tutorials on managing themes in WysGui. That way there's an easy option for anyone who wants to go custom. It's going to be timely because there's other sites I'm managing too, and I'll be working the weekends of October through Halloween. Plus the "home team" and I are developing some ideas on a premium, user-centric run-off of WysGui. Hopefully all these projects should be ready to come together before the holidays.

Still welcoming criticism,
    Thanks allot for everything so far!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

On a sidenote : The admin panel is quite hard to use.
    I think this is purposed for the web designers/ developpers.
    In the admin panel, i'd advise to use more descriptive images or placing a line of descriptive text as alt of the images.
    Like my post? Rep me !

For the dutch peeps: GamePlay Nation
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by fangore
    On a sidenote : The admin panel is quite hard to use.
    I think this is purposed for the web designers/ developpers.
    In the admin panel, i'd advise to use more descriptive images or placing a line of descriptive text as alt of the images.
    Okay, thanks for that. I got used to the admin panel so I didn't realize it too much.

I like allot of the icons. The ones for the pages, manual editor [Notepad++ icon :P], settings, tree, groups, modules, and themes I like. Eh, I even like the ranks icon as a pyramid. It is possible to change the icons by editing those pages, so nobody's stuck with them.

I think all of the nav icons should be changed.
    - Content (add/edit) should be changed [bigger icons, plus sign & tool overlays]
    - Manage Users should be changed [tools overlay instead of plus sign]
    - Module icons might change a little. [Plus sign overlay for add, and tools overlay for edit/delete]

Also, I'm working on a version that hides all of the advanced stuff off the admin panel. That way people who only use the basics don't have to see all the useless icons like modules, manual editor, ranks, and groups which are needed, but don't apply to them. Everything can always be accessed via the "Site Tree" anyway.
    - The Wise Guy
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i was just looking further and i found a bit of a usability issue. The documentation link takes you to the wiki. Once there, there is no way back which means as a user you get "stuck". I would move it to the bottom of the list, mark it "wiki" or "documentation/wiki" and have it open in a new browser window or provide a link back to the site.
  9. No Profile Picture

simple.. and it look too classy
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo