1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Please review this mail system template and tell me your opinion!

Hi All

I am working on a new mail system for a Univeristy in Boston, and I was hoping to get some input on a template I made that I am going to use for the mail system! The page in this example, is the welcome page seen after login if they have this set in their control panel! I just put some stuff in the template so you could see what it might look like! But it will not always be filled with just weather and login information, as the user can select what to show on the page! It's only on my home computer so it may not load ultra fast!

Please tell me what you like or don't like and if you don't like something, tell me how you might change it to make it better!

http://www.ya-right.com/welcome.html

Thanks as always!

Sonia
  3. Big Daddy
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Honestly?

Well, it's for a University, right?

Ok, lemme say this (as a recent college grad). Yahoo! and Google make up about 99.9% of the online tools used by college kids...

Design it similarly to Yahoo! mail and you will have something the kiddies will love, I think...

Hope that helps.

Chris

PS. I'm in Boston, too. Which U?
    Pop, pop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

That's a pretty cool design actually. You know what would make it look better? Stronger, more unisex colors. It's kinda leaning more on the feminine side a bit, just a bit. It could also use some strong headers for each topic. For instance, the Login History box, and the other topic headers, would probably look cool with a darker color, thus making it stand out more. If you do this, you might wanna try darking the Mail Folders part in the top left section too, thus staying consistent with the darkened headers. This would most likely keep everything in balance.

I really like the design...it's really frickin' tight...nice and snug. And it flows, which can't be said for most sites out and about.

Good luck.
    Last edited by JHouse; October 25th, 2003 at 11:08 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Attached is kinda a rough draft of what I was talking about.
    Attached Images
  9. Big Daddy
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

LOL, "Go Knibb High"... Anyway... Better, but a bit too bright I think. The blues are good. I'd change the yellows to something darker... Look at the Denver Broncos... Orange tends to go well when opposing blue. God, I sound like my wife when picking out kids' clothes!

Try that...

Chris
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi cjwsb

Thanks for the input, I am really trying to find a way to make it nice and user friendly, and fun to use! I did show them the first design and they liked it but now I went and changed it to the new one, you can see it in the link above! They really want this design because they want it to be professional and cool at the same time!

Please tell me what you think about this one, they like it more the way it is now, but I think there is to much of one color!

TIA

F!
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi JHouse

Thanks for taking a look at it, you are right it did need something the way it was, I changed to give it a more streamline look, I think it better this way, but then again, I have a very bad habit of turning something that looks ok to something that looks worse! They do like this one more, but it just seems that it is still missing something that I can't see or feel!

Thanks your time is very appreciated!

F!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I really like it! Although I have come across a flaw. you see when theres a popup... my window is well.. not maximized. although when i do maximize the window, two things do not allign correctly. Both [Size] boxes under the "Messaging Hystory" table and the text on the side of it "185.02KB" don't allign.

aside from the glitch... i want to give you an idea on what i think would be best... differernt colors.... try something like okay you got your [TITLE BOX] and then you got your sub boxes...
    [Subbox1] Hello mail 1
    [Subbox2] Hello mail 2

How about changing the sub boxes into another color? a nice orange or red perhaps? Just simply an Idea, although just having 1 color is not in my opinion hmmm.... i cant think up of a word but lets just say it doesnt fully stand out and appeal. as they all say, a bright neon green piece of paper will stand out from the plain white paper. but hey, just suggestion
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You are very welcome Fataqui!

Good lucks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo