1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Take A Look Please

The home page is my first attempt at css, as is the site but I tried to make the home page 'liquid' in nature... how can I improve it guys ?

I appreciate any input !!!

I cant post a link ??? geee....

Ill cheat..

inshorepowerboats
    dot
    com

Comments on this post

• Skipt agrees : Welcome to the forum
  3. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Note before reading this post: be glad this isn't a design critique..

I have a couple of issues with it...

1. Your CSS is valid, but your HTML's is not
    2. You have a negative z-index value and that is not supported by any browser, as far as I am aware, except FF3.
    3. You are using a lot of px values instead of %'s for the layout of the site
    4. Not enough source code to critique, expand the site more

Meh
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

This should go in the Website Critique forums.
    I'm not exactly all too pleased with the 682kb background image though.
  7. Eager to learn

I agree (edit) about the image part. I think that since this is a critique solely on CSS that it should stay here (end of edit). [EDIT NUMBER 2]oh your right, this should belong in the website critiques. I thought he asked for critique of CSS. Misread it. My bad[/edit]

I forgot to mention how slow the page loads, The screen downloads the image slowly like on those dial up commercials where it loads a page. I just assumed at first it was my connection because I was eating scooby doo fruit snacks and I was distracted by Shaggy

Also, if a person clicks anywhere on the page BUT the links/highlighting text, the image is highlighted and is impossible to click away. There was a sitepoint quiz like this the other day. I would recommend putting that image at the end of the HTML and put another div or you can make that image a background image using the syntax

background: url(image_path.jpg) no-repeat scroll 0 0;

You could just do taht on the body element and not waste space by creating a div for that purpose
    Last edited by EricReese; April 14th, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  9. No Profile Picture

Eric

HaHa... yea its plain but i sell boats to the gen public....and had to builkd a site fast (long story)

anyway - its my first attempt at a site in a LONG time..

If I do the image as a background - I can make it 'resize' like it is now ?? I didnt think you could do that with css .. ???
  11. No Profile Picture

I replaced image file with a much smaller (optimized) one - thanks guys...

now.. let me look at this z thing...

geee... they moved my post from CSS....

I wqas only trying to get help with the CSS on the home page...

I cant reply

I asked in my origina;l post how I could improve the pagfe and it was my first CSS... I guess I shoulda been more specific... Guys / moderators, I wasnt trying to break rules etc...just looking for honest to goodness help because i knew the page had issues in the css code across browsers...
  13. Eager to learn

Yes your right, you can't do that with CSS. I just assumed it was that big.
    The home page is my first attempt at css, as is the site but I tried to make the home page 'liquid' in nature... how can I improve it guys ?
    You didn't mention/ask any CSS problem You asked for a design critique more or less.

- marnixR
  15. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, eightwgt.

The dimensions of my browser make that paragraph of text stick off the bottom of that image. I recommend you set a background color on body to address that.

Negative values for z-index aren't handled consistently cross-browser. For example, they work differently in Firefox 1.x-2.x, in such a way that the image is invisible (it's hiding behind body's background). Use a positive z-index instead and give the elements you want to show on top of it position:relative to make them stack on top of it.

As Eric also mentioned, you've got a few XHTML errors there.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  17. No Profile Picture

definitely get rid of the background image. Its tacky, makes any text difficult to read and causes uncessary drag on page load.

The whole page needs to be redone with navigation columns, an attractive header showing off your logo with some actual text to let users know what you're all about.
  19. No Profile Picture

Loading time is still an issue... and the navigation is somewhat unclear...

Nice and simple though

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo