December 3rd, 2003, 06:39 PM
First, my appologies, but I did not use the validator, it had a hissy because the site doesn't have a DOCTYPE, and I couldn't figure out what a DOCTYPE really is...
Additionally, the site is not "live" yet, but the structure is there, most changes will probably be minor tweeks... the execption is the comment option, which another staff member might redo in perl (purl?).
A site that acquaints the public with Oregon's Board of Forestry, that allows the public access to the Board's Plan and Goals, that provides access to forestry issues, provides a link between the public and non-harvest related forest use, and allows the public to provide ideas and thoughts to the Board.
The site must be "low tech", due to budget cuts we don't have a webmaster, therefore all maintence and addition will be done by those who HTML experience is limited - no complicated parts.
Too busy? Navigation makes sense? Was anything buggy? Did a specific browser or screen size cause problems? Did anything confuse you?
Thank you for your feedback!
December 4th, 2003, 04:11 PM
You might try changing to a sans serif font. Still checking out site.
December 4th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Took me a sec on that one. I was looking for a "Sans Serif" font, but it looks like its a variation of different fonts. I have a couple of test pages setup that I'm asking people in the office about.
I'm leaning towards keeping it the same, because there is going to be a high webmaster turnover (about once a year), and maintaining the site will be at best a secondary concern for whoever takes over.
Thank you for the input!
December 4th, 2003, 04:52 PM
It looks neat. A few suggestions:
1. Not sure why you have 2 menus, one on the top and one on the left hand side. And one of them is a duplicate ( comment & comment to the board) . I guess you should do away with one. Somehow, one horizontal and one vertical doesn't seem too easy. May be both horizontal ( top and bottom or left and right ) would be a little easy. or may be it's just me
2. The Oregon emblem in the top-left could link to home.
3. The brown bar at the bottom looks a little detached from the green bar in other places.
4. One more, probably a site map would help.
Last edited by kirants; December 4th, 2003 at 04:56 PM.
December 4th, 2003, 04:59 PM
1) The idea was to have a few fundemntal links of interest on the top, then use the left to get to the meat and potatos of the site, thought I hadn't noticed the double comments (talk about looking at something too long ;p)
2) The emblem is actually the Department's logo, not the board's, the top just looks bad without it... I'm open to sugguestions, I've been trying to figure out what to do there for a while.
3) You didn't like the tree theme that went on (brown trunk, green leaves) ;p Again, another part I've had questions on, though the feedback from the office has been good.
December 4th, 2003, 05:30 PM
What I mean is, instead of having the image simply put there, you could have a hyperlink on that to link to the main home page.
Somehow, I feel the lower part doesn't blend with the green above. Maybe, it is because it is abrupt change.