1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wordpress or joomla - which is better?

Hello all,

As the title suggest this is a simple question really. Which of the two is better, wordpress or joomla?

We're a small-to-medium charity with approx 4000 members. I continue to look on-line for more info, but welcome your help on this matter.

Apologies if this is not the correct forum for such as question. If this is the case, please feel free to delete this question.

Kind regards
    MG
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

WordPress is good for blogs and simple informational sites. It does not scale well for more complicated sites compared to other frameworks.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Wordpress is increasingly being used for full scale, complex sites and not just blogs. The learning curve is easier than Joomla in my opinion and the overall look and feel of the sites are more pleasant, IMO.

If you know what you are doing with Wordpress or are willing to dive in to it you can create some pretty spectacular sites.

We've used it for business sites, e-commerce sites and even a music group's Web site. It's very scalable.
  7. No Profile Picture

Both have their importance. Joomla is more customizable as compare to wordpress but with more option it is more complicated to wordpress, which is simpler and easier in my opinion.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello all,

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it.

Since posting the question I've been on many sites which have compared the two options, and, reading between the lines, they say it's horses for courses.

As we currently use joomla, i think its probably best to stick with it. A redesign of the site is probably in order.

Thanks once again.

Regards
    MG
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by mind_grapes
    Hello all,

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it.

Since posting the question I've been on many sites which have compared the two options, and, reading between the lines, they say it's horses for courses.

As we currently use joomla, i think its probably best to stick with it. A redesign of the site is probably in order.

Thanks once again.

Regards
    MG
    Beware, let me tell you that, even if Joomla is solid, many, and really many plugins are open to vast vulnerabilities. Just check out google for "joomla exploits" and you'll see that 99% of them are plugin-fault based.

So, keep an eye while making your re-design.

Regards!
    Mauro Eldritch - From the fields of the nephilim...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Zebrathemes.com is committed to provide high quality free WordPress themes to web com

Hi ........... .Wordpress is the best..........and as u r planning to put your organisation online for a right cause.....so i have a website which provides free WordPress Themes........why dont you try it....i will give you my url after the reply from your end....
  15. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

As with anything, it depends what you need it for.

Wordpress is great for the simple stuff, but often gets hacked.
    Joomla is more complicated, but is more flexible...and doesn't get hacked quite so much
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by MauroEldritch
    Beware, let me tell you that, even if Joomla is solid, many, and really many plugins are open to vast vulnerabilities. Just check out google for "joomla exploits" and you'll see that 99% of them are plugin-fault based.

So, keep an eye while making your re-design.

Regards!
    Well stated
    It is for that reason one should have the latest updates installed for a plugin that you use for your website. And the extensions that you don't use and have been deactivated, must be removed. In majority it is such plugins that act as backdoors for hackers which they try to exploit.

At the same time ensure that your web hosting provider has set the right rules to restrict intrusions. This should help you avoid any hassles in the future.
  19. No Profile Picture

WP is good for basic blogs. It does not allow you to have a great deal of robust functionality. If you need it to do some awesome stuff, go with Joomla. There are many extensions to help your site grow.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo