Revamped my company site.

Simple Computer Solutions

Any critiques? (Be nice)
    I'll learn this stuff someday.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The site is nice and simple! Good work. A few suggestions:

The on-over menu at the top, the highlight in my opinion, should be a little darker... it took me sometime to realize its presence but it is nice!

The website design... I don't find the banner scroll attractive (scrolling through portfolios)... maybe a product scroll bar like look better? That's personal preferences though
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ahk2chan
    The site is nice and simple! Good work. A few suggestions:

The on-over menu at the top, the highlight in my opinion, should be a little darker... it took me sometime to realize its presence but it is nice!

The website design... I don't find the banner scroll attractive (scrolling through portfolios)... maybe a product scroll bar like look better? That's personal preferences though
    Thanks.

I'm not to thrilled with the scrolling portfolio either. I'm looking in to alternatives.

Out of curiosity, did you check out the style changer in the upper right? I'm wondering if I need to label that as a style changer or if it's pretty obvious that it changes the colors.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Nice clean design. I liked the portfolio it was different and cool, did take a bit to work out that I needed to scroll, I thought the arrows were a design element not an interaction

To answer your question about the style changer.. I noticed it, however didn't investigate to see if it was interactive, again thought it was a design element.

After I read the post above, and did take a look at how it functions, I wasn't overally impressed by the change in colour as I only noticed a change in heading colour? Is that right?

I would also question the need for it at all? Not meaning to be harsh or overaly critical, what benefit is it to the user of the site? For instance:

You could run a high-res, multi colour palette for all majority of your users, However a visually impaired user may prefer to drop that design opting for a high-contrast minimalist view.

Thinking marketing it as an additonal service to clients.. ie "Want your website to cater and be flixible for your clients?" See how our technology can make that happen..

See where Im going with this?

Otherwise nice design,
  9. Contributing User

I like the site. I think that it looks good. The only thing maybe is to make it more obvious what the focus of the website is. Also for your computer services you don't really list anything that makes you sound qualified.

Thanks,
    Minnow
    http://www.minnowwebdesign.com - Web Design for the small business and non-profits.
  11. They're coming to take me away

Nice design. My thoughts are as follows:

1) The color changer - I wouldn't have known what it was for had I not clicked on it and had you not mentioned it in the previous post.

2) As mentioned by others, I also don't care for the way the portfolio is set up.

3) On the contacts page, only one person listed, saying he is the chief designer, etc. Just by seeing that, i'm guessing it's a one-man show since no one else is listed. There's no problem with that, but why point out that it's a one-man show? I also run a computer company, but everyone thinks I have a bunch of designers, technicians, etc because of how I promote the business.... this in addition to having been in town and established for about 5 years. If you want others to know it's a one-man show, then it's fine... otherwise maybe something like:
    All of our technicians have been working in the computer technology field for over 14 years. They all possess a B.A. in Information Technology.....
    etc.. you get the picture.

You could also go another route in mention that the one person listed is the owner... in which case, you don't necessarily need to mention other employees (or contractors)...

4) Your computer services for networking and home media seem limited. For repairs and upgrades, you mention "not limited to" which is good... you want to make sure people understand that you are not limited in what you are offering... unless of course, that really is all you offer.

If those were all the categories you could think of, put a note somewhere saying that if someone doesn't see something listed as a service, to send you guys a note, etc.

5) In 800x600 in FF3 anyways, the right-side isn't lined up.... seems the top portion of the site will shrink farther than the bottom portion.

6) In IE6, the logo and the big header don't change colors like in FF.

Comments on this post

• Minnow agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by hiker
    5) In 800x600 in FF3 anyways, the right-side isn't lined up.... seems the top portion of the site will shrink farther than the bottom portion.

6) In IE6, the logo and the big header don't change colors like in FF.
    I'll have to check out the 800x600 issue. That's very strange.

The style sheet changer works fine for me in IE6. That's very odd.
  15. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Shiner_Man
    I'll have to check out the 800x600 issue. That's very strange.
    I'm not actually using 800x600, but rather the window resizer extension for Firefox. I've attached an image (image1.jpg) of what I see... as you can tell from the top portion, it goes in further than the bottom. I've shrunk the screen even smaller, and the top portion goes quite a bit in...

The style sheet changer works fine for me in IE6. That's very odd.
    I've attached an image (image2.jpg) of what I see within IE6
    Attached Images

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo