1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

www.distantearlymorning.com - can we do this one last time? sorry /cringe

i redid my site (karsh please forgive me for wasting your time, i did not realize i'd redo it...) and would love to hear what everyone thinks of it

it's a personal site, it has no function other than to make me happy and hopefully to entertain and amuse my friends and maybe some random strangers

would love to hear peoples critiques and suggestions

thank you (again)

Lisa
    distant, early morning

Comments on this post

• JimmyGosling agrees
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Overall, the site looks good, I like the new format much better.
    Few things:
    1. The content column overlaps the top landscape picture.
    2. The side menu has too much empty space on the right.
    3. The strikethrough for visited links looks kinda funny (I think), I'd prefer just having the text a different color.
    4. The "sign guestbook" link moves to 2 rows on mouseover, and it really doesn't need to, its distracting.
    5. Your chat is down (not your fault)
    6. The map for guest locations is cool, but when I try to post, I get "Line 68: Error, could not get cursor property, Invalid argument"
    7. The side menu extends a bit too far down past the main column.

These are all pretty little issues though, and overall its a very nice looking site.
    Attached Images
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cool

the content column is meant to overlap, due to its transparency (which only works in IE but i'm working on getting to go in moz / opera) - do you think that looks dumb?

the chat is down because its to chat with me, if i'm there and have the console open it automatically goes green

the guestmap is under bravenets control, not mine; butif its erroring out for some people i'll ditch it, i'm not a fan of bravenet anyhow but couldn't find something like that, that i could host - and i have 0 programming skills

*boggle* the content sidebar is totally aligned right, on none of the browsers i tested with did it have that big blank space, just goes to show why its good to get many people to look; but i dunno how to fix it when none of mine show it so i can't test it... do you think it could be the padding setting doing that? I think it'sonly set to 2 or so butI'm at work atm so i can't check...

yea, i added as little as i felt was possible to that navigation column and it still extends too darn far... i may put some links side by side to counter it, or move some stuff around, not sure what i want to do to fix that, but i want all that stuff visible, y'know? any ideas?

the sign guestbook shouldn't move at all, the only thing thats changing is the background and color properties, and it doesn't do that for me hehe, i suspect that'll fix with the proper width for that column, too... i hope

hrm, i have browsercam, i think i'll take a screenshot; one of those has to have the issues in your screenshot; that way i can fix it and test =)

thank you so much karsh; again =)
    Last edited by lisajill; August 28th, 2003 at 08:43 AM.
  7. Just another guy

Sounds like you have everything well in hand. I do think that you should move the content down though, it looks strange overlapping like that. Maybe move the side menu up a bit, and the content down a bit, so that they line up and are below the picture.
    thank you so much karsh; again =)
    Glad to help. Don't worry about wasting my time, either. I don't do anything at work, and this helps me while away the hours
  9. Contributing User

I would change where it says "distant, early morning" to white. Its to hard to read as it is.

Comments on this post

• JimmyGosling agrees
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yea i've had other complaints about that, i may move it over a little bit or bold it or something, but white would be almost too much, i think.. i'll have to play around with it

i fixed most of it, the width on the right column i still have yet to hack at but i think i've corrected the lenght issue, i made a footer to help it out hehe

thanks everyone =)

Lisa
    distant, early morning
  13. Contributing User

15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i changed it, its an offwhite i guess, beige? hehe

anyhow, it's still in the same type of shading just brighter, i think its a lot more visible...

whatchya reckon?

if that's ok then, other than fixing the column width this weekend if i cn figure it out, i think the site is 'done', i'm very happy with it now atleast..

thank you everyone for your help!
  17. Just another guy

Looks great. And now that I'm on Moz Firebird, the column is the right width too, but its still too wide on IE 5.0 sp2.
    Nice site!
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

karsh, is that ie 5 on mac or pc?

and thank you =)
  21. Just another guy

PC.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo