1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Website Review: www.pickbrains.com

It would be greatly appreciated if you could review my site (http://www.pickbrains.com). My main focus at the moment is the ability for members to submit articles (http://www.pickbrains.com/members/edit-article). Although I know article submission sites are popular, I am creating this site as the first step towards something better.

I am resonably happy with my design and colors, but any comments would be great. Some things that would be quite helpful are:
    - How easy is user registration?
    - How easy is user login?
    - Any feature missing?

I am aware that it fails horribly with the W3C Validator.
    Webmaster of Music Guidebook
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I like this site. It just doesn't seem very friendly.

When I first joined it seemed as though I may have ended up at a parked domain or link farm.

I understand the simple look your going for.. but your load times wont suffer from adding a gradient to the nav and maybe some rollover effect on nav buttons.

view this example that I reviewed on another site. very simple design, but notice the navigation bar. http://www.froggertv.com/

Comments on this post

• thing2b agrees : Thanks
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by brandon509
    I like this site. It just doesn't seem very friendly.

When I first joined it seemed as though I may have ended up at a parked domain or link farm.

I understand the simple look your going for.. but your load times wont suffer from adding a gradient to the nav and maybe some rollover effect on nav buttons.

view this example that I reviewed on another site. very simple design, but notice the navigation bar. http://www.froggertv.com/
    Thank you so much. Your message make a great deal of sense to me. I am very impressed by your example, just how it looks so great, yet so simple.

Now I need to figure out how to get a template/layout that looks that good. I suspect that it is beyond my abilities.

When you say "It just doesn't seem very friendly", are you talking about the look as well, or is it also hard to use? if it is hard to use, can you give an example?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by thing2b
    Thank you so much. Your message make a great deal of sense to me. I am very impressed by your example, just how it looks so great, yet so simple.

Now I need to figure out how to get a template/layout that looks that good. I suspect that it is beyond my abilities.

When you say "It just doesn't seem very friendly", are you talking about the look as well, or is it also hard to use? if it is hard to use, can you give an example?
    lol when you say, it is not that friendly, I can see why. The site broke. Such a stupid mistake, not sure why I did not find it. Thank you once again.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm glad you got that fixed!

I dont think it would be something out of your reach. Do you have photoshop or something like this?

If you do not have photoshop we can you use css to spiff up your page, take this site for example, http://www.wesayit.net/ . Notice how the nav doesn't use any graphics, its all using css.

The best thing you can do as a new website is study your competition: imitate, improve and differentiate.
  11. Contributing User

Looks pretty basic to me. I do kind of like the logo though. Maybe more of a brain shape to it instead of the oval?

Thanks,
    Minnow
    http://www.minnowwebdesign.com - Web Design for the small business and non-profits.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Front Page, is rather plain. Consider adding some color and formatting with rollovers on the menu.

Search is taking up space in your main content area. Could be moved further to the right. Search is on every page - do not need a separate page for it.

Navigation clues do not make sense. When you click on Articles or Search, it shows Front Page > Search, or Front Page > Articles as if you are on a subpage of the front page. You can remove this and save some space. Again, can use menu to indicate which page you are on.

The intent of the website is not clear. The submission of articles is not explained.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Front Page, is rather plain. Consider adding some color and formatting with rollovers on the menu.

Search is taking up space in your main content area. Could be moved further to the right. Search is on every page - do not need a separate page for it.

Navigation clues do not make sense. When you click on Articles or Search, it shows Front Page > Search, or Front Page > Articles as if you are on a subpage of the front page. You can remove this and save some space. Again, can use menu to indicate which page you are on.

The intent of the website is not clear. The submission of articles is not explained.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo