1. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Www.michaelrich.co.cc

Hi

Designing a website to do with computer games, I've recently switched host so the backend's down but some of the PHP works.

I'm not actually expecting to profit from the site, I just wanna show what I can do, that's where the big banner at the top saying "Portfolio" comes into play.

I'd like to get some feedback on the look and feel of the website. There's a lot of unsightly white gaps and I'm not to sure what to put in those gaps, suggestions?

oh... oh... the past designs looked like this, so if you think it looks bad now ...

http://www.michaelrich.co.cc/
    Last edited by The_Coder; July 26th, 2010 at 01:48 AM.
  3. A94528C464D168DC82FE4933E9DF37

Talking

Pardon my critical view on this, but I really just have to say that at least from a design point-of-view, the look and feel seems like it is very "canned".

I like the use of semi-transparency to add depth, i love the micro-stripe background and everything, but honestly if I were some random person who came across your website, I would have no idea what the website is about until I start reading the content. And I fully support the idea of building websites from the content-up, but I really think you need to restructure the design or at least do something to make it look like its about games, just to ensure a sense of coherence between the design and the content.

Additionally, if you mean to use this as a portfolio of some sort, it might be best to design your website to look as meaningful as the work you have in your portfolio (since after all, your portfolio itself becomes a piece in your portfolio, if you track what I'm saying). So having a portfolio that is engaging, personable, and just screams "you" is a good route to go. So if your work is mostly professional-traditional: make a professional-traditional portfolio, if your work is abnormal-crazy: make an abnormal-crazy portfolio (or conversely use a minimal portfolio to emphasize the abnormal-craziness of your work).

Also as a side note: I am a big fan of using Georgia for content, so props on your typographical decision!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by jalucas
    Hello, thanks for the critque and I do agree; you basically said what I was thinking about it myself haha!

Yes, the design is canned if that means cramped?

Kind Regards
    Last edited by The_Coder; August 7th, 2010 at 10:47 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo