Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My new webdesign company - small business focused

I'm starting a home based, part time, web design company. I'm targeting small business and non-profits. Please take a look and let me know if you think the site is right to attract this audience. http://www.minnowwebdesign.com/index.php

Thanks,
    Minnow
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

make sure you check your spelling, (i am terrible for it myself) as you have spelt google analytics incorrectly in the right hand menu... hth
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Minnow
    I'm starting a home based, part time, web design company. I'm targeting small business and non-profits. Please take a look and let me know if you think the site is right to attract this audience. http://www.minnowwebdesign.com/index.php

Thanks,
    Minnow
    Your picture on your site is streched and makes you look fat. As opposed to your avatar which looks fine. Looks cool thought, I like the for small fishes in a big sea.
    Words must be weighed, not counted.
  7. Meatball Surgeon
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I would say remove the picture of yourself along with the two other "mirror" images you have up there and come up with something that doesn't look your site came from a tempalte.

I'd also say your colors are kind of drab; i would lighten them a bit.
    Three gigs for the secretaries fair
    Seven gigs for the system source
    Nine gigs for the coders in smoky lairs
    One disk to rule them all, one disk to bind them
    One disk to hold the files, and in the darkness grind'em
    ---------------------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of Java, that my thoughts acquire speed.
    The hand acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning.
    It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You might reconsider your pricing structure.

Counter-intuitive as it may sound, I think that less cost is not always better for attracting business. I saw that your charge for editing content (presumably html or server side scripting) is $30 per hour. If I were in the market for web design work for my company and saw that, I'd probably skip it, thinking that it was amateur hour.

It's one thing to charge friends rates like that, or have it spread through word of mouth. But, the going, market rate for competent development work is a lot more than $30 per hour. In my estimation, the way to make offerings on the cheap is not to devalue your own labor, but to create a portfolio of templates and offer fixed prices for them. Then, perhaps create a list of modifications but, again, with fixed prices. I'd then list customization as "case by case based on requirements" in your pricing structure.

Just my two cents.
  11. No Profile Picture

I dont mean to be rude,

But for a service that is dedicated to designing or developing websites and possibly hosting? websites its not very creative.

Although the professionalism you demonstrate through the simplicity and usability - it isn't quite convincing as a consumer to see no "creative flare" to a site dedicated to developing a design.

It would be a little different if you had more examples in your portfolio demonstrating your ability to adapt to different design styles and requests from clients.

Or perhaps if your site was more of a web-application then clients may understand that you develop simple user interfaces for functionality purposes.

What is a real turn off though is the fact that your pricing page seems to lean more heavily on selling a hosting package which most people would not consider purchasing.

As a client looking for a designer, I'm not looking for this extra "fluffy" stuff that it looks like I may possibly be paying for. For $12/month I could get seemingly better hosting at liquidweb for instance.

When people come looking for designs or a web-developer advertise a web-developer only. Do not advertise a web developer then make it seem like your selling them a web-hosting service.

If your trying to sell hosting services, try putting a link to a seperate page with pricing for hosting-only.
  13. Contributing User

Thanks to everybody that responded, I can tell you really took some time to take a look and give constructive feed back.

I changed "google analytics" to be spelled correctly now. Although I'm now going to lose the coveted number spot in google if you search on "google anyltics"

I haven't done the final version yet, but I am definitely going to change the pictures at the top of the site, I never really liked them, but I liked the site even less without them.

I also plan on removing the hosting from the pricing page and putting it on its own page.

I've thought a lot about the pricing, and I think it may be a little low too. I'm shooting more for companies that don't even have an Online presence right now and trying to get them a basic professional look. So I think I need to charge less then a full fledged design company that makes a site that really stands out, but I agree I don't want to be too cheap either. I'm definitely going to move my prices up as I get more of a portfolio, at this point I'm not sure if it is best to leave them and get another 2-3 clients first, or move the prices up now. Any additional advice would be great.

Thanks,
    Minnow
    http://www.minnowwebdesign.com - Web Design for the small business and non-profits.
  15. No Profile Picture

I think it looks clean. Maybe add a screenshot of a website above your right column. So it doesn't look to plain. And $250 is too cheap. I charge my friends $350-$450.

Comments on this post

• Minnow agrees
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

dont know if this is across all browsers but the content in the whitecontent area (especially on the pricing page) does'nt fit and results in scroll bars both vertically and horizontally. the vertical one i suppouse isn't a problem but the horizontal one looks IMHO untity. if i were you i would get rid of both.

Comments on this post

• Minnow agrees : Thanks, I've cleaned that up now.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Comes across nice and simple, easy to use also.
    Website Design services at competitive prices. Free domain name and hosting for a year, unlimited revisions and SEO included.

Web Design | Logo Design | Banner Design | SEO | Website Maintenance | Ecommerce
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your footer/copyright text is in a different font to the rest of your site, I'd change that.

Also I agree with all the comments about pricing. You have to be careful not to go too high or too low. Most sites don't say how much they charge and I think this is often a negative. One way of getting around this is to do the costings per hour, that way the customer might think that they are getting a good deal / not know / getting ripped off depending on where else they have looked, but at least they have a figure in their head.

Best of
  23. Contributing User

I think the top main header needs more work and the rollover effect on the sunset image shouldn't even be there also the picture looks very stretched out. Don't really dig the background.
  25. No Profile Picture

Internet onlne home job pakistan

Earn thousands per month by doing easy online work (data entry and ad posting) / business from home via makemoney pk . Registration is 100% free, 100% money guarantee. Join makemoney pk and earn good money while working from home. Here are some of the benefits of makemoney pk 1- Work from anywhere (home, internet café, office) 2- No time limits, do work when you want 3- Be your own boss 4- Earn as much as you want 5- Get your income guaranteed. 6- Its 100% free.

Regards,
    Muhammad Aamir Mehboob-8332
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm properly going to get a load of abuse for this and im sorry for sounding rude but the design is not great, it doesnt validate and as far as I can see no SEO.

Usually a person whould have experience in a web design company before starting a business in it, and they should reinforce validation, onsite seo.

maybe im wrong and you do have the background, I bet your main skills lie in server-side.
  29. I fail at spelling
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I'm going to be Debbie downer here and point out a few things.

If you look at a site like: http://themeforest.net/category/site-templates yours just doesn't stack up IMO. It's very plain and if you are looking to get small town business then it might work but if you are looking to compete on more of the national level it's just not going to cut it.

The pricing at the top is way too high, put something like $10 a month or something to entice them. I looked and when "less than $400? haha, yeah." But I'm in the industry and it's what I do on a daily basis. I know that $400 is low, and very low. But someone that comes to your site wouldn't know that.

The top horizon then when you roll over is just plain text in black. I can't read that, maybe it's my screen but I can't read what it says easily.

includes/myiehacks.css = Name that to something else. Search Engines will not be thrilled you named it myiehacks.

Pricing - You need to have it in an actual table. Put a tooltip on the far left boxes to describe what this is and what it does. Remember the average person you are trying to reel in here (pun intended) isn't going to know what the difference between Design and Base Services. Make it easy for the user to find information about you in that regard. Describe spell out what a base service is, and have a check mark in each row for it.

FAQ - could use a toggle from jQuery in there so it has a <h2> tag that shows what the question was then when clicked it uses .toggle to roll it down so the user can see it. Just throw some glitz to it.

Contact Us - Validation check as the form is being submitted. Not as it was posted. You could do this easily by sending the variable values back through AJAX then check them and if they fail then stop the browser from submitting. Unless you are sure your users will never have to enter their information again, don't risk it.

You are off to a good start, just need to polish up and break from your typical mold as I look through your portfolio. Challenge yourself to come up with something innovative and borrow things from themeforest and other places that have the latest out there in innovative design. Then come up with your own.
    I am working now with Symfony2, Twig, Doctrine, Composer, Assetic, and HTML5. Enjoying doing what I do everyday!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo