Thread: Tourism Website

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Tourism Website

Hello People,

I am redesigning my websites and need them to look completly professional, which is a change from where we are now. I have tryed using contractors to come up with a design but i did not like it, so I have done one my self.

This is the current site www.malia.co.uk

this is new design http://www.greecemonkey.co.uk/testmenu_final/tedd-index.asp

I really do struggle with the design of website, any input would be greatly appreaciated.

Graham
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It doesn't validate (65 errors) against http://validator.w3.org
  5. guru
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

hi,

in my honest opinion i prefer the current one on www.malia.co.uk to the new one.

the new site issues:

1) The site doesnt validate
    2) The telephone number at the top appears both in the white area and over the orange background outside of the bounds of the content. which doesntreally look right!
    3) Top navigation (About Our profiles etc) .. this is extreemly close to 'The complete guide to Malia...' there needs to be more spacing there and definitely a font change or something

4) The pictures that automatically change.. the quality of these are not great. the crispness of the slogan on each is poor and needs sharpening. plus they all looked stretched which ruins the pic i think.

5) Font. It looks very basic and suggest using a different font family. try something like
    font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans", Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif;

i think that would look quite nice.

6) Navigation: The drop down menus do not go over the automatically changing image so I cannot access any of the drop downs from nightlige -> about malia

What i would change if i were to do it:
    -------------------------------------

These are just suggestions and ideas.

1) Change the background of the main content area from solid white to use a semi-transparent white png image something in the region of 80% opacity so you can see your orange background through. That would give your site the popular glassy them nowerdays rather then the blocky look you have.

2) Navigation - Add a gradient to the main anvigation bar so its not just this solid blue colour. just a slight gradient just to add some level of depth. The same applies to the menu's that appear when you hover over them.

3) Background image: you could always have multiple pictures that are randomly displayed in the background of the site of Malia. If you go to statravel.co.uk they rotate the background image and incorporate it as part of the design which looks very professional but very different.

4) Add a forum section etc. You could be missing out on a simple addition to your site giving them reason to come back.

5) Target Market - based on your new site I'm guessing you are catering for Malia and crete party people rather then the whole market as it seems more geared up for that?

Tell you what if you fancy it I'll send you through a few design ideas / mock ups as food for thought for you! pm if you are.

Ed

Comments on this post

• franky_matrix agrees
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  7. No Profile Picture

I like the look and feel! very nice...

Just a little too busy on the text end for me though
  9. No Profile Picture

nice
  11. No Profile Picture

yes

nice layout.. i ike this one
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

greecemonkey.co.uk

i like this design better it looks more professional.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not feeling the blue background. It is very hard on the eyes. Also, various text are overlapping each other, looks very un-professional.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hello,
    good website...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo